PDA

View Full Version : Tried FrogLube Yet?

Rain
02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
I decided to give FrogLube a try; at least it smells better than typical gun lube. I put it on my CW9, including magazines. Seems OK; haven't fired it yet.

I decided to use it on one of my pocket knives. I got it on the handle and now it is so slick I can hardly hold it! Reminds me of when STP first came out (I know, I'm old as dirt). STP advertisements used to instruct you to dip a screwdriver in STP and then try to hold it vertically between a finger and thumb without gravity causing it to slip out. It was hard to do!

340pd
02-23-2013, 04:38 PM
I just finished the second application on my S&W Shield. It appears to be as advertised. After the first round of shooting the cleanup was much easier and the barrel was clean after one patch. A 75 watt spot/flood bulb will heat up the gun just fine for the application of this stuff.
One interesting thing I noticed when applying it for the first time I totally cleaned and de-greased the gun with gun scrubber. When I applied the frog lube to the inside of the barrel I got a lot of black fouling on my first patch. I and done a couple of other guns (not yet fired)with FL and I noticed the same thing. This stuff must clean a lot better than anything I had used previously. My dry hands split in the winter, and I really appreciate how nice it is not to have gun solvents contributing to winter dry hands. Plus the smell alone makes it a worth well product.

K.C.
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
I switched over to Froglube back in November. I really like it. With each of the three "seasonings" it re liquified just as advertised. It also proved it self by re- liquifying in 20 something degree weather at the range when the gun got hot.

Clean up is a breeze in comparison to the traditional lube way, It just feels wrong the first couple of times but you get used to it. In addition to my guns I Froglubed some green crusting on a faucet in my house and it never came back.

I definitely would recommend it, just use a hot air gun instead of a hairdryer. I learned from homebrewing that a hot air gun is superior. Shrink wrapping the tops of wine bottles with a hair dryer took for ever.

ParrotHead
02-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Put it on my CW9 for the first time today..indeed it does seem weird but you can definitely tell it is working after you wipe off the excess once it has cooled. I think after a couple more applications it will get even better.

Popeye
02-24-2013, 05:23 AM
No really can't say I have. I'm pretty happy with the Mobil one 15/50 -20/50 that I also use in my Harley. For the most part I've been using it in every gun I own for years from my P3at to a Marlin 30/30 with some darn good results. Not that I haven't tried other products, but never found a few drops of any of them to be any better than what I've already been using. My older military weapons I'll sparingly use a combination of MB1 on parts that pivit and there pins and luberplate on parts that slide. Old habits die hard I guess so I'll just keep on using what I happy with. Thanks for the report though.

CJB
02-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Their "Green" non-petro chem base is a bit of a stretch of marketing hype.

Its made from a polyaphaolefin base, known also as polyalphaethylene.

PAE's can be rubberized, plasticized, or liquified. In the liquid forms, they're used as high viscosity lubricants and coolants (many oils are used as coolants... especially on power transmission transformers and radio transmitters).

PAE's are petrochemical derivatives.... so I'm tending to say they "stretch" the real truth on their advertising.

If they stuff works... hey more power to 'em.

muggsy
02-25-2013, 06:43 AM
It just feels wrong the first couple of times but you get used to it.

Kinda like prison sex. :)

ParrotHead
02-25-2013, 09:02 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/blackguys.gif

K.C.
02-25-2013, 09:49 AM

I hope to never find out about that LOL.

getsome
02-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Nothing quite like being cooped up in a 8 x 10 cell for 20 years with a guy nicknamed "Thunder Richard"...:w00t:

Rob_0t
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Tried frog lube....

The croaking freaked the wife out.... but the tongue calmed her..

What a weird chick.

Rain
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Thankfully, it is edible!

jocko
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Tried frog lube....

The croaking freaked the wife out.... but the tongue calmed her..

What a weird chick.

the frog was happy. Just sayin

KahrArmed
03-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I have been using it for about six months, and it is working great! No harsh chemical smells, and the biggest plus is that it doesn't evaporate, so if you use the gun as a carry weapon you don't need to worry about re-lubing it up intermittently. The cleanup is real easy and I don't have to do it out in the garage! I just can't see why anyone would want to keep using strippers and other petroleum products that stink and are toxic.

Oh, I forgot, you can go shooting several times without reapplying, and it keeps working like a charm.

muggsy
03-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Note to everyone, I hate to be serious, but all oil is hydroscopic. To the great unwashed, that means it readily absorbs and holds moisture. Periodic cleaning and oiling is still necessary regardless of the type of oil used. Since most of us shoot and clean our guns often it isn't a problem, but for long term storage a product like Rig gun grease should be used. Even then the a gun should be inspected every six months.

DKD
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I have used Rig for over 38 years. I rig on my guns before I went over seas and they looked exactly as I had left them over 14 months later upon my return.
I have even used a light application on my 1911 slides 7 frame contact points since the lube doesn't migrate like finer oils.

jocko
03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Note to everyone, I hate to be serious, but all oil is hydroscopic. To the great unwashed, that means it readily absorbs and holds moisture. Periodic cleaning and oiling is still necessary regardless of the type of oil used. Since most of us shoot and clean our guns often it isn't a problem, but for long term storage a product like Rig gun grease should be used. Even then the a gun should be inspected every six months.

those little silicia packets tha tu so o0ften see in some parcels. I see they sellthem on line in about any size one would want and quanity. Would that not be a good thing to stick in one guns safe even and aqlso in some of these zip pouches that we so often stick our guns in . Just asking here, as it seems logical that these should not hurt a darn thing.:Amflag2:

Bawanna
03-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Did he just call me unwashed? Crimany, saturday was just a couple days ago and I get washed every other Saturday like clockwork. You can set your calendar by it.

Tinman507
03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
We've been meaning to have a discreet conversation with you about that..

Bawanna
03-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Bunch of darn tree huggers? Ain't that wasteful of water to get spruced up every couple of weeks.

nass
03-19-2013, 09:35 AM
I've been using Frog Lube for a few months now and I like it. A distributor called me up and asked if I wanted to buy a case, I told him to send me a sample and I got the small tub of paste (8oz I think).

It definitely smells great, though I miss the old Hoppes.

A good friend of mine said that if you ever come across a woman wearing #9 as perfume, marry that woman on the spot.

Oh, and I did try it during a demo - ate Frog Lube I mean. I didn't get sick, but I do recall creating a Khar Talk account afterwards though. Hmm...

Rain
03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
I keep hearing that it is OK to NOT clean a firearm after shooting it if you are using Frog Lube. I just can't stand to shoot and not clean. Am I over-reacting?

KahrArmed
03-23-2013, 08:44 AM
I have heard the same thing Rain, and feel the same way. I might send the Frog lube guys that question, I'll let you know if I get an answer.

jeepster09
03-23-2013, 08:52 AM
I have trouble getting it out of the FROG.....any tips?

dirtkicker
03-23-2013, 09:08 AM
I have trouble getting it out of the FROG.....any tips?

I heard you have to get a really good grip on the legs and blow hard. :eek:

That's why I use Gunzilla.

muggsy
03-25-2013, 12:04 PM
For those of you who haven't tried it, it's tough to beat extra virgin maiden oil, but these days it's getting hard to find. :)

Rain
04-03-2013, 09:31 PM
For those of you who haven't tried it, it's tough to beat extra virgin maiden oil, but these days it's getting hard to find. :)

Same as frog lube:

"...you have to get a really good grip on the legs and blow hard." :eek: