PDA

View Full Version : New MK9 Owner - questions on model and grips

Traveller
03-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Brand new to the forum and Kahrs although I am not new to guns, and yesterday afternoon I picked up a new MK9 Elite. I only had a few minutes on the way home to run about a dozen rounds through it but I was blown away by the accuracy - all within 3 inches out to 15 yards off hand having never shot this gun before. The trigger feels longer than it is but it is smooth. I think I have my new favorite carry gun!

Two questions. I am interested in wood grips for it and searching the forums tells me the factory wood grips are most popular. I like the look of the smooth grips over the checkered but worry about them not having good grip or being slippery. Anyone have experience with that?

Secondly I was actually looking at a standard MK9 but they also had a new elite 98 for $20 less so I went with that. I know that means the gun has probably sat in a distribution warehouse for 7 or 8 years but I understand the only difference between the older elite 98 and the newer ones is the bevel in the mag well. Is that correct? Any concerns with buying the older model?

Thanks!

rholmes69
03-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I would think that the older gun would have the lifetime warranty where as the newer ones only have a 5 year, but I don't know if the warranty is "grandfathered" in based upon the year of manufacturer vs the date sold (for first owner that is).

hollander
03-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I purchased the checkered wood grips for my MK9. I love them. If you purchase them from the factory, make sure you have them send you the correct screws. They are different for the wood grips. The standard ones are about 2 threads too short since the wood grips are just a little thicker. Good luck and enjoy the new gun.

Traveller
03-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I will order grips tomorrow and ask for the longer screws.