PDA

View Full Version : printable gun video

knkali
03-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA

Longitude Zero
03-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Interesting. As to the claim that in a few years everybody will have a 3D printer in there home is bilge rott hoqwash. Google 3D printers and check out the price for the printer and then the medium used to make the prints. Kinda like the idiots who claimed one day there would be an airplane in every garage.

Same lack of forethought. Maybe a few wealthy folks will have them but mainstream households nope.

Planedude
03-27-2013, 10:05 PM
During the start-up of the F-35 program, Lockheed, sparing NO expenss, made a number of 3D printed parts from cad progams for parts we could not get from vendors yet. We would carefully load the sim parts and verifiy that our fuel lines, CAS air and some Hydro lines (bent titainium) would actualy fit when the real parts arrived.

These simm-ed parts were made with truely the best material available anywhere in the world on the best machines in the world.
They are flat out cool and they are really NOT metal.

If you build up a gun, even a .22 using this process, please do not ask me to hang out for the test fire.
I'll stay home and watch it (blow up) on U-tube...
If you build a firearm from this plastic resin, what you have is a model at best and a toy for sure. The world is a long ways off from this being a (real) worry.

muggsy
03-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Interesting. As to the claim that in a few years everybody will have a 3D printer in there home is bilge rott hoqwash. Google 3D printers and check out the price for the printer and then the medium used to make the prints. Kinda like the idiots who claimed one day there would be an airplane in every garage.

Same lack of forethought. Maybe a few wealthy folks will have them but mainstream households nope.

Yeah, I can remember this crazy guy named Ford who thought that he could build a car that even the common man could afford. What a lunatic. :rolleyes:

Longitude Zero
03-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I can remember this crazy guy named Ford who thought that he could build a car that even the common man could afford. What a lunatic. :rolleyes:

Hijacked agin. And we still don't have airplanes in every garage yet. Some ideas turn out and the vast majority do not. Simple factual statement.

deadeye
03-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Yeah muggsy. Good example. Are you old enough to remember yesteryear's science fiction and how we laughed at it? A lot of it isn't so funny anymore. But then, I'm brain dead.

Longitude Zero
03-28-2013, 07:42 AM
If you build up a gun, even a .22 using this process, please do not ask me to hang out for the test fire.
I'll stay home and watch it (blow up) on U-tube...

If you build a firearm from this plastic resin, what you have is a model at best and a toy for sure. The world is a long ways off from this being a (real) worry.

Yuppa. I will be right there with ya and I'll bring the beer. There are certain parts of a weapon than can be made that way. The barrel and springs are two that cannot. Simple material science really.

knkali
03-28-2013, 08:38 AM
I dont think the goal is a complete gun but the part that is serialized and regulated.

getsome
03-28-2013, 08:56 AM
That is a cool video and very thought provoking...At my age I've stopped trying to second guess technology and how fast it moves...I watched on the Discovery channel the other night a show about airplanes (still thought they would replace cars in the garage by now but I digress) the show mentioned the Wright brothers and how they figured out control surfaces for rudders and flaps by riding their bicycles as fast as they could to see how the wind would move a model they had on the handlebars...(no such thing as a wind tunnel) and now 100 years later we have the F-22 and F-35 and have set foot on the moon....

I remember in the late 70's paying over $100.00 for a Casio digital display watch that everyone marveled at... I had to buy a Texas Instruments TI-30 calculator for electronics school and paid over a $100.00 for it and now a much better one is less than 5 bucks...I played my tunes on an 8-track in dash unit in my 72 Chevelle and thought what could possibly be better...Later in the 80's we had one of the first car cell phones, the thing weighed about 10 pounds and the battery was the size of a brick but it was the latest, greatest toy in the world to me....The first CD I heard was mind blowing, I knew technology had run me over at that point...

These days I just can't believe the technology thats just everyday stuff...I just don't understand how satellite TV and Wi-Fi works but it's fantastic...Never say never about what man can dream up and build....

knkali
03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
That is a cool video and very thought provoking...At my age I've stopped trying to second guess technology and how fast it moves...I watched on the Discovery channel the other night a show about airplanes (still thought they would replace cars in the garage by now but I digress) the show mentioned the Wright brothers and how they figured out control surfaces for rudders and flaps by riding their bicycles as fast as they could to see how the wind would move a model they had on the handlebars...(no such thing as a wind tunnel) and now 100 years later we have the F-22 and F-35 and have set foot on the moon....

I remember in the late 70's paying over $100.00 for a Casio digital display watch that everyone marveled at... I had to buy a Texas Instruments TI-30 calculator for electronics school and paid over a $100.00 for it and now a much better one is less than 5 bucks...I played my tunes on an 8-track in dash unit in my 72 Chevelle and thought what could possibly be better...Later in the 80's we had one of the first car cell phones, the thing weighed about 10 pounds and the battery was the size of a brick but it was the latest, greatest toy in the world to me....The first CD I heard was mind blowing, I knew technology had run me over at that point...

These days I just can't believe the technology thats just everyday stuff...I just don't understand how satellite TV and Wi-Fi works but it's fantastic...Never say never about what man can dream up and build....

Thanks for that trip down memory lane.
Funny how most of those innovations were from American technology/RandD although sold to other companies for production.

Bawanna
03-28-2013, 10:10 AM
I couldn't guess how many miles of 8 track tape was sorted and respooled in my 66 Mustang. Those 8 track tapes took up a lot of space too.

Definitely a trip down memory lane and things weren't all that bad back in the good ole days.

I don't miss changing points and plugs every 6 or 8 thousand miles, I know that. Don't even think about them anymore.

Longitude Zero
03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Funny how most of those innovations were from American technology/RandD although sold to other companies for production.

Very true. The trend started when Ampex was sold to a Japanese firm. I am old enough to remember when Made in (China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan) meant low quality junk.

RevRay
03-30-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't think the goal is a complete gun but the part that is serialized and regulated.

In the end, they'll just require every part to be serialized and regulated. It's not the nut cases and criminals they want to regulate anyway. If that was they would have done that a long time ago. This advances an interesting discussion, but it won't stop liberals from trying every trick they can think of to build a fence around law-abiding citizens.

knkali
03-30-2013, 12:29 PM
In the end, they'll just require every part to be serialized and regulated. It's not the nut cases and criminals they want to regulate anyway. If that was they would have done that a long time ago. This advances an interesting discussion, but it won't stop liberals from trying every trick they can think of to build a fence around law-abiding citizens.

yep