PDA

View Full Version : SD amo for CW 45

Ram48
01-29-2013, 07:40 AM
I what to know what Ammo you all use for self defense I am more interested in learning what the CW 45 likes best for reliability. With the price of s.d. ammo so high I would like to try and save both time and money by eliminating what the gun obviously does not like.

Longitude Zero
01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Each gun is an individual. What works in my CW45 may not work as well in yours. I know it sounds strange but I have seen it happen. Mine eats up Federal 230grain (+P) HST.

Ram48
01-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Each gun is an individual. What works in my CW45 may not work as well in yours. I know it sounds strange but I have seen it happen. Mine eats up Federal 230grain (+P) HST.

I understand that, it is that way with most if not all Manuf. But I guess what I am looking for is the types that do or do not work in most cw 45s
Thanks for the help.

Longitude Zero
01-29-2013, 07:53 AM
For break in any and every hardball would generally work. As to specific loadings accuracy/depedability you would have to try out each and every one. Sadly in todays climate that might prove quite expensive. So I would suggest picking 2 or 3 to try and see what you weapon likes the best.

wyntrout
01-29-2013, 08:24 AM
The Speer 230-grain Gold Dots Short Barrel version is a popular bonded bullet, designed to perform in pistols like Kahrs with their short barrels. The short barreled version has a shallower, wider at the bottom, more cylindrical cavity. The regular Gold Dots are available in 50-round LE/Duty boxes and cheaper. The GDSB are available only in 20-round boxes, though, costing from just over $1 a bullet to over $2 a bullet, depending on where you buy them. I buy everything online... no tax and as low shipping costs as I can get.

Wynn:)

TheTman
01-29-2013, 09:40 AM
I used 230gr Hydra Shoks. The Hydra Shoks are said to open up at a lower velocity than some other HP bullets.

newCW45guy
01-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Win Defender PDX and the Speer GDSB both work well in mine.

JohnR
01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Any .45 ammo will do the job, it's not like FMJ bounces off of human skin.

Hollow points just do it with a wider wound channel (if they expand as designed).

I refuse to get caught up in the minutiae of which ammo to use. .45 FMJ ends up about as big as a 9mm JHP, and costs the same or less. That's just my two cents worth.

wyntrout
01-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Ball ammo usually penetrates AT LEAST half again as much as hollow cavity ammo and can cause way too much collateral damage. Something that penetrates 24" might be okay on the battlefield when you're shooting at massed enemy troops and hitting several with each bullet is to be desired... but not in "collateral-damage-rich" environments! Ball ammo slips through the target unless it encounters a vital organ or bones, without doing enough damage.

jlottmc
01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Nothing for me to say here, except that my P45 and the wife's CW45 aren't ammo sensitive. go with what the wise ones here have said, you'll be right as rain.

gb6491
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Nothing for me to say here, except that my P45 and the wife's CW45 aren't ammo sensitive. ...
Same here (CW45).
Regards,
Greg

Ram48
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
I want to thank everyone for the help, Guess I will buy a box of SD ammo and shoot some if it cycles It sound like I will be good to go.
I do not know which I will buy first as with the ammo shortage Its more what I can find then find what I want, at least for a while longer.

Bawanna
01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Exactly Ram. Right now just finding it will be a challenge. Kahrs are pretty much NOT ammo sensitive when it comes to self defense name brand ammo.

I use Speer Gold Dot because in the past it's available. This can be a regional issue as well. In some areas the other brands are more prevalent.

Find a box or two, shoot a mag or two (after break in) to confirm it works and you should be good to go.

Ram48
01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Found some Federal premium Law enforcement 230gr +P at Lawmans supply.
Is it recommended to use +P in the CW45?

wyntrout
01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
FREQUENTLY Asked Questions:

http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp

#2 under pistols:

Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A. Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr do not recommend steel case, reloads or un-jacketed ammunition. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.

JohnR
01-30-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm not going to lose sleep about the overpenetration theory. We've had 100 years of .45 FMJ history and insufficient data to support the theory that an innocent person standing behind a BG would be injured by the exiting bullet. While it's a valid theory, there are too many variables to apply to real-life SD tactics in my opinion. A hollow point that fails to expand could also overpenetrate.

otium
01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
And misses are guaranteed to go well past the the bad guy as will any potential through and through, be it FMJs or JHPs.

So follow the age old safety rule; Be sure of your target and of what is beyond it.

Booker T
01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
I have the Win PDX1's for mine right now, but I'm a big fan of the Speer GD and Federal HST as well.

Would love to try the Grizzly Xtreme some day in the near future. Just looks nasty.