PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Carry suggestions -CM9

dolphman
03-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Ok..So, here's the deal....
I have a Beretta Tomcat that I have been carrying for some time. I like it and it's a nice little pistol. However, I am having my wife in the process of getting her permit... so she will inherit the Tomcat.
About 2 months ago, I purchased a CM9, and of course, like most here, I love it!
Last week I purchased a Galco Lite ankle holster, but I find that the pistol slides down after 5 mins of walking, no matter how tight I put it on..So, I read some more about it and I purchased the calf strap, which should arrive later this week. I hope this solves the sliding issue...But in case it doesn't, I welcome any suggestions regarding any other options for ankle carry. (And, yes, I am set on ankle carry, for reasons I need not go into)...
Thanks, and I would appreciate any comments.

Bawanna
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm not a good comparison since my foot just sits on a foot rest all day but my Ankle Glove has like sheep skin on the inside. I never could use the calf strap even in my vertical days and gave them to other members here. I have chicken skinny legs and not much calf so the strap just slide down with the holster.

I think the calf strap will help if you have a manly leg. You will have to keep the band pretty snug to keep it from shifting but they do work with some experimentation.

I don't know your daily attire but they do make attachment for attaching to a boot or a high top type shoe. Many officers here use those. They aren't quite as discreet which doesn't matter to them but would matter to us as civilians.

mser
03-07-2013, 09:40 AM
The versatility of carry modes is one of the things I appreciate about my PM9. Although not exclusively, I do frequently carry it in a Galco Ankle Glove with the optional calf strap, and have done so for many years. It is secure, comfortable and easily concealed. In my opinion, the calf strap is a must have for the reason you specifically outlined. With the calf strap properly adjusted, you'll find the holster remains securely in place.

dolphman
03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Great to hear! I think the strap will do the trick. Appreciate the feedback...

dkmatthews
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Mark made down as a fan of the ankle glove holster. I also use the calf strap. It works GREAT when wearing a suit or tux and you can't carry on your waist.

Fat-fingered from my Samsung Galaxy TAB2...

Bawanna
03-07-2013, 11:47 AM
You wear a Tux? Double dog dayum. I wore a tux once, actually twice.

I was able to hide a lot of stuff in the cumbersome. Felt like a damn penguin and looked like one too.

dkmatthews
03-07-2013, 12:04 PM
You wear a Tux? Double dog dayum. I wore a tux once, actually twice.

I was able to hide a lot of stuff in the cumbersome. Felt like a damn penguin and looked like one too.

Penguins are cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNvKOzg03Es

josp
03-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I have LARGE calfs from my endurance bicycle riding. I find that if I attach the main strap narrower at the bottom than at the top, my Ankle Glove doesn't slide down. The calf strap feels like I'm taking my blood pressure on my legs, your experience may be different.
There isn't a better holster for ankle carry on the market in my opinion.

jeepster09
03-07-2013, 08:38 PM
I have a Beretta Tomcat that I have been carrying for some time. I like it and it's a nice little pistol. However, I am having my wife in the process of getting her permit... so she will inherit the Tomcat.
About 2 months ago, I purchased a CM9, and of course, like most here, I love it!
Last week I purchased a Galco Lite ankle holster, but I find that the pistol slides down after 5 mins of walking, no matter how tight I put it on..So, I read some more about it and I purchased the calf strap, which should arrive later this week. I hope this solves the sliding issue...But in case it doesn't, I welcome any suggestions regarding any other options for ankle carry. (And, yes, I am set on ankle carry, for reasons I need not go into)...

The calf strap works well, takes some getting used to though.

muggsy
03-11-2013, 06:21 AM

The only gun that I would carry on my ankle is a back-up gun. Your primary carry should be easily accessed. You should also be in a position to shoot and move once you access your gun.

dkmatthews
03-11-2013, 07:37 AM
The only gun that I would carry on my ankle is a back-up gun. Your primary carry should be easily accessed. You should also be in a position to shoot and move once you access your gun.

Muggsy, if someone can find no other place/method for carry other than the ankle, then that's what they should do. A gun on the ankle might not be ideal, but it's better than the one left at home.

muggsy
03-14-2013, 08:38 AM
There are many ways and places to conceal a firearm no matter how you are dressed. Ankle carry is the least preferred of all carry methods.

dkmatthews
03-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Best wishes to the OP for getting the help he was seeking.

wyntrout
03-14-2013, 09:35 AM
In Florida we can't open carry and shorts are our normal wear, so ankle carry is out of the question! I like to carry IWB so I don't have to do anything but sweep up my shirt tail and draw my weapon, which I can do one-handed.

YMMV!

Wynn:)

kb2wji
03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
I carry a PM9 as a back-up. The only way i'll ever carry on my ankle is secured like this one. It laces onto my boot, and then velcro's around the boot. I've had some looooong foot pursuits with this on, and it hasnt so much as flinched. It's absolutely secure doesnt flop around in the least. If you dont wear boots, I dunno what to tell you :D

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j335/kb2wji/Gun%20Stuff/DSC02188.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j335/kb2wji/Gun%20Stuff/DSC02189.jpg

I believe its a Gould & Goodrich ~$50 Only way to go IMO. Had the Galco, but it moved around too much and was uncomfortable.

muggsy
03-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Ol' Jocko visits a nudist camp each summer. Can't imagine where he keeps his gun hidden, but where there's a will there's a way. :)

Bawanna
03-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Perhaps his gun is small enough to hide in plain sight. I heard it was an over 60 group and maybe glasses aren't allowed? (perhaps a blessing)

Just hearsay, I got nothing to back this up.