PDA

View Full Version : Sending a gun in for repair?

OiRadio47
02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm finally sending in my K40 that I've had nothing but problems with. How long should I expect Kahr to have it?

Never shipped a firearm before, so I'm kind nervous just dropping it off at fed ex!

Kahr specifically says the shipping must be pre-paid. However the Fed-Ex label they emailed me to print out says "bill sender" on the label. So I just want to make sure this is right before I send it out.

Trying to call them, but can't get through. Automated message says to leave a message, and they will return my call in 1-2 business days! They answered right away yesterday. Guess I will keep calling.

Bawanna
02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
If they sent you a shipping label your all set, they agree to pay the shipping. You just need to package it up good and give it to Fed Ex.

Make sure to include as much info as you can about your issues, anything you've tried to fix it yourself, different ammo, whatever. The more info the smith has to go on the better and quicker they can diagnose and get it back.

They are incredibly busy right now so how long it will be gone would be anybody's guess. Depends on what they find wrong and what parts they may have to wait for if it's a major issue.

I'd try sending an email, that sometimes works as effectively if not better than the phone, not always but sometimes.

Glock23
02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I'd try sending an email, that sometimes works as effectively if not better than the phone, not always but sometimes.

+1

I just sent an email with a question about an out of stock item and got a response in 6 minutes!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Salty
02-12-2013, 11:26 AM
I would try to get a RMA tracking number or repair invoice # from Kahr so you can call in later and refer to it as well as put it on your shipping box so someone in the Kahr mailroom will forward it correctly. I would also put "FOR REPAIR" on your box - not refer to it as a firearm as FED-EX has their own codes. Pistol shipping is a FED-EX chore as they will deliver it the next day and closely track it to prevent theft. If you were shipping a long gun for repair then I would go UPS as cost and service is very good for rifle/shotgun shipping.

Bawanna
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Kahr uses Fed Ex, there are no other options on their dime.

He should already have an RMA # that as you say should go on the outside of the box as well as the note I would put inside explaining issues.

ParrotHead
02-12-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm finally sending in my K40 that I've had nothing but problems with. How long should I expect Kahr to have it?

Never shipped a firearm before, so I'm kind nervous just dropping it off at fed ex!

Kahr specifically says the shipping must be pre-paid. However the Fed-Ex label they emailed me to print out says "bill sender" on the label. So I just want to make sure this is right before I send it out.

Trying to call them, but can't get through. Automated message says to leave a message, and they will return my call in 1-2 business days! They answered right away yesterday. Guess I will keep calling.

I would think "Bill Sender" would be YOU...wouldln't "Bill Recipient" would be the other end?

Salty
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
As I read the Kahr policy the website indicates the owner has to prepay for the shipment -
"Contact Kahr Arms Technical Support Department to receive a Return Authorization number before shipping a firearm to the factory. You can do this by online (RA request form) or by calling 508-795-3919. Ship handguns prepaid via UPS or Fed Ex overnight. Federal law prohibits anyone without a Federal Firearms License from shipping a handgun by mail. Please check for any additional state or local regulations. With your return, enclose a letter that references your Return Authorization number and includes: name; address; phone number; and firearm model and serial number. The letter should describe, in detail, the problem being experienced or work to be done."
I had a warranty problem with my NIB Magnum Research (a KAHR owned company) 22 mag rifle after one time out shooting it and was told I had to send it prepaid to them and they would decide if it was a warranty item or not. I wonder if this is standard policy for all Kahr companies when dealing with owners rather than dealer FFL's ? Doesn't indicate who pays for shipping back.

muggsy
02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
How high is up? How long is a piece of string? How long will it take Kahr to repair my firearm? Three of the great mysteries of life. :)

phil413tx
02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I just had to send in my K9 recently. The fed ex label they sends you works. I dropped it off at fed ex without any problems and it got there the next day. It took the smith about 3 weeks to get to mine because they are so backed up. I am still waiting for mine to come back. It got caught up in the blizzard and fed ex was unble to go an get it.

I have to say Kahr service has been fantastic! Every time I emailed Jay, I had response in about 10 minutes. Have no hesitation of sending it to Kahr. They will treat you right!

JustinN
02-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Prepaid meaning you pay when you ship it, not a COD or pay on delivery charge. That being said, if its warranty problems you can probably talk them into giving you a prepaid label, so it doesn't cost you anything...

ParrotHead
02-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Prepaid meaning you pay when you ship it, not a COD or pay on delivery charge. That being said, if its warranty problems you can probably talk them into giving you a prepaid label, so it doesn't cost you anything...
I would think if it's warranty a company should pay for ALL expenses.

Bawanna
02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
We seem to have a comprehension problem today.

They (Kahr) sent him a shipping label to send his gun in for apparently an obvious warranty issue.

They are picking up the tab. Box it, stick it, kiss it good bye, it'll be back.

ParrotHead
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
We seem to have a comprehension problem today.

They (Kahr) sent him a shipping label to send his gun in for apparently an obvious warranty issue.

They are picking up the tab. Box it, stick it, kiss it good bye, it'll be back.

Yep...the way it should be.

getsome
02-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Good thing they picked up he tab because he last time I shipped a pistol overnight Fed-Ex it was $60.00 for a trigger job costing $75.00 so the shiping was almost half the total cost of the whole deal...

Bawanna
02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
That's another pile of steaming horse pucky right there. Supposedly it started with UPS and the Postal Service wanting to reduce employee theft.
So now they require next day or 2nd day shipping on firearms. I guess so the employees can have an easier and quicker time of finding the good stuff to steal.

Sounds like another anti gunner bleeding heart dumbocrat ploy to me.

wyntrout
02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
I've returned a lot of pistols to them and never had to pay, nor would I have without a "fight". My labels never said "Bill Sender", either. That sounds a like a bit of hurt to the owner at $60 or so for the second fastest overnight service... not the next morning delivery which is more costly!

I would contact them and clarify what that means and pursue having them pay for a warranty return... especially for a weapon that does not work properly in defensive use!:eek: I have brought up the "not reliable for self defense" a few times and had no problem getting a PREPAID label and pickup scheduled, as there's no FedEx staffed place closer than 10 0r 12 miles. UPS is clear across town... over 20 miles. I paid the $7.40 or so for scheduled pickup when I shipped the next ammo. The UPS stores and whatever can't accept ammo or guns.

Wynn:)

muggsy
02-13-2013, 07:18 AM
I've always been more interested in how good the gun is rather than how good the warranty is. Call me foolish, but I don't want to send the gun back. I just want to shoot it. Then again, I've always been a little different. It's probably just me. :)

OiRadio47
02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I breathed a sigh of relief seeing that it made it to Ma. Hoping to hear from them soon to know they are actually working on it.

Can't wait to take it to the range and gain some trust enough to actually carry the gun. We have been considering getting a small .380 for pocket carry if they can make our K40 right.

fingers crossed.

Barth
02-14-2013, 11:50 AM
I would think if it's warranty a company should pay for ALL expenses.

I've only had to send a gun back to the mother ship once for warranty work
(thank goodness).

For Arsenal of Nevada -
You have to pay for shipping to them.
They will deal with the warranty service and pay for shipping back to you.

OiRadio47
02-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Fed Ex just returned my K40. Quicker than expected. Paperwork said they replaced the slide stop and it test fired fine.

I was planning on calling them to check on the status of it today. Guess I need to go put some rounds through it first.

yqtszhj
02-25-2013, 05:46 PM
If you have to return something like that send it second day air and tell them it's machine parts. Insure it for $600 and be done with it. Their policy says second day is good but most of them don't know it.

jocko
02-25-2013, 05:52 PM
high speed hole punch seems to work when ask.