PDA

View Full Version : Local Gun Show report

wyntrout
03-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, after several recent complaints about MFS .380 acp ammo, I sold my 500 rounds of FMJ quickly at the local gun show... for a few bucks more than I paid. Now I just have to start looking for good deals again... for ammo that will work well in my as yet unreceived P380N.
I saw .380 for $22 a box of 50 for FMJ at several dealers and none would come down at all... I offered $100 for 5 boxes and had no takers. I sold mine for $18 a box... 10 boxes and then later saw someone else selling it. He had "tired" of carrying it and sold most to a dealer(friend?).

Now all I have is my 200 rounds of Aguila FMJ for break-in and 160 rounds of BB 90-gr JHP +P for defense, if that shoots well.

Overall at the show there was ammo available at "Internet prices" -- competitive prices -- and I had to lower some of my 9mm defense ammo to be competitive with the prevailing prices, surprisingly. I only sold one box of 9mm Rem. GS 124 (25rds) for $20, and that was during the deal where I sold the .380 ammo. All in all, I'm glad I sold $200 worth of ammo, which I spent on other stuff there and on ammo at Wal*Mart and D!cks Sporting Goods, where surprisingly, I found sales and decent prices on 9mm and .45 acp FMJ for range fodder. Nice day.

I saw Winchester Talon ammo there and I even saw the 230-grain .45 ACP that I had wanted but couldn't find(only saw +P online), for $35 a box of 50! I have already committed to Remington Bonded Golden Saber 230-grain JHP, though, and that got BACK in town from its jaunt over to Orlando, after arriving here in Jacksonville yesterday. If it stays in town, I may get it Monday... as "scheduled".:rolleyes:

First, I went to D!cks where I found Remington UMC 9mm 115 FMJ for $12.98 a box of 50(regular $14.99)... got 2 of those. The .45 ACP 230-gr FMJ was $18.98 (regular $24.99)... got 6 of those. I got $10 off the sale as a military discount and paid 7% tax on the rest. The $10 was for a purchase of more than $50. If that's a regular thing, I'll buy smaller amounts to get more discounts in the future. Their Rewards program gives you a $10 coupon for every $300 you spend, BUT, that's not usable on ammo purchases!:confused:

Then I went to Wally World where I found Federal 9mm 115-gr FMJ for $9.47 a box of 50! I got 4 and paid &% sales tax on that.

A couple of dealers had a bunch of Kahrs and the larger one was selling CW9's and 40's for $379.99, but seemed to be out of CW9's. Others were selling those for up to $499.99! that larger dealer had P's and PM's for about $750 to $800. A black PM45 without NS was $800. A PM9 matte SS with NS was $760 or $770. I saw at least a couple of P380's in the mid-$500 price range. An all-matte SS Sig 238 with NS was $800.
I didn't see anyone selling 1911 parts... old stuff... so I didn't see any loose metal .45 magazine followers, and the dealer where I got my last poster-sized silhouettes didn't have any of those.:(

For those who didn't see what I posted about making a 6-round mag out of the 5-round Kahr by just swapping a metal S&W 645/4506 follower(old, from broken mag I had). That allowed 6 rounds to be loaded but the slide would not lock back on an empty magazine. had I found a 1911 type with the little "finger" on the slide release side, I could have tried bending that up to lock the slide back. Something like that may work. I should have bought one of those rusty, ratty-looking 1911 mags to get the follower to experiment with.
This might amount to a lot of trouble to get one more round in that 5-round magazine, but it might work out and be worthwhile.:D

Pix of the ammo I bought follow.
A good day out... I got exercise, too!:p
Wynn:D