PDA

View Full Version : School Safety Resource Officer

Dino
03-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Nice fancy job title for an armed Sheriff in our local schools.

I just got off the phone with our school superentendant informing us that they will have two armed Sheriffs placed in our schools, Elementary and the Middle-High starting Monday, good for them in these trying times we have to deal with. We live in a very nice suburban area, and we have a great school system. Big kudos on their behalf. I may have to vote for the next levy.

muggsy
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Outstanding, a school system with a common sense approach to the problem.

ltxi
03-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Schools should contract for armed security. I sense opportunity here. I could be the old fat guy with a uniform and gun ever present in banks and whom I was in awe of back when I was a young kid in the 40's/50's

muggsy
03-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Every time I make a deposit or a withdrawal an old fat guy with a gun is in the bank sans uniform. :)

OldLincoln
03-03-2013, 11:43 AM
If an old fat guy shows up at school they should put him in a PT gym class and make him a firm old slimmer guy. I purely hate seeing way fat police officers. The only thing they can do is yell and call for backup.

Longitude Zero
03-03-2013, 01:42 PM
I had an SRO in my school way back in the 60's and 70's. It is harldy a new concept to educated school systems. Heck where my son went to school has its own seperate Police Department.

jlottmc
03-03-2013, 02:23 PM
We had SRO's when I was there. I hear tale that they are gone (budgets and such) and that the school district is considering their own PD. Fine and dandy, but all of this could be solved much cheaper and easier. Expand the CHL laws so that schools are no longer gun free. Problem solved and little if any cost incurred. Those who want to carry will, those who don't won't and no one is the wiser. Works just like it does on the street. The big things to remember are that 1) concealed means concealed 2) it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to identify an active shooter (hint it's real simple, the guy/gal pointing guns at non-threats is the one that gets the high speed lead injection) and 3) advertise the fact that the law has changed, and watch these things become a historical problem, as in they now be history. "What about the chance that a CHL holder gets shot be another or by the police?" you say. What happens in a restaurant or a movie theater in that sense? Simple solutions to simple problems.
Ok, soapbox going up now.

ltxi
03-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Every time I make a deposit or a withdrawal an old fat guy with a gun is in the bank sans uniform. :)

You use the same bank I do?

bassgunner
03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Wish they would make schools open to cc. I cannot even lock one in the car while at work.