PDA

View Full Version : Grips

turgeon69
03-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Hi, Looked all over and could not find a answer for this question...I have a chance to pickup a k40 covert and would like wood grips on it anybody know if mk40 grips will fit? thanks :yo:

zamboni
03-11-2013, 10:06 PM
The K models have a longer grip than the MK, so no, it won't fit.

turgeon69
03-11-2013, 10:12 PM
This is true but the covert has a cut down grip is this not correct?

Bawanna
03-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Correct but I don't know for sure. It would make sense that they would. If they leave the mounting screw holes the same a person might be able to cut down K grips.

an email to Kahr might give a solid answer.

queevil
03-11-2013, 11:34 PM
I have a k40 covert and had kind of the same question except that I was wonder if the CT lasergrip for the mk would fit. It would be nice if hogue would make a nice grip for it. Wood is pretty, rubber is functional.

muggsy
03-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Wood was functional long before rubber.

zamboni
03-12-2013, 08:51 AM
This is true but the covert has a cut down grip is this not correct?

Sorry. My eyes totally missed that your K40 was a covert model.

turgeon69
03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Still no answer :( ....guess I may have to call Kahr ...thanks everyone for the replies.

Nimrod
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Ask Kahr.

queevil
03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=muggsy;229472]Wood was functional long before rubber.

I guess I should have said that rubber is more functional than wood or plastic for the purpose of shooting my Kahr.

muggsy
03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
I'll give you a pass on that one, queevil. :)

gb6491
03-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi, Looked all over and could not find a answer for this question...I have a chance to pickup a k40 covert and would like wood grips on it anybody know if mk40 grips will fit? thanks :yo:
It seems to me that this person used "MK" series grips on their K40 Covert:
http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-24/144008-new-pistol-project.html
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
03-13-2013, 05:02 PM
It would certainly make sense. Otherwise you have a handle with a mag sticking out to far.

Planedude
03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Bawanna, I hear of folks "thinning out" the wood grips they get from Khar. Any ideal of how much you can thin the grips and do you know if the thinned grips are more/super prone to cracking?
I'm leaning towrds some wood grips for my K9 but would love them thinner and with different screws.
Just wondering...

Bawanna
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
I've not seen a set in person but from pictures Ive seen I'd say they can be thinned a lot. Several folks have said they were gonna order and send them to me to thin but so far no one has.

Thinner would make more prone to crack but that mostly depends on the grain and wood. I think they would still be plenty strong.

Planedude
03-15-2013, 08:01 PM
If you thinned the grips, then bushed the screw holes in the grips with say brass or a T6 or T81 Aluminum so you could not over tighten the panels do you think they would be safer from cracking.
When I have heard of these grips being cracked it has always been from over tighting. I would like to change my grip screws out for something not slotted. I understand some have used 1911 grip screws but they have to be shortened? Not a big deal for me if the Kahr and 1911 screws are interchangable in thread dia and thread pitch.
Never has been much avilable to dress a Kahr up with in the grip department (true for steel and plastic guns).
I want to make mine purrrty, but still be a carry gun. Never wanted a safe queen.

Ikeo74
03-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Bawanna, I hear of folks "thinning out" the wood grips they get from Khar. Any ideal of how much you can thin the grips and do you know if the thinned grips are more/super prone to cracking?
I'm leaning towrds some wood grips for my K9 but would love them thinner and with different screws.
Just wondering...
I have the MK9 with wood grips. The top of the grip that is the rear extension under the slide, is very thin. It is now so thin that there is a re-enforcement tab glue into the inside of that area so it won't split off of the grip. I don't see how this area could be thinned any more than it is. In my opinion the grips can "NOT" be thinned without ruining the grips and the appearance of the gun.

Bawanna
03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
I have the MK9 with wood grips. The top of the grip that is the rear extension under the slide, is very thin. It is now so thin that there is a re-enforcement tab glue into the inside of that area so it won't split off of the grip. I don't see how this area could be thinned any more than it is. In my opinion the grips can "NOT" be thinned without ruining the grips and the appearance of the gun.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that re enforcement tab is only on the right side and it's there for the trigger bar to ride on so it doesn't wear into the wood and allow it to come out too far and hence fail.

I've never had an issue and don't add the metal tab but it is a sound idea.

Your are right in that the little rear piece there is the weak link. I've made a ton of Beretta 92 grips and that same area has to be very thin since the grip is already fat. Then they have the round washer deal on the 92FS that makes it even thinner. I've had a lot of them break on duty.
Never made any with stabilized wood but I suspect it would have a much better outcome.