PDA

View Full Version : finally got it

white08gt
03-07-2013, 05:15 PM
my carry permit came in the mail Monday. went to range today, put 50 rounds of Remington 115 fmj. shot really good. got 2 boxes of hornady critical duty 135 jhp and 1 box plus P shot a lot better with critical duty. no problems so far with my cw9, only shot a little over 300 rounds from reloads to plus P so far, getting better with every outing. just picked up a Uncle Mikes iwb holster, very comfortable, wish it had a metal clip but it is a cheap holster. thought I would throw out a little love for the cw9.

willwork4guns
03-07-2013, 05:28 PM
CW's are very nice guns for the money IMO. I'm going to try and snatch up a CW380 as soon as I can.

deadeye
03-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Glad you are happy with your CW. My CM 9 is the best shooting gun I have owned. How long did it take you to get your permit?

phil413tx
03-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Congrats on the permit! It is always fun to start carrying. Make sure you are super confident in your gun.

itsthelaw
03-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm SUPER excited for you! Enjoy the process...it is a process. Congrats!

7shot
03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Congrats on getting your CC license. Now you need to sign up for some defensive pistol classes, well worth it IMO. Plus, they're just plan fun...

JFootin
03-08-2013, 07:04 AM
There is a right of passage called the Wally Walk that you will have to perform. It involves putting the fully loaded gun in your chosen carry holster and concealing it with your clothing. Then, you go to your local Walmart and shop, walking the aisles nonchalantly. Avoid tells such as tugging on your clothing. Make sure before you leave the house that it is well covered. Try to avoid bending over or reaching high above your head for something because such moves could reveal it.

It's funny. Your first time, you feel so nervous and kind of like you are doing something wrong, which you aren't. After a while, you relax and behave like normal. And in fact, acting normal and almost forgetting it is there is the key. Nobody is paying that much attention to you, and they don't notice even if there is a slight bulge visible.

So, accept the challenge and do the Wally Walk! And welcome to the ranks of legal CCers! :D

Craig1056
03-08-2013, 07:15 AM
How true about the "Wally Walk" - LOL. I remember when I first got the CC it felt like everyone was watching and knew I had a concealed weapon. Now - Just like you say, I find myself forgetting it's there.

RevRay
03-08-2013, 07:25 AM
my carry permit came in the mail Monday ...

How long did it take for you to get your carry permit? I'm in CT and today marks six weeks that I've been waiting. And I can't pick up my CM9 that's waiting at the gun shop without it.

ParrotHead
03-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Wally Walk...LOL. I did the "Kohl's Walk"

Craig1056
03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
How long did it take for you to get your carry permit? I'm in CT and today marks six weeks that I've been waiting. And I can't pick up my CM9 that's waiting at the gun shop without it.

Hey Rev,

I'm also a CT native. Got my CC about 2 years ago and it took about 6 to 8 weeks of which 90% was waiting for the local guys to process my background check. Not a priority for most local law enforcement groups - especially the smaller ones. Once I received the paperwork went down to the State Police with my 3rd money order - lol - and had it within 30 minutes.

I'm guessing processing times are likely worse being there has been a massive increase in CC permit requests over the last few months.

Good luck, hopefully you will be official soon.

Craig ...

Bill K
03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Good for you for getting your permit. I highly recommend you carry all the time and everywhere you can do so legally. We all hope we never have to use our firearm in a defensive situation but you just never know.

aray
03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
It's funny. Your first time, you feel so nervous and kind of like you are doing something wrong, which you aren't. After a while, you relax and behave like normal. And in fact, acting normal and almost forgetting it is there is the key. Nobody is paying that much attention to you, and they don't notice even if there is a slight bulge visible.

So, accept the challenge and do the Wally Walk! And welcome to the ranks of legal CCers! :D

I remember well my first time, especially since I can't CC in my own state. I got my non-resident FL permit and the first time I used it was when we went camping up in PA.

It was such a feeling of empowerment. I felt like I was being treated as a responsible adult for the first time in my life. And yes I do recall the slight voice in the back of my head telling me I was doing something wrong but the logic portion kicked and and told me "No, this is how it's supposed to be! This is how normal people live."

I leave the state so infrequently that I still get that feeling a bit but it has died down somewhat. Now the emotion I most suffer from the most is the huge sadness I get when I have to disarm as I approach the MD border and have to surrender my 2A Rights on my return. Sigh.

I still love CCing every chance I get to leave the state. Sadly PA has a new Attorney General who has altered the reciprocity agreement with FL and now non-resident permits are not honored in PA. So it looks like my family will be doing our camping elsewhere.

white08gt
03-08-2013, 12:55 PM
CC today for the first time, like some of the posters on here, did feel a little strange. went to the bank, no signs against being armed. now I know what getting dressed meant for real, haven't figured out what position is the best for me. never thought I would cc, been around guns and hunting my whole life, just never had much use for pistols even though I owned 2 pistols for 40 years. I am a pretty big guy and workout about 5-6 days a week, the times they are changing. I think after time it will be second nature and will get use to carrying, especially while traveling. one person asked, took about 5 weeks to get my permit after class and finger printing. thanks to everyone on here for all the tips about a new firearm.

Jeremiah/Az
03-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Congrats! After awhile, puttin' it on is just a part of gittin' dressed!