PDA

View Full Version : Wood grips dont fit!

scotty_MK9
02-10-2013, 02:13 AM
Well i finally coughed up the money to get me some nice wood grips for my MK9. I was a little nervous hearing various reports on others in the forum getting grips that werent fitted properly. But i figured what the heck. Bad decision.

Sure enough i go to screw them on and they dont fit. Seems i have the same problem where it doesnt fit over that tiny bottom tab. So tomorrow im gonna see if my father in law has a dremel that we could shape it with.

It actually pisses me off to be honest that this problem is still occuring when it seems kahr is well known of it. I have read that many ppl have emailed them to let them know of this. But the mk9 im sure is low priorty to them considering i bet like 90% of there sales goes to the poly kahrs.

Anyways thought i would let u guys know. If im not able to get a dremel what would u guys advise? Back to kahr or some other home remedy? Appriciate any comments and advise!

JustinN
02-10-2013, 07:01 AM
I could be wrong on this, but I don't think you can Send them back to Kahr to get fitted, unless they got the gun (or at least the frame). They do say on the grips that fitting may be required, and I believe part of the issue is a design change in the frame?? I have a brand new K9 and wood grips and they fit without a problem, no fitting required.

jocko
02-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Well i finally coughed up the money to get me some nice wood grips for my MK9. I was a little nervous hearing various reports on others in the forum getting grips that werent fitted properly. But i figured what the heck. Bad decision.

Sure enough i go to screw them on and they dont fit. Seems i have the same problem where it doesnt fit over that tiny bottom tab. So tomorrow im gonna see if my father in law has a dremel that we could shape it with.

It actually pisses me off to be honest that this problem is still occuring when it seems kahr is well known of it. I have read that many ppl have emailed them to let them know of this. But the mk9 im sure is low priorty to them considering i bet like 90% of there sales goes to the poly kahrs.

Anyways thought i would let u guys know. If im not able to get a dremel what would u guys advise? Back to kahr or some other home remedy? Appriciate any comments and advise!

cando the mod then go for it,but don't touch the grips and then think u can send them back. I understand ur cause to. I actually have not read alot about them not fitting so I must have issed some of those posts. But it sounds to me like u feel u can do the mod, so just do it and u will soon forget about this inconvenience.. Just sayin:Amflag2:

Ikeo74
02-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Ok, I have had the same problem on my MK9 and fixed it at home with very little work. Kahr could make a very slight modification to correct it at the grip factory. Here is how to do it (no pictures).

1) Take both black grips off.
2) Hold "one" new wood grip in position and look into the grip area from the other side.
3) You will be able to see that the bottom screw area needs to be inletted above the screw to allow that frame to fully seat on the wood.
4) Take a sharp pencil and draw a line on the inside of the grip to outline the area that needs to be inleted deeper so the frame will fit the wood on the wood grip. It only takes about 1/8th inch of wood removal and do not go any deeper into the wood than the existing cutout.
5) Test fit until it is correct. Then put that side down and do the other side the same way. Once that is done test fit both pieces to make sure the seam at the back is tight all the way from top to bottom. If they fit, you can then screw them onto the gun. Don't screw them on until they fit.
Kahr could do this to all MK grips without affecting any strength of the grips and save the new owners the problem. This is just a matter if inletting that extra 1/8th inch. They are inletting in there anyway, just expand it.
My grips are absolutely beautiful and I consider them a work of art.

phil413tx
02-10-2013, 08:00 AM
I had the same problem with mine. ikeo74 is exactly right. All it needs is just a little modification and they will work great! Once you are done, you will forget about all of the problems because the gun will look so good! It also adds to the grip thickness a little. It really makes for a fantastic little shooter that you can't help but admire.

QuercusMax
02-10-2013, 08:38 AM
I had the same problem too: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=109648&postcount=11

But it only took 20 seconds to fix with the Dremel, and the results are beautiful.

If the Dremel option is not available to you, then see Bawanna's post that immediately followed the one linked above. http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=109651&postcount=12

Ikeo74
02-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I had the same problem too: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=109648&postcount=11

But it only took 20 seconds to fix with the Dremel, and the results are beautiful.

If the Dremel option is not available to you, then see Bawanna's post that immediately followed the one linked above. http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=109651&postcount=12
Great photos. They show exactly what the problem is and how to fix the problem. Very good, now if Kahr views this post they will know how to fix this before selling the grips. Thanks QuercusMax.

Bawanna
02-10-2013, 10:26 AM
These guys are spot on as usual. I can't emphasize enough making sure they fit before you screw them down.

If you can scribe the line clearly I can certainly remove the wood. I'm still trying to get a late model K and MK so I can whittle grips for these.

This is exactly whats messing me up.

Very easy to do though, an exacto knife alone would do it if you have too.

jocko
02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

very nice photo work QuercusMax andablindmancouldsee that nod that needed to be done and what little effort it wouldtake also .very nicwwork and nice for a forummember to see the fix in picture forum.

Just to much damn talent onthis forum. Just sayin:Amflag2:

jocko
02-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Great photos. They show exactly what the problem is and how to fix the problem. Very good, now if Kahr views this post they will know how to fix this before selling the grips. Thanks QuercusMax.

wonder if that tab on the MK mag well frame could be different on the earlier models. We have heard talk about this before.It makes no sense for the grips to beoff that much. And when kahr makes mentionthat sometrimmingmight be needed, it kindatells me that there could be adifference. It woldbe total confusion if they had stock ed both grips to fit the different tabls. Just sayin

althougth if they really wanted to ,they couldphoto the two different MK magwellframesshowing the differentsize tabs and then the propper order number.I would think a blind man could see the difference if both photos were side by side.

Ikeo74
02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
These guys are spot on as usual. I can't emphasize enough making sure they fit before you screw them down.

If you can scribe the line clearly I can certainly remove the wood. I'm still trying to get a late model K and MK so I can whittle grips for these.

This is exactly whats messing me up.

Very easy to do though, an exacto knife alone would do it if you have too.
I used a box cutter on mine. Everyone has a box cutter. Just don't get overly agressive with it. Go slow and remove just a small amount of wood at a time. Most important is not to go too deep or to split the wood. Be very careful. Score the outline you drew on the wood first. Make sure the blade is sharp and don't take off any more wood than necessary.

Bawanna
02-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Excellent idea Ikeo, I use a box cutter frequently. That would be just the ticket.

scotty_MK9
02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Well i used a box cuttir to shape the inside of the grips and got the to fit. Went to screw grips on and the screws are to short. Tried pushing down on screws while twisting and nothing worked.

So i left a message with tech support tell them what happened. Crappy thing is sinse i shaped the grips it will void any kind of warrenty. This sure does leave a sour taste in my mouth. Probably wont be getting any acessories from kahr again...

Bawanna
02-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Well i used a box cuttir to shape the inside of the grips and got the to fit. Went to screw grips on and the screws are to short. Tried pushing down on screws while twisting and nothing worked.

So i left a message with tech support tell them what happened. Crappy thing is sinse i shaped the grips it will void any kind of warrenty. This sure does leave a sour taste in my mouth. Probably wont be getting any acessories from kahr again...

They will probably send you the proper length screws. Or you can find some 1911 grips screws which are the same thread.
I know it's frustrating but don't give up, they will be worth it when your done.

itsthelaw
02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
I also used the utility knife. Just make sure you also have the right screws!

Ikeo74
02-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Make a note here: Did 4 screws come with the grips in a plastic bag?
If they did, 2 of then are slightly longer than the other 2. The longer ones go on the bottom. (you can hardly tell the difference without measuring w/calipers)
Next : The drilled holes in the wood are extremely close fitting to the screw heads. You have to push the screws in hard while turning the screws to get them to seat at the bottom of the hole. If you don't push them down they will appear to be too short, but they are not short. They just need to seat in the bottom of the hole and then you will see that the threads are long enough to thread into the grip holes. Be very careful if you take them completely back out of the grips as you can cause a chip in the wood checkering because of the tight fit. Try again to install them. Be patient, it will work and be a beautiful addition to the gun's appearance. You can do it! Don't give up.

scotty_MK9
02-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys i will try to see if two screws are longer then the other two. Its kinda hard to tell. Im not writing kahr off- i love there pistols. Just needed to blow a little steam. U guys are cheaper then a bartender.

I will let u guys know how it works out

scotty_MK9
02-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Oh one more question... Do the wood grips make it seem alot wider to anyone else? They do look great it just seemed like it was pretty thick. But then again they were t totally screwed in so that could be the difference

Ikeo74
02-10-2013, 10:22 PM
They are somewhat wider but not much, just a bit wider. They are a better grip.

MLESa7990
02-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Actually, you should have got four screws, all the same size. The screws that are sent with the wood grips are the longer K series screws.

scotty_MK9
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Measured the screws and all four are same size. Left a message with kahr tech support a few days ago and the still havent called back. Every time i call within there buisness hours but the automated message says the have been closed the past week!

So if i cant get a hold of them i know a gunsmith that has 1911 screws on hand. Bout an hour drive away though. Hopefully kahr comes through because thus far i am a little underwhelmed with there customer service haha.

Ikeo74
02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Why don't you try to push the screws that came with the grips into the holes???? You can do this with the grips off the gun. If the threads show on the inside of the wood grip by about 1/16 inch, they will work. I don't think you have tried hard enough. Push them in as you turn with a good fitting screwdriver. If you got 4 screws with the grips then they are the same length as 1911 screws. Ask a friend to help you if necessary!

If you get the screws to show on the inside of the grip, don't take them back out, just lay the grip on the gun in the correct alignment and screw then on.

scotty_MK9
02-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Why don't you try to push the screws that came with the grips into the holes???? You can do this with the grips off the gun. If the threads show on the inside of the wood grip by about 1/16 inch, they will work. I don't think you have tried hard enough. Push them in as you turn with a good fitting screwdriver. If you got 4 screws with the grips then they are the same length as 1911 screws. Ask a friend to help you if necessary!

If you get the screws to show on the inside of the grip, don't take them back out, just lay the grip on the gun in the correct alignment and screw then on.

I already had my father in law ( much more of a handy man then me ) try with me to screw them in and as hard as we pushed down and screwed we only got one top screw on left grip in.

I am not a 1911 guy so i will have to take u on your word about 1911 screws being the same size. Is there any screws just a tiny bit bigger but still wont dig into magazine? Cant get kahr on the phone to talk to anyone.

scotty_MK9
02-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Finally got a hold of an actual person at kahr customer service. I talked to Ian. Told him the situation and his reply was that some of the grips out there wont fit and we have to shape them our selves.

And as for the screws he confirmed that ALL FOUR SCREWS are the same size and he did not offer any advise nor did he want to send me new screws. I told him i tried everything even with other people to help me and they were just too short. He said there wAs nothing they could do about it. I was actually really surprised on how short answered and unwilling to help he was.

Anyways im going to see my gunsmith on saterday. Maybe he can help me out. Thanks guys.

Xcessive Carts
03-09-2014, 04:14 AM
I had the same issues with the grips I got this week. After shaping them to fit, the screws were still too short. Bought a set of 1911 screws, all is well now. Grips look great, worth the trouble.

scotty_MK9
03-20-2014, 02:09 AM
Xcessive carts-

Yes when i was able to get hold of some 1911 screws they were just a tad longer and was able to screw them in.

Still wished they were sent out shaped to fit and with long enough screws in the first place but oh well. What matters is they are on now and they look good.

Nice to hear u had luck with 1911 screws too.

itsthelaw
03-20-2014, 12:17 PM
It is the screws! Check the screws!

Xcessive Carts
03-21-2014, 02:39 AM
I contacted Kahr about my issue, they send new screws. THE SHORT ONES.
Not much good on my mk9. But in the parts drawer they go, maybe some other gun will use them some day.

berettabone
03-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Actually, your lucky..................I can't get wood grips for mine, at all...............:(

james_98188
06-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Actually, your lucky..................I can't get wood grips for mine, at all...............:(

Yeah, the Kahr website shows a picture of MK series wood grips - both smooth and checkered, but no way to order them. That's why I'm checking in here to see what's up. I called Kahr today and they said that the wood grips are no longer available for the MK9. I asked if they were going to re-offer them, and he said, maybe, some day.

So...for better grips, SOL? I've some Agrips on order, anybody have good experiences with them?

berettabone
06-12-2014, 11:43 AM
The reason that I can't get grips, is because the MK's that were built after mine, have a different grip hole location. They just aren't available from anyone, anywhere...............

Bawanna
06-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Whats your serial number prefix? GA?

berettabone
06-12-2014, 02:23 PM
No................LTD

Bawanna
06-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Well there's another curve ball thrown at me. New one on me. I was sorting out GA and GC which are very very close.

I have access to a GA but no idea if they will fit yours or not.

muggsy
06-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Seems to me that the mod could be done in a few seconds with a flat bottom drill bit of the correct size, but I ain't much of a wood butcher, so what do I know.

berettabone
06-12-2014, 03:27 PM
The LTD models were a limited edition with Birdsong slide..............I remember reading somewhere, but for the life of me, can't remember where, that this model was produced in August of 2001, and shortly after, they changed the location of the grip screw holes. Only 400 produced.

b4uqzme
06-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Dang -- I just did an interweb tour and couldn't find anyone either. There was a company called Designergrips who made plastic Kahr grips but it looks like they are temporarily out of business.

If anyone finds anything, please post for those looking.

Bawanna
06-12-2014, 03:34 PM
And the serial number is of course on the frame? Course it's on the frame.

Makes it darn hard to ship even just the frame for fitting. The frame is the gun so legally it has to go FFL to FFL. Sadly it's not worth all the transfers.

One of my FFL's said he'd have to receive it and transfer it to me, then when I'm done he'd have to transfer it back to his inventory and then send it to your FFL.

I asked about received but just not accepting it but sitting on it for a few days or a week and he said he couldn't do that. Be kind of a loaner.

berettabone
06-12-2014, 03:45 PM
As another poster already eluded to..................the Kahr sight isn't even selling wood grips for the latest MK9's right now. It has some hard rubber one's, but they say that they won't fit anything with a GA serial number.

berettabone
06-12-2014, 03:56 PM
I know that a personal and up close fitting is the best, but, if maybe I could trace each grip onto paper, you could see where the holes were, and if the holes match up with a GA, or a GC, or a newer version, (which I highly doubt) I don't believe that they changed the frame, just the hole locations.

Bawanna
06-12-2014, 04:16 PM
I have a set of GC's that b4uqzme sent me awhile back. I could send you those and see if they fit.
There really is very little difference between the GA and GC that I've encountered. I'm not completely sure that the prefix even matters.

Some fit and some don't it seems like.

Kahr grips really are kind of challenging to make, a ton of angles and depths that all show up down at the mag base.
You have to get all those perfect and then cross your fingers and hope you get the mounting screw holes in the right spot.

james_98188
12-19-2014, 11:16 PM
I already had my father in law ( much more of a handy man then me ) try with me to screw them in and as hard as we pushed down and screwed we only got one top screw on left grip in.

I am not a 1911 guy so i will have to take u on your word about 1911 screws being the same size. Is there any screws just a tiny bit bigger but still wont dig into magazine? Cant get kahr on the phone to talk to anyone.

Had a similar problem - after some dremel work I got one side to fit, but the other side I could only get the bottom screw to engage. Was concerned I was going to mess up the gun threads! This was with the longer screws that came with the wood grips, about a 1/16" longer than the screws that came with the gun. A little more trimming, and I finally got both screws to engage. Not my best work, but it's not visible when the grips are installed anyway. The screw fit in the grips really is pretty tight - you've really got to push them in hard. Got to be careful with screws that are any longer as there's really not much margin before hitting the magazine.

Anyway, I've currently only got about 60 rounds through the gun - and this was with the Hogue rubber grips. The MK9 performed flawlessly and the Hogue grips are better than the polymer grips that came with it - but still not the easiest to hang on to.

I got the checkered grips, and it feels much better now. Looking forward to getting back to the range and finishing up the 200 break-in period.

berettabone
12-20-2014, 11:10 AM
It's one of the biggest gripes that I have with Kahr, and grip manufacturers...........................there IS a demand for different grips on all Kahr models, but no one will take the bait. It can't be that difficult to start production, they already have the equipment. As many models that are out there, it has to be a win win for everybody. So, it must be a legal thing, or % of profit thing. It's just too bad.

Firewire
01-10-2015, 12:00 PM
My Kahr smooth wood grips arrived, but without the necessary screws (a quick email and Kahr mailed me some at no cost). The black plastic ones are shorter. There was some degree of difficulty getting them on my GC framed MK9. The lower screws on both sides were buggers, but I eventually got them to make contact and thread in. Even after I could no longer screw them in the lower part of the grips still have a gap (warped possibly?). Anyways, overall the I love the look and even more the feel of the fatter wood over the factory plastic.

Cokeman
01-10-2015, 12:32 PM
That looks really good.

berettabone
01-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Personally, I have given up................................................ .........................................

Cokeman
01-10-2015, 12:53 PM
On looking good?

Redstate
01-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Gotta love the look of the wood grips.

airny
06-27-2015, 05:34 AM
I would like to share pictures of a wooden grip for my MK9 (GA frame) that Bawanna made for me. The man is a genius and an artist, he is the Michael Angelo in creating beautiful grips. When I received the grip the other day. It brought tears of joy to a grown man's eyes. The grips are so beautiful and I thought I would never see a wooden grip on my MK9 specially a GA frame. The fitting is perfect on the frame and the grip was carved thin so it was also perfect with small hands. Bawanna Sir, Thank you so much again.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh173/erniequion/20150626_043159_LLS.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh173/erniequion/20150626_025455_LLS.jpg?t=1435316364

Redstate
06-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Those are very beautiful. Great work Bawanna

yqtszhj
06-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Super nice.

Greg
06-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Awesome looking grips airny! Really nice job Bawanna!