PDA

View Full Version : P40 Covert -Need Help!

itsthelaw
02-17-2013, 06:55 PM
I found a guy who has a factory P40 Covert (need to verify factory). I'm not afraid to say that I'm a bit smitten by it. He said it is from 1998-2000 and he is second owner. Said there were 100 rounds by first person and 125 by him. I call BS on round count! Has flush mag and extended mag. Not sure about box.

What is this worth? What else do I need to know? I won't be able to see it first hand before committing to buy.

Thanks for the help of the collective.

Bawanna
02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Round count could be true, an awful lot of people buy guns and seldom shoot them. Regardless unless it's been hopelessly abused your not gonna wear it out.

Probably be better to tell us the asking price. Don't see a whole lot of those so it might be kind of hard to find sales to compare it to.

If your smitten, that's worth a lot.

itsthelaw
02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
$500 shipped...seems like a decent price for a dinosaur. I'm probably more concerned that it is truly factory made.

mhill6761
02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
What is a covert model? They look to me like a standard pistol.

Bawanna
02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Covert is a standard length barrel with a shorter grip, usually takes the magazine of the next size smaller version.

mhill6761
02-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Ahh makes sense thanks

Old No7
02-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Here's what a factory Covert model looks like... This one's a 9mm, and if I recall, it just about 1/4" shorter than the P40 Covert. *
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P9_Covert_02_Medium_.jpg

* I know that, because I traded my P40 Covert to get the 9mm version, as I've got sore wrists and can't take the "snappy recoil" of the 40 any longer. All my holsters work with this 9mm version and I can shoot it comfortably and hit well with it.

As for P40 Covert pricing...

I did well on the trade-in, only costing me $75 in cash to exchange one Covert for another. The shop listed my P40 Covert at $575, if I recall -- so yes, $500 is a better price.

I said it before on another "Covert" thread, but in my opinion, the P## Coverts are what the PM9s and PM40s should be -- the extra barrel length isn't all that hard to conceal, the extra barrel/slide weight and slightly longer sight radius really improve the "hitability". And I used to have a PM9, before I sold it to my daughter's boyfriend -- and when we use them side-by-side, he agrees he hits better with the Covert too.

Tight groups!

Old No7

jocko
02-18-2013, 07:07 PM
I found a guy who has a factory P40 Covert (need to verify factory). I'm not afraid to say that I'm a bit smitten by it. He said it is from 1998-2000 and he is second owner. Said there were 100 rounds by first person and 125 by him. I call BS on round count! Has flush mag and extended mag. Not sure about box.

What is this worth? What else do I need to know? I won't be able to see it first hand before committing to buy.

Thanks for the help of the collective.

My PMJ9 has over 32K+ rounds thorugh it, and if I told u it had 200 rounds u could not tell one bit difference. If the gun is taken care of and not abused by just carlessness u can't hurt a khar, U can't shoot it out either, U can make a new gun look like sh!t by just being ruff on it and then u might think it is well worn. so looks means alot in a gun. If it looks really goood, then if u like the covert, then buy it. as round count means nadda,absolutely nuttng. I would doubt if that covert 40 had many rounds out of it for it is a real had cannon to shoot alot, ammo ain't cheap and many report it is not the most pleasant gun to shoot due t is weight ad size.

Now my thoughts on the covert: The PM just buried the covert when they came out with it. The covert was never a big seller anyway and I persoannly can't see a 1/2" in lenght of the barrel making anyone here a TODD JARRETT. This is a defense gun, its looooong trigger is not gonna make u a TODD JARRETT. Just not gonna happen. If u think in a SHTF situation ur gonna get any better accuracy with that gun, well I just don't think that is gonna happen U first of all are not gonna be lineig up the sights like u would be if u were at the range etc. Its gonna happen fast and if u are slow to do what u need to be doing, then u could be dead. To own a covert is not a bad thing but if a covert was laying besides a cm40, I know which One I would pick in a heartbeat. It would be a CM9 That extra 1/2"might indeed be just enough more gun to not be able to pocket carry it . Just my two centshere, YMMV:amflag:

Shark1007
02-20-2013, 08:11 PM
To give you an idea, I paid 450 for my K40 Covert about a year back, it's steel, heavier, doesn't kick as hard and looks cool all polished.

wyntrout
02-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Dang, Jocko. Did you stop shooting that thing? You've been stuck on 32K for a looong time!

Wynn:D

wyntrout
02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
I like my PM9, but I've found that I don't mind carrying my P40 since I put the real flush-mounting steel base plates on the 6-round mags. it makes enough difference for me... the P9, too, with the ported 4" barrel... no problem, but I like the power of the Mag-na-ported P40 more!

Wynn:)