PDA

View Full Version : Justice Stevens to retire from SCOTUS

at_liberty
04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Just reported that Justice Stevens will retire when the current session adjourns in June or July. He was not our friend.

Washington Post report:

Justice John Paul Stevens to retire from court in June (http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/DME6KX/E7VM8/YG5057/EF09RC/35NX2/36/t)

jlottmc
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Neither will his replacement.

Wayne's World
04-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I shutter to think what we will be stuck with as a replacement.

Chief Joseph
04-10-2010, 12:46 AM
The most scary thing is if the dems get ONE more justice on the court The DC gun ban was overturned on a 5-4 decision. 4 liberal judges voted that DC could BAN ownership. If they get the 5th justice, ALL of our freedoms are done and NOTHING will stop the bolshevik juggernaut.

at_liberty
04-10-2010, 07:38 AM
The most scary thing is if the dems get ONE more justice on the court The DC gun ban was overturned on a 5-4 decision. 4 liberal judges voted that DC could BAN ownership. If they get the 5th justice, ALL of our freedoms are done and NOTHING will stop the bolshevik juggernaut.

I think that will ride on Scalia's future as the senior conservative, if you can call him that. I don't think it is very likely that a conservative will ever again be President, so it's only a matter of time until the Supreme Court becomes the supreme power in the land, staffed entirely by Democratic Party nominees, making stuff up as they go along.

A debatable quote about Stevens that seemed so apropos was "inventing rights (and jurisdiction) that aren't in the Constitution, and ignoring those that are".

ripley16
04-10-2010, 07:49 AM
This shows why term limits and/or age limits should apply to the SCOTUS. Having a limit removes some of the politics over when a justice retires. I'd be happy if we turned them over after say twenty years service or at 75 years of age. The lifetime appointment is one of the few mistakes the framers made when writing the Constitution.

TheSorb
04-10-2010, 09:08 AM
...If they get the 5th justice, ALL of our freedoms are done and NOTHING will stop the bolshevik juggernaut.

It's VERY scary!:puke:

O'Dell
04-10-2010, 10:45 AM

So far we've been lucky, and only two liberal justices have retired, so the 5 - 4 ratio is preserved. If, and that's a very big if, we do our job on November 2nd, Mr Obama will have a tough job with liberal appointments after next January.

at_liberty
04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
In any case, the discussion from GOP senators will be about abortion and perhaps property rights, with little more than token mention of RKBA. That could change, if enough of us speak up about moving DC gun law higher up on the agenda for discussion in hearings.