PDA

View Full Version : little help with reassembly please

Eldiablojoe
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before. I did a brief forum search, but didn't locate anyone discussing my exact issue, so here goes:

I've got a new P9. I've got about 750 rounds through it now. After each session at the range (About 200 rounds each time), I'd field strip it down and clean it with gun scrubber, break free, a nylon brush, a nylon bore brush, some patches and some Q-tips.

Anyhow, each time, no problem with reassembly.

This time, however, problem. Everything seems just right, but on final reassembly where my last step is to put the slide on the receiver, push the slide back so the hash marks line up, and insert the slide stop lever.

Problem: I can't slide the slide back any further than about a half inch- just short of the hash marks lining up. Due to this, I can't install the slide stop and then pull and lock the slide to the rear.

I've disassembled and reassembled, both with and without pulling the trigger to make sure there wasn't pressure on the spring.

Any one have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Bawanna
04-07-2010, 11:37 PM
I get that same deal occasionally with my K40. Had it apart many many times with no issues but once in awhile it just don't want to play. I think it's the way the planets are aligned or something.

I find that if I move the guide rod, recoil spring around just a bit and I dont have an exact answer to where but just keep adjusting till it will go. Sometimes just a bit more pressure will make it go. You shouldn't have to pull the trigger to put the slide on but sometimes moving it or pulling it just a bit makes it happen too.

DON"T do like a fella a few days ago and insert a loaded mag into the gun. It worked for him and he cycled a round into the chamber with no take down lever in place and then was stuck. He dinged around a long time before he finally got it open and unloaded. No body shot or injured.

It'll go just keep tinkering, wish I had a more specific remedy for you.

Eldiablojoe
04-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Nope, that ain't doin it. Thanks though.

gb6491
04-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I always have to manipulate the trigger on my CW45 to install the slide. Mine stops about where you describe; if I point the pistol slightly upwards at this point and squeeze the trigger just a little amount the slide will move back enough to insert the stop. The slight movement of the trigger allows the slide to pass over the trigger bar on my gun. You might want to check that the trigger bar can be depressed where it sits in the frame at the rear of your pistol (extractor side).
Regards,
Greg

Eldiablojoe
04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Okay, got it! Stupid me! When I reassemble the slide, and it is slid onto the lower receiver to the normal position, that is when I insert the slide stop partially into the hole in the frame. THEN I crank the slide back to line up the hash marks, where I firmly insert the slide stop fully. NOW the slide racks and locks to the rear properly, and charges correctly.

Thanks guys!

Bawanna
04-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Okay, got it! Stupid me! When I reassemble the slide, and it is slid onto the lower receiver to the normal position, that is when I insert the slide stop partially into the hole in the frame. THEN I crank the slide back to line up the hash marks, where I firmly insert the slide stop fully. NOW the slide racks and locks to the rear properly, and charges correctly.

Thanks guys!

Outstanding, well all learn from your experience and when this happens again maybe we'll be able to help the next guy or gal. Glad your on the track again.

Eldiablojoe
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks. As a guy who has been regularly carrying and shooting automagics for 20 years, I couldn't believe how much trouble I was having reassemblying this thing. I mean, Geeez, it's not a Ruger MKII with it's earned reputation at being difficult to reassemble, haha.

Bawanna
04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks. As a guy who has been regularly carrying and shooting automagics for 20 years, I couldn't believe how much trouble I was having reassemblying this thing. I mean, Geeez, it's not a Ruger MKII with it's earned reputation at being difficult to reassemble, haha.

I've pulled alot of hair out on my ruger as well. It's really not difficult. I've had guys say they hate Kahrs cause they have to tap out the slide lock lever. Not a big deal, and of course not one ever read the owners manual that tells how to do it correctly. The weird thing on these Kahrs to me is I'll put it together 20 times without an issue and then bam, it just plain don't want to go. I've tried to figure out exactly what I'm doing without success, I try to stay consistant with how I hold my mouth, the position of the moon and stars and yet it still gets me now and then. I still like it though, guess I enjoy torturing myself.

wyntrout
04-08-2010, 05:32 PM
That slide stop pin has to go through that oblong hole on the underside of the barrel, and it usually isn't lined up when the witness marks are just lined up. I just watch for that hole and get the pin through that and then I can line up the marks or just watch the cutout alignment with the slide stop. Getting the pin in outside that hole necessitates a trip back to the mothership, I believe.:eek:
Wynn:)