PDA

View Full Version : CW9 with 22lb Wolf Spring

RWillieK
01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Got a chance to take the CW9 over to the range today.

I previously had an issue with shooting high and left in the past. With the 22lb spring and stainless guide rod, I'm now shooting lower and still a hair left.

The left part could be my sight.....I'm right handed, and left eye dominate.

I'll post a photo in a moment.

I like the way the fun feels with the new spring and guide rod! A great improvement.

RWillieK

RWillieK
01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr25/rwilliek/image-3_zpsdf56aebd.jpg

As you can see, the grouping is pretty decent (the ones really high where indeed head shots). Two different brands of Ammo - Federal and PPU

Short Bus
01-24-2013, 06:42 AM
I am happy with my #22 spring also, IMO it gives you less felt recoil and just a better feel while shooting.

muggsy
01-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Shooting low and to the left could be a function of how you are gripping the gun and pulling the trigger. See the video. Shooting low can also be caused by anticipating recoil and pushing the gun forward and down as the shot breaks. Learning the proper technique and trigger time will eliminate most shooting errors.

http://www.youtube.com/user/flicksguns#p/u/11/zKdXmcdB5WE

addictedhealer
01-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Good grouping. Clearly good shooting, just gotta do some fine tuning.

RWillieK
01-24-2013, 11:53 AM
If I hadn't usually been shooting high and left, I would agree on the anticipating the recoil. I should have brought the original spring and thrown it in there for comparison.

Once my Trijicon sights come in (If the Karh shop ever gets them off backorder) I will have the sights pushed a little to center up the Point of Aim (since I'm right handed, left eye dominate). That should help center up the shots.

jocko
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
I can believe the 22# spring helping felt recoil. I have a hard time with the groups though, as the recoil assembly does not come into play until the bullet has left the gun. I think the shooter is just getting more use dto his kahr. Just my opinion, for it it helps, stick with it..

JohnR
01-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I wonder if a heavier recoil spring would soften the CW45's recoil? Anyone tried it?

jocko
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
port it and then really enjoy it..

JohnR
01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Port a CW45?

jocko
01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
sure why not..

JohnR
01-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Mmmmm, cuz a spring is cheaper?

muggsy
01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
From looking at the target, if you were consistently shooting at the x, the shots in the 8 ring and below indicate that you are anticipating recoil and pushing the gun forward and down as the trigger breaks. Assuming that you haven't moved the sights the shots grouping to the left of center indicate that you a putting pressure in the trigger from right to left and not straight back as the video suggested. I shoot right handed but have been forced to sight with my left eye because of an eye problem and I can still center my shots on the target.

RWillieK
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Mugsy - some of the shots were pretty low when I started, and it may very well have been from me anticipating.....I haven't shot in a month or more.....some of the stray shots were from me aiming elsewhere....the majority of the time I was aiming in the red.

I do shoot with a relaxed third knuckle, which does help. I'm not sure what else I can do to pull the trigger straighter.

muggsy
01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
The four components of accuracy are sight picture, sight alignment, trigger control and follow through. You must also have a good balanced stance and a proper grip. If your grip changes from shot to shot your accuracy will suffer. Dry firing really helps with trigger control and follow through. Without actually seeing you shoot it would be hard for me to diagnose the problem, but shooting from a solid rest should help you to determine if your rear sight actually need to be adjusted for windage. By changing your sight picture you can adjust for elevation.

JohnR
01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
What I was taught at Appleseed, for follow-through, is you squeeeeeze the trigger, hold it back, let it slowly move forward till it resets, then do it again all in slow, deliberate moves. When you can do it properly you can speed it up. Never remove your finger from the trigger, don't let your finger dance around. That helped me a lot.

A laser helps too. I use a Laserlyte bore laser and you can really see when it's a blur, a line, or remains a dot.

Not that I'm such a great shooter, but at least I know where I screw up.

balok1701
01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what was the factory spring rated at? Did you change it to soften recoil? I have a CW40 and it sure could use some softening.

jocko
01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
20#

It will help but nuttn like a good magna orting will do for it.. U have cannon my friend in the 40 kal poly kahrs.

Short Bus
01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what was the factory spring rated at? Did you change it to soften recoil? I have a CW40 and it sure could use some softening.
With a 40, I would try the #23 spring.

jocko
01-25-2013, 06:47 PM
makesw u wonder, the PM40 uses the same recoil spring as ther PM9 18# factory. does that make sense. My thoughts on it is, one would have one hell of a time hand racking a 22# recoil spring in the pm and cm40 which use the same exact recoil spring assembly and the PM9 and cm(. go figure.

U might and I say might get some type of slide not locking with the 9mm using a 22# sprng but certainly not with the 40 cal kahrs. 22 kor 23# I wouldthink wold be ideal, if u can handle the racking thng. Probalby after a 100 rounds down range it will take a nice spring set and one should be able to hand rack it with little trouble.

I presently use the 20.5# recoil spring by wolffs for my old style PM9 andit works great. I really can't tellu if I notice anything different either as my PM9 is ported to and it does more thanthe recoil springs do for control..:amflag:

19Delta
01-27-2013, 06:23 AM
I am by no means an expert. I am in fact a novice.

I did however get some expert help from Special forces guy that was in charge of the special force ranges. I am also right handed, and left eye dominant (dang it). He had me squeeze a little harder with my right hand. Not a death grip of course, just a tad harder, and loosen a tad with the left.

Example would be, you were 30% tightness of your strength with your right, and 70% with your left (I think that is the preferred ratio??), you would want to slightly change to RH 40-45% and LH 55-60%.

It did wonders for me. I was literally hitting golf balls off the ground at 5 yards with my CM9 the first clip. It was SLOW shooting, not tactical speeds by any means. I really want to improve my speed!