PDA

View Full Version : Geico cancels car insurance over guns

Armybrat
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
http://www.silverdoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/geico-cancels-insurance.jpg

wyntrout
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I used them until I got USAA back in 1973. My guns are insured with USAA, too. Any honorably discharged former military can join USAA and get insurance. I get money back on my total insurance with USAA... returned premiums each year. It depends on what their expenses were the previous year and what they predict they will need for a reserve. It has ranged from about $70 to over $600 back a few years... last year I got back $284. ALL of my insurance is with them since 1973.:Amflag2:

I couldn't wait to ditch GEICO... they bought up the inventory stock of LASER speed detectors from a FAILING company and passed them out to LE Departments... keeping that company alive. They have cool ads... but they are LIBTARDS!

Previous military? Check out usaa.com!

Hey! Thanks for the AMERICAN FLAG!

Wynn:)

Longitude Zero
01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
They have cool ads... but they are LIBTARDS!

Agreed. They are also cheapskates in paying claims.

chrish
01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
More Chicago gangsta organized crime type stunts if you ask me. Banks will begin to refuse to do business w/ gun companies, particularly the big ones. Insurance companies will change their UW practices to prevent gun companies from being able to insure themselves against liability. They already tried to hold gun companies accountable for death and when that failed, they started down this path and are obviously gaining some ground.

Couple this type of tactic w/ taxing ammo and guns off the chart, which the SCOTUS has proved they would back w/o even questioning it...they won't have to take them, you won't be able to afford to fire them.

Hang on to your ammo folks. Stop going to the range.

Longitude Zero
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Couple this type of tactic w/ taxing ammo and guns off the chart, which the SCOTUS has proved they would back w/o even questioning it...they won't have to take them, you won't be able to afford to fire them.

Hang on to your ammo folks. Stop going to the range.

Sadly I think we might be headed in that direction.

wyntrout
01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
After mny Underwood +P test, I bought a box of range ammo... AAA .45 for $17+tax. I plan to augment my shooting supply that way!

Wynn:D

muggsy
01-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Screw the gecko. Progressive is no better.

O'Dell
01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
I dropped Progressive and went with Dairyland for my CBR600 because of their liberal bias. However, I have been with GEICO on my cars for over thirty years, and am not about to drop them. I get good rates [the Corvettes cost about 1/2 the rate on the Prius] and for the one claim I've have, they were prompt and fair. In that instance, the adjuster saw the pistol in the glove compartment and even ask what I thought of it, but made no other comment.

Of course, I'm not the the arms business either!

wyntrout
01-25-2013, 03:00 PM
You could check out USAA and see if you can get a better deal.

O'Dell
01-25-2013, 04:35 PM
You could check out USAA and see if you can get a better deal.

Already have plus nearly everyone else - haven't been able to beat GEICO yet.

mr surveyor
01-25-2013, 04:36 PM
I thought I'd heard/read something in the last couple of years about USAA being very much non gun friendly

ltxi
01-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Let's see....an Association founded by military officers for military and run by retired military. Not gun friendly?...don't think so.

wyntrout
01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
It must have been a rumor started by GEICO and/or Progressive.

USAA was started by and for military members and there are lots of benefits to membership. They used to be officers only, but have gradually increased the membership to anyone who has ever honorably served in the military. My ex-wife and very grown children are with their insurance group created for that purpose.

ltxi
01-25-2013, 05:03 PM
USAA member since '72

AJBert
01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Something ya'll may not know about USAA and why I would never have them...

After the 2004-2005 hurricane season, in which 4 major hurricanes hit Floride in '04 and Katrina and Rita in in LA, MS, AL and FL in '05, USAA cancelled ALL homeowners polices in the Gulf states. There are a number of bases along the gulf coast and even more veterans/retirees living along the gulf coast. A good number of them had USAA.

Really standing behind our military, right?

wyntrout
01-25-2013, 09:53 PM
BS! They stopped insuring more than your main/primary home on new members. I only own ONE home and never had my insurance change... except to go up because of state levies going up every year with some kind of new hurricane surcharge, fee, or tax.

I remember getting the notice from USAA that they were cutting back on the riskier vacation homes in hurricane-prone areas. I live in one, but this is my primary home and was not affected.

Wynn

warbird1
01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Thumbs down on both GEICO and Progressive.

zamboni
01-25-2013, 11:19 PM
BS! They stopped insuring more than your main/primary home on new members. I only own ONE home and never had my insurance change... except to go up because of state levies going up every year with some kind of new hurricane surcharge, fee, or tax.

I remember getting the notice from USAA that they were cutting back on the riskier vacation homes in hurricane-prone areas. I live in one, but this is my primary home and was not affected.

Wynn

Wyn, you might want to shop around on your home owner's ins. I'm in florida too and they told me the same bs when I asked why my rates kept going up every year. When I finally shopped around and changed companies, my rates went from $5000 per year with USAA to $1600 for a very similar policy. I had always assummed they were taking care of their clients, but they are just a greedy ins. company like all the rest.

wyntrout
01-25-2013, 11:36 PM
All coverages are not the same. I got my roof replaced last year and had the peel and stick membrane put on instead of the cheap felt or tarpaper stuff. The roof is supposed to be good for 135 MPH winds, though I don't think the house would stand that! I got my policy reduced with USAA after they gave me a wind-abatement inspector's name to use for a $99 fee negotiated by USAA. He was very thorough and checked everything, including the type of nails and how many per foot, etc. Used metal detector and took a ton of photos that he emailed to USAA with his report. My insurance WAS going to go to almost $1800 from about $1400, but after the inspection I got mine reduced to UNDER $1000. I was shocked at the difference. I have a very comprehensive plan with extras, too, but discounts for a lot of stuff.

There's not a BETTER deal out there... cheaper maybe, but not better. USAA is rated the highest or at worse, #2 some years by Consumer Reports. And, as a member, I get money back every year... return of premium... not taxable.

JERRY
01-26-2013, 12:17 AM
ive tried the 15 minute claim....as soon as i say i have USAA they almost automatically say they cant beat them. not only that, i get real customer service 24/7 with USAA and so far not one ioda of guff for the few claims ive had.

40cw
01-26-2013, 04:17 AM
We had Geico on my 16 year old daghters car, she was involved in a hit and run, where a semi side swiped her and kept going, he may not even have known he hit her due to the weight, and heavy downpour rain at the time, but anyway, Geico paid..then..dropped her.
six months later they sent a letter wanting us to come back...we toldthemto kiss our arsenal!

40cw
01-26-2013, 04:20 AM
Alfa beat thepants off Geico on my two Harleys!

muggsy
01-26-2013, 06:20 AM
I dropped Progressive and went with Dairyland for my CBR600 because of their liberal bias. However, I have been with GEICO on my cars for over thirty years, and am not about to drop them. I get good rates [the Corvettes cost about 1/2 the rate on the Prius] and for the one claim I've have, they were prompt and fair. In that instance, the adjuster saw the pistol in the glove compartment and even ask what I thought of it, but made no other comment.

Of course, I'm not the the arms business either!

It's a good thing your not in the arms business O'Dell, because all of your money that Progressive has given to Obama to support his election might just have put you out of business. What they saved you in insurance casts you're losing in ammo costs. Think about it the next time you send Progressive a check. Penny wise, pound foolish.

knkali
01-26-2013, 08:27 AM
ALL insurance companies suck. You have to lose to "win". There are times when you do say "wow, I am glad I have insurance" and if you have more than one of those moments, you get canceled. It seems most people pay for insurance for years and years and when they have a claim, the premiums paid are equal or exceed the dollar amount of the claim. This is OK with me. I realize that insurance companies are here to make money like any business. You pay for the hope of a promise to be fulfilled if needed at a later time. Sometimes when that fulfillment gets too big, things can get squirrelly. These companies are mega $$ and control policy and regulations so that their interests are covered even if it treds on your personal freedoms. Not only are you not as free, but it ends up costing you money too.

wyntrout
01-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Protest all you want... I'm not going to try to "educate" you in free enterprise and collectives that share costs in disasters, but you must have seen the TV news and documentaries of disaster victims with little or no insurance. They took a chance and lost everything. Not many people have nest eggs that can allow them to relocate and rebuild from scratch... or get the credit to do so.

It's like the towing insurance that I had with my 21+foot boat... over 4,000 pounds. I paid about $100 a year for the five years that I operated my boat, and had two tows at about $500 each. I came out ahead and was always secure in my mind that help was only a call on the radio or cell phone away. I didn't have to worry about costs and salvage situations where my boat could be ransomed for its value. I took a lot of courses with the US Power Squadron... now includes Sailing in the name. I was pretty ignorant about boats and marine procedures and regulations, etc., and this was my first boat.

Anyhow, you can't depend on others to know the rules of the road or water, let alone adhere to them... and stuff happens. Insurance can really be a "friend" in these cases. I know that I can depend on USAA to look out for my interests as well as those of the company and the membership, as they have in the past.

I've been with USAA since I could join... over 40 years... and just laugh when other companies try to say that they can do a better job and more cheaply. Most of those companies are for profit only and just look at the bottom dollar.

wyntrout
01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Oh, I had boat insurance, too. My boat and trailer cost me about $33K out the door in 1998 and I immediately put another $4 to $5K in equipment and upgrades... including mapping GPS, VHF Radio, FloScan Fuel Gauge, electronic compass, and much more. When I went to sell it and looked at replacement costs... it was more like $50 to $60K!

O'Dell
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
It's a good thing your not in the arms business O'Dell, because all of your money that Progressive has given to Obama to support his election might just have put you out of business. What they saved you in insurance casts you're losing in ammo costs. Think about it the next time you send Progressive a check. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Reread my post - I dropped Progressive over two years ago.

AJBert
01-26-2013, 04:43 PM

Wynn
Perhaps I should clarify what I meant when I said gulf coast states. USAA cancelled those policies for folks live ON the gulf coast. And, no, it is not BS. From Texas to FL. I'm not sure how far "inland" you have to live before they will insure you. I know many folks, both active, retired and veterans who could not renew the policies.

USAA did not come out and stop covering folks on a certain day, they just would not renew ANY policy if one happened to live along the gulf coast.

Have they changed their mind since then? I have no idea.

This from their own website:
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/advice_coastal_homebuying?akredirect=true

Just a quick Google search revealed:
http://blog.al.com/press-register-business/2011/01/insurers_tip-toe_in_coastal_ma.html

ltxi
01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
As noted, I'm a 40+ year USAA member. But I do not insure with them. I dropped out 20 years ago wrt homeowners and maybe 15 years ago auto. Traveler's is a better preferred risk here has equal or better claims service. USAA would be my reluctant second choice for insurance. They are, however, a fantastic bank.

knkali
01-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Protest all you want... I'm not going to try to "educate" you in free enterprise and collectives that share costs in disasters, but you must have seen the TV news and documentaries of disaster victims with little or no insurance. They took a chance and lost everything. Not many people have nest eggs that can allow them to relocate and rebuild from scratch... or get the credit to do so.

It's like the towing insurance that I had with my 21+foot boat... over 4,000 pounds. I paid about $100 a year for the five years that I operated my boat, and had two tows at about $500 each. I came out ahead and was always secure in my mind that help was only a call on the radio or cell phone away. I didn't have to worry about costs and salvage situations where my boat could be ransomed for its value. I took a lot of courses with the US Power Squadron... now includes Sailing in the name. I was pretty ignorant about boats and marine procedures and regulations, etc., and this was my first boat.

Anyhow, you can't depend on others to know the rules of the road or water, let alone adhere to them... and stuff happens. Insurance can really be a "friend" in these cases. I know that I can depend on USAA to look out for my interests as well as those of the company and the membership, as they have in the past.

I've been with USAA since I could join... over 40 years... and just laugh when other companies try to say that they can do a better job and more cheaply. Most of those companies are for profit only and just look at the bottom dollar.

I certainly can see the advantages of insurance for catastrophes and disasters. However, I am curious what the satisfaction ratings are from insured people that have gone through a disaster or catastrophe. But I guess that is what attorneys are for. I am all for free enterprise and insurance companies taking in more than they pay out. Profit is what it is all about. I don't think many people look at insurance companies in that light. After all, look at their advertising. They throw out words like "friend", "good neighbor" ect. I was along for an investigation recently where a rental home was dramatically destroyed through criminal activity. The house was in need of extensive repair. Despite insurance, the insured will still need to come up with a chunk of money, that he probably does not have, to get his home fit to live in again. The insured could take a check for what is covered but ultimately he still might not have a house that is habitable or close to what it was before the incident. Many think "I have insurance so it is covered 100% or that the event will not cost them anything because "I have insurance" when that is the furthest thing from the truth my good neighbor.

ltxi
01-26-2013, 07:07 PM
I've had good claims experience with top insurance companies. Recent also....last year was a bad year. Got my third $25K roof in 10 years six months ago due to yet another nasty hail storm. Same storm hammered my Chevy Avalanche to the tune of $5500. Wife got t-boned by a red light runner a year ago almost to the date. That was close to $13K. None of this was a hassle wrt my insurance coverage/company. All claims paid immediately. And none of it hammered my next renewal rates. Cost to me was a couple/three thousand deductible loss....as per contract and no more.

Do your homework, don't deal with the scam artists, chase value not price, only insure for what you can't afford to lose, and all will be fair and good.

wyntrout
01-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Profit is the main motive for businesses. It's how the owners make a living. I can't find fault with them when don't don't take on BAD risks... as those people who had 20-foot waves roll over their property. I live about 10 miles from the ocean and about 135 yards form the river... about 20 feet in elevation. I'm not required to have flood insurance and I choose not to have it. I have every other kind of insurance, though. Unless we have the BIG Tsunami... hundreds of feet-high wall of water... I feel pretty good about our chances. If the SHTF... all bets are off. I don't think that the two of us can long hold off the cockroaches when they come looking to share our stuff. We don't live in a bunker, but I have weapons, ammo, and electronic security devices for force multipliers... as long as we have power or battery power. I do have a big generator and a backup for that, but those are noisy and would attract cockroaches... and fuel for any length of time past a day or two would be short. I could run a generator for half an hour a day or whatever to keep the food frozen in the freezers, but not for any long period. Our canned food is good for maybe a month and it's doubtful that we could hold out that long against a major breakdown in law and order!

knkali
01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Profit is the main motive for businesses. It's how the owners make a living. I can't find fault with them when don't don't take on BAD risks... as those people who had 20-foot waves roll over their property. I live about 10 miles from the ocean and about 135 yards form the river... about 20 feet in elevation. I'm not required to have flood insurance and I choose not to have it. I have every other kind of insurance, though. Unless we have the BIG Tsunami... hundreds of feet-high wall of water... I feel pretty good about our chances. If the SHTF... all bets are off. I don't think that the two of us can long hold off the cockroaches when they come looking to share our stuff. We don't live in a bunker, but I have weapons, ammo, and electronic security devices for force multipliers... as long as we have power or battery power. I do have a big generator and a backup for that, but those are noisy and would attract cockroaches... and fuel for any length of time past a day or two would be short. I could run a generator for half an hour a day or whatever to keep the food frozen in the freezers, but not for any long period. Our canned food is good for maybe a month and it's doubtful that we could hold out that long against a major breakdown in law and order!

Thanks for the reminder. I have to through my bug out bags and check things again.

Wynn, dont forget extra meds(prescribed or OTC) in your set up.

wyntrout
01-26-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm type 2 diabetic, but I think I could survive without the pills. I forget them sometimes at night and the next morning the glucose level is down anyhow. I can only get a 90-day supply at a time, but it's not like I'm type 1 and need the shots or die!:eek:

I did read One Second After and the central figure's teenage daughter was type 1. Insulin doesn't last long without refrigeration!

knkali
01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm type 2 diabetic, but I think I could survive without the pills. I forget them sometimes at night and the next morning the glucose level is down anyhow. I can only get a 90-day supply at a time, but it's not like I'm type 1 and need the shots or die!:eek:

I did read One Second After and the central figure's teenage daughter was type 1. Insulin doesn't last long without refrigeration!

if you know someone going to mexico they can buy the drug for you over the counter or if you or someone you know is going to europe the same thing may be available. If your doc is cool, tell him/her why you want them and get a prescription, send it to a canadian pharmacy on line and get it there for cheaper than U.S and it wont show up on your insurance so your insurance will continue to $ for your doc's prescriptions (usually ins will only fill 3 months worth at a time).