PDA

View Full Version : concealed carry question

RET04
03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I am brand spanking new so forgive me but I don't get something....

I purchased a De Santis holster....anyways it seems to me that a lot of people are really worried about a gun printing. Isn't good enough if you have a good holster?
Another point along the same line is this. My state is also an open carry state...so it leads me to believe it is either ALL or NOTHING. Meaning I either hide my cm9 or I display my cm9...so why should I have to worry again if my gun prints? I asked other friends and they can't tell I have my cm9 in my pocket. Do I get a penalty if someone can guess I have a gun in my pocket?
I chose the pocket holster because I have noticed people with an IWB holster...especially at the grocery store.
Thank you in advance.

unworthy
03-08-2013, 10:53 AM
If you're in an open carry state I don't think the issue of printing applies unless you personally care one way or another. I'd suggest reading the wording of the law though.

wyntrout
03-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Florida doesn't have open carry and it used to be that if anyone saw your pistol, they could call and you could get ticketed or whatever. A few years ago a separate law was passed to protect permitted carriers from being "persecuted" for inadvertent exposure. You can still have "man with a gun calls" by gun haters, but now we CC permit holders are protected from accidental "brandishing" prosecutions.

I don't know about your state and you would have to read the laws carefully.

I carry concealed because I don't want undue attention from alarmists or bad guys knowing whom to shoot first or rob of his gun!

Wynn:)

7shot
03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
here in texas we don't have both choices, just conceal carry. the reason i'm picky if my pistol prints is because i don't want some sob to know my buisness. so i wear the best possible clothing that fits my lifestile and watch how i bend and knell to eliminate printing the best i can. this is the idea behind conceal carry, you're not suppose to know it's there...

i not a fan of open carry, just invites to much trouble from a-holes that don't see things the same way as me. so i guess if you live in an open carry state it won't matter if you print or not. but don't quote me on that, there might be laws that say different.

Bawanna
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Each state varies, here in Washington if your carrying concealed and you have a wardrobe malfunction it's ok because we also have open carry. I support open carry just for this reason. I never open carry but if I inadvertently expose my weapon I'm covered.

To clarify Wynns post though, exposing your gun by accident and brandishing are two completely different situations. The gun haters would call any sight of a gun brandishing but there has to be intent to justify brandishing.

I don't know your states laws but I suspect if you print a little it's not gonna be a big issue if you have open carry.

DeeDubya
03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Texas CHL Definitions

(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

I don't think "printing" is considered openly discernable.

I would assume that a "wardrobe malfunction" would normally be overlooked by law enforcement. Now if you intentionally hike your jacket or otherwise advertantly display then you're gonna be in trouble. If Janet Jackson had been wearing a shoulder holster at the Super Bowl then she would be in trouble too (had anyone actually noticed the handgun).

OldLincoln
03-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Some people will react if they see anything in your pocket they can imagine is a gun. But most people won't even notice unless you are wearing very tight, thin pants. When I pocket carried And felt it was too obvious I cut the side out of a plastic milk to fit my pocket and slipped it between the holster and outer fabric. I blurred the lines to plausibly look like a wallet. They also make pocket holster that have the outer side cut squared to look like a wallet.

RET04
03-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Thank you everyone that responded.

I agree also with not wanting to open carry. If I was the bad guy...I would take out someone with an open carry first.

I guess what confused me is that some people here in WV carry a BIG 357 in their IWB small the back holster or a huge full size auto. I don't know if they are just trying to impress someone or stupid. Everyone in the grocery store knows they have it. I know in the winter time you could easily hide a bigger gun but in the summertime you look out of place with a flanel shirt on.

Thank you clarifying it for me.

JFootin
03-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the forum, RET04! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) sections of the forum.

And welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! :D Our official symbol is the wide grin smily because we are so happy with our purchase that we can't wipe the smiles off our faces!

Here is your club badge.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Smilies/BigSmily.jpg

Sounds like you are in NC. You'll get over the nervousness about printing. The only people who might notice are other CCers. The best holster I have found for forget-it-is-there comfort 24/7 with my CM9 is the PJ IWB Holster (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). There are so, so many members here that will concur. Paul is a great guy and a real gun lover, and he performs magic with kydex - making the holster incredibly comfortable to where you can't tell it is there whether sitting, standing or moving about. It is like the mass of the gun disappears, becoming one with your body. I carry mine with a 15° cant just behind my hip - the sweet spot. I prefer the linked one with the over the belt clip. It is available with j-hook, c-hook and velcro attachment method, and tuckable is an option. I have a tuckable one with velcro for if I need total concealment, but normally wear the above under a loose shirt.

Flincher
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the forum from North Dakota and a "smokin" P380

Tyranta
03-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Welcome from ND.

muggsy
03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
If you carry concealed you don't want your gun to print, because if it prints everyone will know that you are carrying. Kinda defeats the purpose of carrying concealed. Most guns print a little, but most people are oblivious to what's going on around them.

lamppa
03-14-2013, 07:49 PM
, but most people are oblivious to what's going on around them.

word