PDA

View Full Version : just a quick thank-you...

b4uqzme
04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
...from a pistol newbie. Thanks gentlemen for your sage advice on this forum. With your help I stumbled upon a great old MK9 that has become my all-time favorite handgun. Today I added a K40 and am just setting down to clean and go through it for our first range session. Since it's a Kahr, I am confident I can bring it back to "new" condition -- just as I did with the 9. I have to replace the night sights. Any tips on removing the old ones???

Thanks again, I am a convert! :D

RevRay
04-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Welcome. This is a good forum. Where did you find the MK9 ... and how old is old? I ask because I'm thinking my 2nd Kahr might an MK9, so I'm always interested in details.

Bawanna
04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Welcome b4uqzme. Those sights can sometime be a real bugger and sometimes you get lucky. I've done only a few and I'd consider sending it in. If you really want to give a go yourself and who can blame you for that I'd start with a good padded rock solid vise.

A relatively small hammer and resist the urge to get a bigger one. Tape around the sight to give you a little protection from boo boos.

I shaped an old screw driver to fit flat and well. A brass punch often times isn't gonna get it moving.

Just as important to make the new ones start properly. Should go about half way pretty easy. I just did a Kimber yesterday and had to run it on a file a lot to get it to fit and probably should have done more.

Go slow, be patient and theres lots of smart guys here that let me hang out with them. Let us know how it goes.

b4uqzme
04-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I found both at local gun shops. The big stores don't seem to have anything stainless. The mk9 was built in 2003 based on a serial number search. The k40 is from 1998. Both were filthy but in otherwise good condition. Clean bores. I wanted to install wood grips so I stayed away from GA serial numbered mk9s. I thank this forum for that advice. Since I learned to keep my thumb away from the slide lever, the mk9 runs perfect. There is something to be said for letting someone else endure the break in period.

Go for it and good luck. The search is half the fun.

b4uqzme
04-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Bawanna. Thanks for the advice... The best of which is to send it in. But I've never been too smart so wish me luck. I kissed the dog and patted the wife so karma should be in my corner.

LorenzoB
04-02-2013, 10:10 PM
...I kissed the dog and patted the wife so karma should be in my corner.

Good one! LOL!

wyntrout
04-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Off from left to right and from right to left to put them on. I used a Sight Pusher to get my P40 sights off and then used the XS-included plastic punch. Use a brass punch and a well-padded vise. I used cardboard for protection... not the corrugated multilayer stuff... more like cartridge box or thicker... partitions in wine cases.

In videos on YouTube, guys advised standing on one side of the vise and punch/hammering towards you... more controllable.

Wynn:)

b4uqzme
04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks Wynn. I'm surprised that direction is important. The dovetails appear to be radiused -- tighter in the center not left or right. But I will heed your advice. Just to be clear. Left to right oriented as you look down the sights from grip to muzzle?

b4uqzme
04-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Almost forgot Wynn. What brand sight pusher? Might be a quality investment. Thanks.

Flincher
04-03-2013, 05:49 AM
Welcome from North Dakota

wyntrout
04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Yes, as you look down the sights... left and right.

I got my Sight Pusher from the Glockstore, but it took 3 weeks or so. I would go with sightpusher.com. I got the regular Glock model, and I took the bottom bar out for the Kahr P40. You have to build up the correct height with something to align the pusher with base of the sights. I used a 1/2'' drive 3/4"ratchet, 3/4" Crescent wrench, and boxed end wrench for the pusher. The 3/8" drive isn't enough and you need to immobilize the pusher in a padded vise, or as I did on non-skid shelf liner on the kitchen table:eek: on on the carpeted floor. Make sure you get the lower edge of the straight part of the pusher properly aligned and check constantly that it's moving at the correct depth. The front sight started moving slowly, but there was a definite click as the rear sight broke loose and started to move. I used the folded cardboard to build up the slide height enough to align the pusher and the base of the sights. The whole process would have gone faster, if I had immobilized the bottom of the pusher in a padded vise... a well-anchored one!

I just used my small hobby vise for tapping the front sight into place out in the garage. I do have larger vises but not set all the time. I was installing XS Big Dots and the rear just slips into place... very loose, but has set screws and thread locker included.

http://www.sightpusher.com/

It's not for everyone, but I've installed two sets of sights, so far, and that has paid for the Sight pusher!

There are lots of pictures there at the linked site, but they don't show using something to protect the slide... as I did with cardboard... the wine case separator, non-corrugated kind. You can use wood or whatever to build the proper height for the slide to line up the dovetail with the "pusher" part... not the slanted one. I couldn't even use that slanted one on my Glock... didn't look to be the same angle, so just used the straight side lined up with the base.

The XD Big Dots directions said DO NOT use a pusher for installation! Removal of the old sight is fine for the pusher, though.

Remember... you want to immobilize the slide, but not crush it in the vise!

Wynn:)

b4uqzme
04-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Sounds daunting and I appreciate your help. I'll give it a go. I just hope I'm smart enough to abort if it's too tuff.

Very grateful.

I didn't realize what a great housekeeper my ex was until the divorce --- she kept the house.

CJB
04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks gentlemen

Gentleman?? Hey! I got a reputation to uphold!!!!!

b4uqzme
04-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Of course and I apologize to the gentle ladies I omitted...

muggsy
04-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks Wynn. I'm surprised that direction is important. The dovetails appear to be radiused -- tighter in the center not left or right. But I will heed your advice. Just to be clear. Left to right oriented as you look down the sights from grip to muzzle?

You've got it and it is important. See the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do8sHBDfIGk

b4uqzme
04-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks Muggsy. The Kahr website also includes an instructions/installation link that confirms left to right. I appreciate everyone's assistance. Meanwhile, the new sights aren't in yet... Ugh. Neither are the wood grips...

FYI. I am really liking this K40 the more I shoot it. And I've been shooting the crap out of it since 9mm is so hard to get.