PDA

View Full Version : New KAHR owner in Ohio - HELP

daleeman
02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
First Post Here. First KAHR too, CW45.

So far not to happy with the way the break-in is going, even following the procedures. Used several types of ammo, many FTE, FTF, not going into battery. Seems like the barrel twists when slide moves forward making it impossible to rack it back with a live round in the tube.

Ramp now shows scars and I'm thinking I will be found in my home or a street somwhere with a jammed CW45 in my cold dead hands.

So I guess I'm going to have to pony up an overnight prepaid shipment $$$ to KAHR to send their mistake back and start over with another 4 100+ break in period with over priced and hard to find ammo.

So is me, or was there some dthoughts on the part of KAHR to sell substandard units under the cheaper CW model?

Really, I'm a fairly positive person, but this gun could get one killed trying to stay alive.

Flincher
02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Welcome to the forum from North Dakota. Don't get discouraged. Plenty of help here.

Bawanna
02-27-2013, 02:22 PM
They are not substandard in any meaningful way, less cosmetics is all.

Call or email, email works best for me, and explain your issues and concerns. I'd write down your thoughts ahead of time. What the issue is, what you've tried to do to address it etc.

If it's something they feel needs attention they will sometimes send you a prepaid label. They are not required too, the warranty does not include free shipping but they usually do and if they don't offer ask. Politely usually again works best for me.

The gun business is incredibly busy on all fronts right now so exercise patience as much as possible as well, that part is tough for me since I'm not a patient person.

Keep us in the loop, as mentioned there's plenty of smart folks here to help and they let me hang around here too so they must be nice as well, maybe not too smart but nice.

Short Bus
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Welcome from Marion.

Bootlegger
02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Welcome from Middletown, if close maybe I can come take a look? Not that I would know what to do but sometime 4 eyes are better than 2.

daleeman
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
They are not substandard in any meaningful way, less cosmetics is all.

Call or email, email works best for me, and explain your issues and concerns. I'd write down your thoughts ahead of time. What the issue is, what you've tried to do to address it etc.

If it's something they feel needs attention they will sometimes send you a prepaid label. They are not required too, the warranty does not include free shipping but they usually do and if they don't offer ask. Politely usually again works best for me.

The gun business is incredibly busy on all fronts right now so exercise patience as much as possible as well, that part is tough for me since I'm not a patient person.

Keep us in the loop, as mentioned there's plenty of smart folks here to help and they let me hang around here too so they must be nice as well, maybe not too smart but nice.
Thank you Sir, good advice. I do hope to get this up and running soon.

Took it to the range again today. Had the stove pipes and fail to go into battery again several times. Also noticed the extractor is really eating into the brass.

For a die hard revolver guy, its a hard pill to gulp down.

daleeman
02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Welcome from Middletown, if close maybe I can come take a look? Not that I would know what to do but sometime 4 eyes are better than 2.

Thanks, you are close. I am in the Centerville Bellbrook area. Going to Spring Valley this Sunday at 1400

Lee

wyntrout
02-27-2013, 07:05 PM
daleeman, welcome to the forum. Here's some info that may help, if it's not too late. We find that a lot of people are in such a hurry that they don't read the manual, or watch the IMPORTANT Take Down Video. Watch the Take Down video! Those links are listed in my "boilerplate" here:

Welcome to the Kahrtalk forum supported by Kahr Arms.
Here are a few essential links and things to do BEFORE you take your new pistol to the range, and ESPECIALLY BEFORE taking it apart and trying to re-assemble it! The Kahr is a different design… 6-7 unique patents cover the Kahrs. I’m not trying to imply that you don’t know anything about guns, but many don’t know anything about the Kahrs and some of the things you can do to damage or cause malfunctions of your new, or new-to-you Kahr pistol.
First, if you don’t have a manual, yet, or one didn’t come with your pistol, you can download the pdf file here:
http://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf
Impatient? Watch one of these videos FIRST! These videos can point out possible problem areas and emphasize correct procedures!
Take down and re-assembly videos:
T, TP, CW, P, & PM/CM Series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA)
MK series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mSCnIOaUk#t=0s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXmSCnIOaUk#t=0s)
K series:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9-Elite.asp
There are many links on fixing problems listed in several places… under the New Member or Kahr Tech sub-forums.
A very handy one is the Kahr Lube Diagram:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14750
Many of your questions can be answered in these areas and you can learn how your Kahr works and not damage it with improper handling.
Frequently asked questions: http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp?

There are many helpful members here most of the time who might be able to help you, but as anywhere, there are many opinions and not all are correct. Be mindful of this before doing anything drastic to modify your pistol!

Wynn:)
Aka wyntrout

ESAFO
02-27-2013, 07:34 PM
welcome aboard enjoy your stay from a fellow 'BUCKEYE'.
you will get all the helpfull info you need on here from some great guy's.

2edgesword
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I have two Kahr pistols (CW45 and PM9). They were both were very tight out of the box and required the 200 round break and repeated cycling to loosen things up to the point of reliable operation.

In addition, unlike the two Glock pistols I have, which require very little (some say none) lubing, the Kahrs require relatively liberal lubing to operate smoothly.

Get the round count up to 200, give the gun a good cleaning, follow the recommendations on the website regarding lubing and see if the functionality improves.

muggsy
02-28-2013, 07:51 AM
You shouldn't have to pay for return shipping. Call Kahr, explain the situation and politely ask for a prepaid mailing label. Chances are that they will be more than happy to oblige. There service department is very good.

Tyranta
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Welcome Dale from ND, and sorry to hear about your troubles with your new Kahr. Hopefully you can get it taken care of in a timely manner.

daleeman
02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Welcome Dale from ND, and sorry to hear about your troubles with your new Kahr. Hopefully you can get it taken care of in a timely manner.

Thanks,
Do you all experience the barrel twisting and not breach locking. When that happens most of all these issues come up. Slide locks up, barrel is twisted and the ejecting round meets the new one and whamo it scars the ramp more.

Actually my name is Lee, some drunk chick in a bar slured out... So you're DaLeeMan, nickname has stuck now forever.

Lee

Mark4470
02-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Sorry I can't help you, but howdy neighbor from the Bellbrook/Spring Valley area.

Geobob
02-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Hello, Daleeman, and welcome from Missouri to a great forum. Good people and info here! I hope you get your issue cleared up with Kahr.

Take care, and best wishes to you and yours!

daleeman
03-01-2013, 04:18 AM
Sorry I can't help you, but howdy neighbor from the Bellbrook/Spring Valley area.

Hello Mark.
since we are so close (I'm actually in Sugarcreek township) we shot get out and plink some. Actually hope to go to Spring Valley this Sunday @ 1430.

Lee

Mark4470
03-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Hello Mark.
since we are so close (I'm actually in Sugarcreek township) we shot get out and plink some. Actually hope to go to Spring Valley this Sunday @ 1430.

Lee

Lee,
Spring valley twp. here right on the sugercreek line. You couldn't pay me to go to sv range. I do most of my shooting at gcfg. Good luck with your new Kahr!

Mark

daleeman
03-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Lee,
Spring valley twp. here right on the sugercreek line. You couldn't pay me to go to sv range. I do most of my shooting at gcfg. Good luck with your new Kahr!

Mark

Mark,
I understand about "death valley". I am going this Sunday to sight in a red dot with the shotgun shooting slugs.

I am a life member at Simm-Trainer. Ever been there? Great place.
Lee

daleeman
07-26-2013, 10:22 AM
More info on this old thread.

After the "break in period" added expense to original purchase price. ;-( The CW45 settled down for a bit. Then the barrel really started twisting inside the slide. It would be 5 to 8 degrees off center from the pickup in the slide. This would lock the gun up.

Kahr had me take it back the shop I purchased it from because they could not quite believe it was peening and twisting. They cut a call tag to the LGS and after a week or so I got it back at the LGS yesterday.

Had time to shoot it 75 times before it failed to go into battery. Hopefully it is really fixed.

They also replaced my 3 45 ACP magaazines with new design ones.

b4uqzme
07-26-2013, 12:26 PM
thanks for persevering. Karhs are worth it you will find out. good luck and welcome from another Ohioan.

gb6491
07-26-2013, 01:00 PM
They also replaced my 3 45 ACP magaazines with new design ones.
Any chance you could post photos of your new magazines?
Regards,
Greg

daleeman
07-27-2013, 03:00 AM
Thanks. Buckeyes rule

muggsy
08-17-2013, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=daleeman; Also noticed the extractor is really eating into the brass[/QUOTE]

That could be the problem for the failure to return to battery and stovepipe jambs. If the brass rim doesn't slide under the extractor properly the cartridge won't properly align with the barrel. If the extractor won't release the case properly the result can be a stovepipe jamb. I'm not a gunsmith, but I did sleep in a Quality Inn motel last night. :) Actually, my father was a gunsmith and I learned a lot from him.