PDA

View Full Version : a brace of Bearcats

CJB
01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Got a call today, and the pair of Ruger stainless Bearcats arrived this afternoon. I'll be picking them up tomorrow, with pictures to shortly follow.

getsome
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Those will make a real nice pair of 6 shooters....When my 3 children were born I sold off all my firearms (like a fool) but the boss demanded it and to shut her up and keep SHMBO happy (I was all out of diamonds) I sold everything...

When the youngest son got old enough to shoot I bought a little stainless .22 Ruger Bearcat and all 3 of my kids learned the safety rules and how to shoot a handgun with it...I almost traded it one time but didn't and now I'm glad I still have it and after thousands of rounds it still looks like brand new to this day....I told my youngest son (only one that likes to shoot) that when I cross the river he can have it to give to his kid someday and now that I hear Ruger is going to discontinue the Bearcat (don't understand why unless sales are really low) it may be collectible one day....

Congrats CJB on your new twins!!!

mr surveyor
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
nice.

That's another one on my very short-short list. Preferably pre 1980's

CJB
01-24-2013, 06:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/bandersnatchreverb/Firearms/IMG_4841_zpsc6e328ab.jpg

Went and picked up the Bearcats today.

Fairly well impressed. The fit and finish is excellent. A few little touch ups could be done inside the loading gate area (on the frame) - no big deal, and you'd only see the lack of fine polish when loading or unloading. A little Flitz should fix that. Both guns have the same dull area at the loading gate, so it must be how they polished 'em.

Guns born on Dec 6th, and Dec 7th, 2012 respectively.

If you look close, you'll see a little gap between the trigger guard and frame of the one gun. The screw holding the trigger guard was about 1/2 turn loose. Only saw that after I saw the picture on my screen. Its fixed.

The grips are a very nice laminate, fairly well matched. Fit to the frame is very good, not excellent, but very good.

Wide spur hammer is standard, and is nicely grooved for yer thumb to grab easily.

The triggers - those dainty little triggers - are very nice on the finger, not the usual sharp sided Ruger fare. They both feel exactly the same. No grit, no unexpected catching. Just a smooth pull at an estimated 4lbs. Sorry my weights are not with me, but the pull weight is not what I would have expected from Ruger. Both triggers are just shy of being overly creepy. There's a little creep, not much. You really can't feel it with good trigger technique. If you rest your finger on the trigger guard while squeezing, you'll notice the movement, and the little creep. Its not bad. Not 1911 type, but not bad. Feels like a good SA release on a DA/SA revolver.

The sights are straight - good for a fixed blade! The rear notch shows the typical Ruger fitting. Very slightly off center - on purpose. They have a machine that will grind that rear slot to match the point of impact to the sights. The rear sights will usually show just a tad of "correction" as its nearly impossible to get a fixed blade to line up perfectly. Its good that Ruger does it that way. My old SP101 is done the same way, and its dead nuts centered when I shoot it.

All the parts, are dainty. A tiny little ejector rod housing. Tiny base pin. Tiny cylinder. These are small guns. But, that being the case... they fit well in my XL sized hands.

It took just a few minutes of practice with cocking and releasing (dry fire is ok), and I was pulling and twirling both like they were born in my hands. That little bit of bravado that Josey Wales pulls close to the end of the film, dry firing one then the other single action revolver - takes a huge amount of concentration to pull off! I tried it! Kudo's to Eastwood on that.

The crowns are fully machined, with perfect relief cuts at the bore. They look like "expensive" crowns... not the usual stuff you see on the typical Ruger. I wonder why they did it that way.....

The engraving on both cylinders is perfect. No light spots, no smears. The barrel markings are deep and clear. Ditto, the frame markings.

Loading gates smooth, no binding. Cocking smooth.

Except for a little factory crud on the front sight of the one pistol, and the loose screw, I'd say we have close to perfection.

These used to come in a nice zipper case, with embroidered Ruger logo. Not any more. Now they're packed in a plastic Ruger marked case, with test cartridge, manual, discount coupon from the Ruger store online (for apparel only), and a huge lock to be used on the open frame of the revolver when the cylinder is removed - for safety.

Funny thing about the lock. It does not fit the case in any way, shape, or form. And the revolver will not fit in the case with the lock attached. The instruction book shows a loop type lock. The lock they provide looks like a keyed Master Lock, with the Ruger logo on it. Its gigantic....

Got to burn up the money that was going toward the KSG, and that page in life is turned. One of these guns will get the .22LR erased from its cylinder, and .22WMR put there instead. I plan on chambering one revolver for use with 22 mags.

And thats about it. Well pleased. Range report to follow.....

Bawanna
01-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Very nice! You sure those grips are laminate though. They look like nice grained walnut to me. I like em.

My aunt has an older blued Bearcat that is still in pristene condition. Saw it a year or so ago. Love to talk her out of it one day.

CJB
01-25-2013, 04:45 AM
I'll take another look at 'em Bawanna, but they sorta "smell" like laminate, are very finely finished - no grain - like they're polished almost like Micarta.

Maybe... I'll dig out the CB caps and pop a few in the back yard this weekend.

CJB
01-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Yup, laminate. Supposed to be Dymondwood laminatd. I'd not mind some outrageois alternate...

Bawanna
01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Define outrageous?

MW surveyor
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
I'd not mind some outrageois alternate...

No, define outrageois.

CJB
01-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Somr really colorful lam or wood.

Bawanna
01-25-2013, 10:28 AM
No, define outrageois.

My bad.

I'll ponder outrageois a bit CJB.

Armybrat
01-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Beautiful pair. As much as I've always loved Rugers, I've never had a Bearcat.

gb6491
01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Very nice CJB!
I'm liking the new Lipsey's Shopkeeper's version and your photo has made me want one even more:)
As a little payback for that siren like photo, here's a link you may be interested in:D:
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/parts_store/ruger_bearcat_steel_ejector_housings.html
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
01-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Wow those aren't unreasonable in price it don't seem like either.

Bowen sure does some incredible stuff.

CJB
01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
No, define outrageois.
hey its the best I can gd do from my lil ol fone!

CJB
01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Ok back to a keyboard.

Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous. Outrageous.

There! 50 times!

Back to the grips....

A black and purple laminate, or black and red (Nice Ruger colors). Maybe a red/white/blue laminate? Blue and green?

OR

Some interesting wood. Birdseye maple, or maybe some purpleheart, or koa, or zebrawood, something unusual.

!~~~!

I think ol' Bawanna has changed the 50weight in hiss'noggin' recently, cuz its hard to hear them gears churn in there!

Bawanna
01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Looks like I best see if my aunt will let me borrow hers to use as a model.

Revolvers aren't a whole lot of fun but I'm looking at this as a personal challenge.

Anybody know if there's a difference in the grip on the old and new models. I know she's had hers for many many years.

Bawanna
01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
"I think ol' Bawanna has changed the 50weight in hiss'noggin' recently, cuz its hard to hear them gears churn in there! "

I'm runnin it dry now, see or smell the smoke. Less drag that the 50 weight but dreadful over heating issues. Working it way too hard. Too small I'm thinking.

jocko
01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
My bad.

I'll ponder outrageois a bit CJB.

thatishow I would have spelled it and no one would have dared to correct me either.Justsayin:behindsofa:

MW surveyor
01-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Well, with the exception of "thisishow" you did good. :)

CJB - I can tell you Zebra wood looks pretty darn good. Made up a set for my Single Six (book matched). Just about anything looks good on those Bearcats.

Bawanna
01-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Well, with the exception of "thisishow" you did good. :)

Actually its thatishow but who's really keeping track anyhow ya know. This, that, whats' the diff ya know.:amflag:

MW surveyor
01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Dang, screwed up again!

I'll be under my rock if anyone needs me.

CJB
01-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Looks like I best see if my aunt will let me borrow hers to use as a model.

Bawanna.... shall I send you a tracing of, or the actual grips so you can have a pattern?

Bawanna
01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
That might be a good solution if we can't determine if they are the same.
If they are different I'll have to find a new model. I just did a set for Bobby, making a grip from a grip, hopefully hear today if they come close to fitting.
I told myself after that, no more making a grip from a grip.
With gun in hand it would have been a quick project but fooling around with tracings and wax cast took a long time and I have no idea if they will even fit.

I'll send you my address in a PM. I'll send a message up to my aunt to see if she'll let me borrow hers. She's pretty attached to it but might loan it to me for a while.