PDA

View Full Version : How close do night sights need to be?

Alfonse
03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
I just installed night sights on one of my CZs, Trudots on this one.

It was pretty easy even though I haven't tried it before.

But, I do have a question. I have the rear sight centered within .004 or so side to side. That was about as close as I seemed to be able to get it tapping on it (drift adjustable I think it is called). I'll know when I shoot it, but should that be close enough?

Thanks!

mr surveyor
03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
when they're on, they're on. You have to decide what you consider "close enough"

wyntrout
03-26-2013, 11:24 PM
I just installed my second set and I did both by the TLAR method. The first was dead on. The latest are Big Dots and I'll have to wait until I get to the range. I have several pistols to shoot and try out now. I did try my LASER boresighter with both of the latest and they look pretty close... the new Ruger MK3 Lite with adjustable sights and the the P40 with the Big Dots.

Ideally, you would want to fire 5 shots from a rest and toss the furthest from the point of aim, but that depends on your shooting. If you shoot as I do, I use a lot of the target, and I'm watching for when everything feels right... where those shots go... as far as figuring the sights are aligned vertically. I usually shoot at 7 yards and lately at 10 yards as well, but 15 yards is max range at the place I shoot and my shots are mostly on a sheet of paper at that range... old eyes and all. I'm really just concerned with self defense range... 7 yards, but 10 is controllable for me... 15 yards not so much. I haven't bought a rest and the range doesn't have chairs or rests, so it's offhand and standing unless I take something with me.

Wynn:)

TLAR: That Looks About Right. I "eyeballed" it.

340pd
03-27-2013, 06:25 AM
After a sight install I always shoot a group, and then have another person shoot one just to confirm my target. Bring your brass punch and hammer with you to the range just in case.

Alfonse
03-27-2013, 08:29 AM
It looks pretty good to a bore sight. I'll shoot it this weekend and adjust as necessary.

Thanks!

jocko
03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
I just installed night sights on one of my CZs, Trudots on this one.

It was pretty easy even though I haven't tried it before.

But, I do have a question. I have the rear sight centered within .004 or so side to side. That was about as close as I seemed to be able to get it tapping on it (drift adjustable I think it is called). I'll know when I shoot it, but should that be close enough?

Thanks!

might be on for me and mayb enot be on for u. every shooter tend sto jdo thigs slightly different. RH vs LH also is a factor. No doubt ur close but shootin it will get the results ur looking for. Don't be in to much of a hurry to start moving the sights either. If ur shots are very tight groups and maybe low left or what ever, then ur form could be considered pretty good and maybe an adjustment is needed but if ur groups are all over the place, then more rounds are needed..

MW surveyor
03-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Or................................................ ...............do like jocko and shoot one shot groups!

jocko
03-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Or................................................ ...............do like jocko and shoot one shot groups!

u see my point which is " my first shot always goes exactly where I want it to go???It is the rest of the shots that don't. So I stop at 1 shot and call it a GOOD DAY. Works for me:D

getsome
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Just shoot once and whatever you happen to hit say that was the target you were aiming at and then walk away....Hard to argue with that!...:cool:

muggsy
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Do you think that you can keep your hand from moving .004 while holding the gun at arms length. Don't worry about it. You'll do just fine at 21 feet.

Alfonse
03-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Do you think that you can keep your hand from moving .004 while holding the gun at arms length. Don't worry about it. You'll do just fine at 21 feet.

Yeah, I did the math. I'm really within about .002" because the variation is .004 from side to side.

So, using the old trigonometry, that makes it within 0.019 degrees of dead on.

But, I will just shoot it and verify anyway.

jocko
03-28-2013, 07:41 PM
I l;iked trig in high chool, so much that I took it 3 times. I never did solve the problem of what makes gum stick on the bottom of a desk seat. Just sayin

Alfonse
03-28-2013, 08:10 PM
I l;iked trig in high chool, so much that I took it 3 times. I never did solve the problem of what makes gum stick on the bottom of a desk seat. Just sayin

That's a problem I'd have to chew on for awhile.

mr surveyor
03-28-2013, 08:21 PM

simple... you measure the mass of the ball of gum, roll it into a ball, measure it and use the old pi are squared thing times the mc squared thing and divide by the square root of a hippopotamus...... or have a good time looking up the dress of the good looking gal sitting behind you when bend over and look back when you experiment with the gum/chair theory

must be why I didn't get much from trig in high school (a "D":o) ... and now it's the basis for everything I do in my profession :D

jocko
03-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Oh, I did not know u had to takethegum out of ur mouth . actally if I was even thinking of looking up the dress of a gal, how would I knowfromthat position if she was goodlookinor not and , andshould I really care???? Just sayin

don't ask, don't tell but a D in trig, and ur doing this stuff alot today. I do hope it is not aircraft enginesor elevator motors..:D:D:Amflag2:

muggsy
03-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Yeah, I did the math. I'm really within about .002" because the variation is .004 from side to side.

So many things to worry about, so little time to shoot.

ltxi
03-29-2013, 06:33 PM

At least I appreciate your humor.

muggsy
04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
How close do front sights have to be? At least within arms length. :) (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

wyntrout
04-01-2013, 12:16 PM
I need to buy a 2-point pistol rest so that I can really see where my latest two guns group... the Ruger is fine, but capable of better accuracy than I can get offhand.

I'm kind of bummed by my latest project... my P40. I just installed Big Dots on it and they seem to shoot about 2" low at 7 yards. This sucks as I have to cover the target or shoot over it to get near the center. The sights were taller and I eye-balled the installation... pretty well centered, but had to trim a bunch off the front sight base and the sight part that was contacting the slide as I tried to tap them in with the supplied plastic non-marring punch. I figured that I RAISED the impact point a bit, but au contraire... a little French lingo there... the impact point still indicates the front is too high!

For quick and dirty self-defense ranges, I can still hit center of mass easily, but "aiming" at any distance will require more practice. I just checked at XS and I DO have the proper sights.

I researched online and watched a lot of videos showing how to use the sights BEFORE buying them, but so far, I'm disappointed. I certainly don't feel as confident with these NS as I did with the original dot-the-"i" ones, though I prefer 3-dot NS.

Wynn:(

OldLincoln
04-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Darn, Muggsy, you took my post! My smartalec answer is far enough that the slide doesn't hit your eye.

MW surveyor
04-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I have refrained from making any snide remarks as 0.004" is a very large number!

muggsy
04-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Sorry Linc, since your a tad older than I, next time I'll give you the edge. :)