PDA

View Full Version : Teachers would you carry?

CM9carry
01-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Not sure how many teachers we have on the forum, but those that are would you carry while at work if it were legal? Those who have kids, would you send your kids to a school that allowed this?

LProf
01-20-2013, 08:10 PM
I am a university(law) professor and would definitely carry, if allowed.

Planedude
01-20-2013, 09:30 PM
I have the feeling and am of the mindset that teachers/staff "carrying" maybe the only workable soloution to this problem.
When this opinion was brought up before a group of "rights-haters" it was met with the whole row of catcalls and guffaws. Still, I stand by this postion, while these schools shootings are horrible, they are the tiniest fraction of what endangers our kids in schools each day. School admins know this and have spent their dwindling dollars on things other than armed cops to roam the hallways. The unfourtunate truth is we as a nation will demand school cops, but balk at paying for them. Once the memeory of Sandy Hook fades we will demand our schools bring up test scores and improve sports or band or the arts in our schools. Bored school cops will be caught anywhere but schools by the story hungry media and todays outrage will be replaced by a different outrage.
Those sorry lowlifes that would plot to do harm at a school should be expected to study their targets. In every shooting that I remember, the shooter(s) were very framilar with the target. Am I to belive that a badguy would never have a plan to deal with ONE armed officer? If this person(s) takes out the only officer at the start, then what?
I feel an unknown number of teachers/staff that carry represent a better deterrent. They would need extra tranning and leagl coverage under the law from a sue happy world that will judge them afterwords based on what the media pumps out. When I hear from teachers (my daughter is one) about carry, it is the liability of what happens "after the fact" that stops them from thinking they could. We as a nation can fix that. School districts will find alot of help in the trainning department from the shooting comunity. I feel a liability rider on the insurance (coverage for the rarest event that might ever happen) must be cheaper than a full time security staff whose pay/benefits will not be minor.
And an unknown number of folks willing and able to shoot back at the BG should bring him to pause...
...But if they are nutty enough, only a well aimed shot may stop them.
Very sad, but true. As the father of a teacher, I wish the world was very different. I offer prayers for a safer world for our children and the school staff that cares enough to guide them.

KoolBreeze
01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm not a teacher, but I do have kids presently in school, a sophomore in college and a 3rd grader. I'd absolutely send them to a school that allowed the teachers to carry and feel like they were much safer because of it. But I don't feel like teachers should be pressured into carrying. I think the schools should provide security be it in the form of a LEO, retired LEO, or other means.

phil413tx
01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm not a teacher, but I do have kids presently in school, a sophomore in college and a 3rd grader. I'd absolutely send them to a school that allowed the teachers to carry and feel like they were much safer because of it. But I don't feel like teachers should be pressured into carrying. I think the schools should provide security be it in the form of a LEO, retired LEO, or other means.

+1. I am not a teacher either but I have 2 young boys and I would feel safer if someone in that school was armed.

downtownv
01-21-2013, 03:56 AM
Front Site offered Free Training for Teachers after the NewTown Incident!

Popeye
01-21-2013, 04:51 AM
If I was a teacher who loved teaching children and cared about there safety, then yes I would gladly step up to the plate and CC a firearm to insure there safety. However I do have questions about law suits that could arise because a teacher was viewed as doing to much or to little in a situation when the bullets start flying.
I do believe that there should be no advertising that anyplace is a gun free zone. These signs are the worst thing we could possibly do to insure anyones safety. I just do not understand how anyone could possibly think that a Gun free zone sticker is going to stop anyone who is out to create problems. Gun free stickers might stop your average law abiding citizen from carrying a gun on school grounds.
However is that what we really need or want to do if an emergency starts and we need people who can possibly stop the threat. Not in my world.

RWillieK
01-21-2013, 05:24 AM
My wife says she would carry if allowed to do so (Sig P238).

cloud
01-21-2013, 06:19 AM
My wife is a teacher and says she would not carry. She does not even like it when I carry.I won't even tell her I'm carrying anymore.But than again nobody knows when I carry.

muggsy
01-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Not sure how many teachers we have on the forum, but those that are would you carry while at work if it were legal? Those who have kids, would you send your kids to a school that allowed this?

My wife was a 2nd grade teacher for 35 years. She said she wouldn't carry, because she was afraid that one of her students might go for her gun and try to pistol whip her. The kids from Cleveland can be pretty rough. Seriously, she never felt the need until the recent school shootings.

Barth
01-21-2013, 06:57 AM
I don't think there is anything different about teaching,
with any other occupation, in respect to concealed carry.

Most of us with permits are not allowed to carry at work.
Most of us would carry if it were allowed.

Granted, the ridiculous gun free zone shooting galleries,
that schools are a part of, puts those places at greater risk.

Armybrat
01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Am a retired teacher, but would have carried if allowed back in the day.

However, this H&R 12 Ga. with 19" bbl & 00 buck was always stashed in the hidden floor rack of my truck parked in the street about 20' away from my portable classroom:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/VegasCosmo2011.jpg

It now resides in the closet next to the computer work station in my home office.

Kiehtan
01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm a Rhode Island school high school teacher, and it is legal to carry with a valid RI permit. However, it's still against the district weapons policy without administrative approval, thus I'd still lose my job. But would I carry with permission? Absolutely!

stickbow9
01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
I would definitely allow or encourage my son to attend a school that allowed CCW to operate in the school. Students would not know and it would definitely go along way to de-establishing the gun free zones (a.k.a. free kill zones) here in Washington State.

Zippo Guy
01-21-2013, 02:17 PM
As a retired teacher and administrator I would have carried if allowed by district policy. I did keep a loaded gun locked up in my car as an administrator as I had reserved parking right outside my office door.

If properly trained and with the right mindset, I would encourage teachers to consider if allowed. My fear is that it may be kept off person, in a purse or pack and be found by a student. I have seen too many items stolen over the years by students in places they shouldn't have been.

In a lot of our rural schools our bus drivers and maintenance staff are also volunteer firemen or search and rescue. I would encourage them to also be trained and armed if able and willing.

I do have a real problem with armed parents visiting schools. That is something that I really don't want to see.

downtownv
01-21-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm a Rhode Island school high school teacher, and it is legal to carry with a valid RI permit. However, it's still against the district weapons policy without administrative approval, thus I'd still lose my job. But would I carry with permission? Absolutely!

There-in lies the problem... The State says it's ok but the school admin says no. Gun-free Kill Zone. Interesting legal line being drawn there.:75:

jocko
01-21-2013, 02:50 PM
welltoday IMO for sure a teacher should begiven theopprtunity to carry if legal.This bull sh!tif maybe a teacher going postalis ure b.S. A teacher can go postal anyhow, he needsno permit t6o sneakaguninto the school.So should I not be allowed to protect myself from a postal school teacher or custodian or bus driver. Pure unadultereated bullsh1t.Letalone for protecting of trhe kids to, I wanna be able to protect myself..

KoolBreeze
01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
There-in lies the problem... The State says it's ok but the school admin says no. Gun-free Kill Zone. Interesting legal line being drawn there.:75:

It is legal here to carry in schools if you have the enhanced carry permit. Going off what a state representative (whom is also an attorney) recently stated on a local talk radio show, state law would trump the policy of a public school. But laws vary state to state.

jocko
01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
what the hell is an enhanced carry permit???? That law would not be trumped in Indiana. Itis Indiana law that no guns on school property, not school policy..

drewtaylor21
01-22-2013, 01:54 AM
As a graduate student who has taught and plans to continue teaching at the undergraduate level, it brings me great pride to live in the state of Utah, where carrying on campus is legal! While I try my best to be fair and friendly to all my students, I've heard several horror stories about college students threatening their teachers' lives and causing genuine fear in these educators, not to mention the shootings we've all seen in the last decade. I only hope that once I finish grad school and begin looking for professorships more states will have taken the stance that Utah has!