PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bore in P380

fastgun
03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I noticed that Buffalo Bore now has standard pressure .380 ammo.

What are your thoughts about the heavy bullet as compared to the hollow point?

Do you think this type of bullet is a good choice for self defense usage
as compared to the hollow point?

Thanks

bayoutrigger
03-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Good question. I'm looking forward to some answers on this.

Flint Ridge
03-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Doesn't the owners manual state not to shoot cast bullets? Because of the Polygon barrel?

medezyner
03-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I think any product from Buffalo Bore is top quality, but as far as a standard pressure SD round in .380 caliber? I’m gonna pass. I figure the .380 needs all the horsepower it can get in order not to piss off the BG when you hit’em in any area that isn’t critical. For that matter, any BG juiced-up that gets a hit in a not critical area even with a .45 may still split your noggin open before you get the second shot off. With that said, I do carry a .380 when I can’t conceal a 9 or 45. Like the saying goes: “a 380 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the truck”.

fastgun
03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Doesn't the owners manual state not to shoot cast bullets? Because of the Polygon barrel?

The only applicable notation is on page 21 that says Lead unjacketed ammo CAN cause excessive bore fouling and that this will need extra attention to cleaning.

Medezyner, I can appreciate your liking more power. Since many of us do not want to use +p I would still appreciate thoughts and opinions concerning the the two bullets as to which would be a better round. Please help us understand what you would recommend for standard pressure .380.

The Buffalo Bore +p is the only commercially available +p .380 on the market. Critical Defense is pretty hot but I do not think they stray from SAAMI standard pressure. Every other round in the .380 market is standard pressure... assuming Santa Barbara is no longer being produced.
(This is edited to say that MagTec is also labeled as being +P.)

I do agree that more power will work better, but if we decide that we will select only a standard pressure round, let's talk about which will do a better job with the limited power we have.

What Bullet style is preferred for self-defense, the hard cast or the hollow-point?

Thank you.

medezyner
03-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Medezyner, I can appreciate your liking more power. Since many of us do not want to use +p I would still appreciate thoughts and opinions concerning the the two bullets as to which would be a better round. Please help us understand what you would recommend for standard pressure .380.

The Buffalo Bore +p is the only commercially available +p .380 on the market. Critical Defense is pretty hot but I do not think they stray from SAAMI standard pressure. Every other round in the .380 market is standard pressure... assuming Santa Barbara is no longer being produced.

I do agree that more power will work better, but if we decide that we will select only a standard pressure round, let's talk about which will do a better job with the limited power we have.

What Bullet style is preferred for self-defense, the hard cast or the hollow-point?

Thank you.

I guess I was taking a simplistic view of the .380 round and it's short-comings. I was looking at throwing the most mass at the highest velocity for the greatest damage. If its rated for +P, then practice it, and shoot it (in manageable quantities) ouch! Your right, the .380 has limited power, so what’s the best configuration? Thats a damn good question, one we might have to stake our lives on.
p.s. Magtech also makes a .380 +P

fastgun
03-27-2010, 08:14 PM
I've been seeing Magtech for sale in a few places.
To me and my area this is a newer brand that I know nothing about.

Now to do some on line research......

Thanks.

berge
03-27-2010, 10:16 PM
I picked up a box of Magtech Guardian Gold 380 AUTO+P 85 GR JHP ammunition a few days ago. I've not tried it yet.

jlottmc
04-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Try their solid copper hollow points. That's what mine is stoked with. As an aside so is my P45. Me I would use a good hollow point and not look back. Buffalo bore +p in 380 with a hollow point...That'll do donkey, that'll do.

wyntrout
04-17-2010, 04:03 PM
It's certainly stout enough, but I need to get the FTFeed thing licked. After shooting the Aguila FMJ, the BB 90-gr +P stuff woke me up the first shot or two and then I adjusted to the recoil and report. You certainly notice a difference!
Wynn:D

jocko
04-17-2010, 04:20 PM
I do know that ruger and kel tec does not recommend BB ammo in their 380"s. It has extremely high pressure. there is no real saami standards for +P380 ammo, so when someone states +P, normally it is pure ad hype but this BB ammo is very very hot. (maybe even to hot) I don't know what kahrs stance is on the BB ammo. I sometime thing we are trying to put alot of pressure on these little guns with little barrels to.. Just my 2 cents..