PDA

View Full Version : Kahr sight picture

throw1out
03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I've never shot a kahr before but I am the new owner to a kahr T40. Could someone tell me what the sight picture is for a kahr. I own sigs and with them you line up all three dots and cover the bullseye with the front sight. Is it the same or a different sight picture with kahr.

lamppa
03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Im sure its different for each user, depending on your head/ eye position.
aim, shoot, view results.

jocko
03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
U sure got a dandy gun there witht aht T40, not to many see around this forum. What lampa states is is about right to. We allhave our ow way of shooting. Being the T40 is a big kahr to, I will say it is still a defense gun due to it loong trigger system, so for me if u priactice close, keepit under 10 yards, just try POA sahooting, seein that front sight clearly and the rest will fallin place, U willget fast at this method, U ain'tgonna shoot 1" groups but again I just don't consider kahrs target guns due toteir loooonbg trigger system. for me: screw ling up those dots and eveything, that just ain't gonna happen in a SHTF situation. Do thatwith ur sigs maybe. Welcome to a good forum. a ncie photo of the K40 wqold be proper when u have enough posts to do so.

Being u have never shot a kahr before, I would strogly recommend u visit a couple of great stickys on the kahr tech section/

#1 kahr lube chart

#2 propper prepping of ur kahr

#3wyn new member information section

prep ur gun before u go to the range that first time and it might save some grief.

chrish
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
But if you are trying to use your sights, then yes, same as your Sig. Line up the dots (or dot the 'i' on stock Kahr sights), cover the target/poi with the front sight. Not positioned directly under the target/poi, not below the target/poi.

That assumes the stock Kahr dot the 'i' sights or night sights like the meprolights. If you have the Novak sights version, it may be different, not sure what the sight pict on Novaks should be. Maybe someone can chime in here on that.

wyntrout
03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Using the tops of the sights for fine aiming, it's Point of Impact = Point of Aim... POI=POA.

You'll have to decide where to aim and what works for you. Dot the "i" is rough for quick shooting. You'll have to test and see what that does for you, but the top of the front sight is bit higher than the top of the dot. Most right-handed people seem to shoot low and to the left. the long trigger pull is smooth and you can easily get in a hurry and jerk... or anticipate recoil and push the pistol forward and down... hitting lower.

If you stick much of your trigger finger inside the trigger guard you may get blisters and pull the pistol to one side. The trick is to use the first pad or near the first joint and just move that part of the finger to the rear... not a squeeze... which tends to cause sideways torquing of the pistol and pull to one side.

Many people have opinions and these are some of mine. I try to use the entire range of possible bad habits to use more of my targets... space the holes out. I don't try for tiny groups but fire quickly without a lot of aiming. I aim on the first shot or two, then point in an approximation of the sight picture I had when aiming, but a LOT quicker... with lots of jerking and pushing, etc! I don't figure bad guys will stand still like the paper targets, and small groups can be gratifying, but I'm happy to hit a sheet of paper at 15 yards and much better than that at 7 to 10 yards. My eyes haven't gotten better in almost 67 years!

JMHO. YMMV!

Wynn:)

JFootin
03-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Very good instruction, Wynn! And your detailed greeting messages for new members is superb! My hat's off to ya! :yo:

You're right about the sight picture. Even more for me now, since I replaced the lost front sight on my CM9 with a Dawson Precision FO sight. I don't have a micrometer and I cannot see it, but I think the new sight is a hair taller because I was shooting low and have had to alter my sight picture some. I now line up the front dot centered between the two sharp points at the top of the Kahr rear sight. In fact, I now know why the rear sight is shaped that way. It is surprisingly quicker to get the front sight centered there, ignoring the white bar.

muggsy
03-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Very good instruction, Wynn! And your detailed greeting messages for new members is superb! My hat's off to ya! :yo:

You're right about the sight picture. Even more for me now, since I replaced the lost front sight on my CM9 with a Dawson Precision FO sight. I don't have a micrometer and I cannot see it, but I think the new sight is a hair taller because I was shooting low and have had to alter my sight picture some. I now line up the front dot centered between the two sharp points at the top of the Kahr rear sight. In fact, I now know why the rear sight is shaped that way. It is surprisingly quicker to get the front sight centered there, ignoring the white bar.

You see um like I seem um, J.

Gringo Pistolero
03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but i've always pretty much ignored dots and bars on sights. Focus on front sight, line up the top of front and rear, front centered in the notch...
In my younger days I would often paint or blacken any dots with sight black to get rid of the distraction, but through the years I have learned to just ignore them.

Chuck

Tank
03-19-2013, 07:35 PM
My T40 with standard sights about like Wynn's pic, with the front dot almost on centerline of the bullseye, not under it like some guns. What sights does your gun have?

throw1out
03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Mine has the drift adjustable sights but i plan on having them replaced. Thanks for all of the good info fella's.

t2ohio
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
I used to aim a lot more. Now mostly just point shooting like jocko said. It gets fun when you start getting more accurate than you realized you could. The long trigger doesn't seem to bother me anymore either. Close range weapon as others have said.

Have fun!

sent from from Galaxy S3 using tapatalk