PDA

View Full Version : DHS and an Active Shooter

ptoemmes
02-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Posted without any comment from me. Curious of others take. OK - just one. Makes me think about sheep and sheepdogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI5EoWBRYmo

KCAutoBob
02-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Helpless, defenseless- yeah, that's sheep, alright.
Sad. That's what 'they' want us to be like... sheep, just obediently waiting to be fleeced.
That's politically correct.

ripley16
02-02-2013, 05:38 AM
DHS, under the current administration, has produced some very controversial and mockable instructions. Politics not practicality rule their decision making process. We have remained as safe as we are due to dedicated Americans, working in the trenches, that use their skills more effectively than their politically appointed superiors. Thank God.

muggsy
02-02-2013, 07:38 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what was presented, but if I run into an active shooter I'm going to put as many 9mm holes in his chest or head as time permits. I'm the first responder in this situation.

chrish
02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Kinda reminds me of those old PSA/instructional videos for nuclear war in the 50s and 60s. Get under your desk at school and cover your heads. While these techniques might be SLIGHTLY more successful in keeping you un-dead than getting under a piece of wood before a 1 megaton bomb hits, they are just about as stupid and poorly conveyed. Ah, the government.

wyntrout
02-02-2013, 09:03 AM
It's nice to know what "Active Shooter" means to DHS! It doesn't mean that you're into gun sports and shoot regularly!:rolleyes:

Wynn:D

KoolBreeze
02-02-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm with Muggsy, I don't see anything wrong with the video. The vast majority of people in this country are not carrying a firearm, although the numbers are climbing very fast here, so they aren't prepared to face off a deranged killer.

Armybrat
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
What muggsy said.

Then call 911, describe the location, events, your description. Then call your lawyer and shut up until he/she arrives.

Of course obey all instructions of the arriving LEO responders.

Planedude
02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Our government looking out for you... Old School!

Cokeman
02-03-2013, 02:57 AM
Those girls were hot!

johnh
02-04-2013, 07:16 AM
I went through an active shooter training class a couple years back with Strategos. They stressed that hiding is NOT a good response. In some past incidents when the shooter had a lot of time, they actively searched for, found, and killed individuals who were hiding. The trainers said your options are flee, barricade, and fight. Flee is great if you can safely do so. Otherwise get in a position where you can barricade the entrance and make it impossible/impractical for the shooter to enter. Arm yourself with anything (chair, books, computer, fire extinguisher), and prepare to hammer the shooter with thrown objects or whatever else you can if he attempts to break in. Being opportunistic, they will tend to follow easier prey. If you just hide, you cannot be prepared to fight back effectively unless you can attack as soon as you are discovered. You may also be cutting yourself off from knowing what is happening elsewhere, or being quickly found by rescuers.