PDA

View Full Version : Got to Meet a Sheriff last night

falcondriver
03-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Went to eat dinner with the family. Sitting in a crowded restaraunt, when I see a scruffy looking guy with his tshirt un tucked and barely hooked on a 1911. I tolded my brother in law to look in his direction and we agreed we should say something to him as a common courtesy to a fellow CHL owner. My comment to him was "Shirt" and his rude comment to me was I don't have to hide it cause I'm a sheriff. I automatically backed off cause nobody could see his badge. He did come back to my table and tried to smooth over the fact that he was rude to me, when I was just trying to be nice. With that being said , does a LEO have to display a badge and a gun? Just curious.

FD

OldLincoln
03-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Around here they are supposed to carry concealed off duty. On duty is different.

MW surveyor
03-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Badges? We don't need no sink'in badges.

downtownv
03-09-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't care who you are..... rude doesn't cut it!

ltxi
03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I don't care who you are..... rude doesn't cut it!

Might well be why he apologized after first embarrassed reaction to realizing his side arm was exposed.

mluikey
03-09-2013, 03:26 PM
In my part of town, the office of Sheriff is an elected position, rude doesn't cut it.

DeaconKC
03-09-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm a parole agent and when I'm working it is normal clothes, so if my gun is showing, my badge is right next to it. Off duty I keep my sidearm concealed but do not have to have the badge showing.

CJB
03-09-2013, 04:44 PM
deputy most likely

Here's the thing: forget the law. He's a guy with a gun, and no badge. What is OTHER LEO s'posed to do with him? Do all men on the street know this guy? With that attitude, perhaps so..... but its ******* common courtesy to carry concealed, or carry with creds when in street clothes.

Bill K
03-09-2013, 05:22 PM
One of the most difficult things for a person to do is to admit they're wrong. The Sheriff, if I read you right, came half way to an outright apology, good for him.

MikeyKahr
03-09-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm a parole agent and when I'm working it is normal clothes, so if my gun is showing, my badge is right next to it. Off duty I keep my sidearm concealed but do not have to have the badge showing.

Around here, what the good Deacon said goes.

Ol'coot
03-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Rude from any LEO is unacceptable as a public servant and it was uncalled for but here in Michigan we are a open carry state and I see people with their sidearm exposed a lot. It is not a big deal as far as I am concerned. I do not open carry often as I think conceal carry is a better option but it does not bother me for the ones that do open carry. No badge required here.

falcondriver
03-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Open carry is a no no in Texas, but that might change someday. I heard they got it approved in OK if you have a CHL.
FD

Planedude
03-10-2013, 09:37 PM
The rude was bad, but I was happy to hear that he took the time to try and "smooth it out".
He might have also thought he was about to recive a lecture on the "evil gun" (saw that once myself at a chicken place...) and spouting off about being a LEO was a "nipper it in the bud" move.
No way of knowing, but Kudos to you and your Brother-in-law for saying something when 95% of folks would have said zip and the other 4% would have said the wrong thing.

reswob
03-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Sounds like a lot of you don't have open carry in your states. 'Round here, if we see a firearm on someone's hip we might say 'hey, nice gun!'.

steve666
03-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Here in Indiana open carry is allowed so it doesn't matter, but there is just no excuse for rude.