PDA

View Full Version : Less Cleaning

cmichael22
04-04-2013, 07:11 PM
I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere said that Glocks do not require as much cleaning and maintenance as 1911s or guns like Kahrs do because of the different tolerances of them. I was wondering if anybody knew if this was true or not?

RRP
04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Interesting question. I've never considered how long my guns could go without maintenance because, for me, cleaning is part of the fun of every range session.

That said, I've seen videos and read about torture tests where Glocks have been shot 1000s of time w/o cleaning and never missed a beat.

I also know of instances where some 1911s were very finicky with certain ammo, even when clean. But I hesitate to make any generalizations, because there are too many variables.

ParabellumJ
04-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere said that Glocks do not require as much cleaning and maintenance as 1911s or guns like Kahrs do because of the different tolerances of them. I was wondering if anybody knew if this was true or not?

This is true. One of the reasons Glocks are so reliable is because of the loose tolerances. There is more room for the slide to ride on the frame rails, thus debris and fouling do not affect them as much as most guns. This is the same reason an AK is so reliable. You can bury it in sand and it still will go bang. Glocks also like to run with minimal lube, so constant maintenance is not as necessary as on other guns.

True story...the manager of my LGS/range said he had to do a rough round count on their rental guns. The most popular rental they have is a Gen 3 G17. He said in the nearly 3 years they have had it they have rented it out about 1000 times. Since you are required to shoot their ammo through rentals that is a minimum of 50 rounds per rental. Real average is probably closer to 100 rounds per. That is 100,000 rounds. No part has ever been replaced. The slide has never been detail stripped. They clean it every few months. That equates to roughly 8,000 rounds between cleanings. I know of no other pistol that could do this.

OldLincoln
04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
While I'm sure several makes of guns would survive thousands of rounds in a clean range environment, I would never bet my family's life on it. I carry my guns so it is shoot & clean for me.

KKing
04-04-2013, 09:19 PM
I've seen the torture tests, and I'm a fan. I originally bought my CM9 because of it's size but here lately I've been debating selling the CM9 to carry my Gen 3 G19 primarily. We have an LCP I could use for deep concealment, and use the 19 all other times. I always worry about having a big range day and not being able to clean my Kahr before I go out that night. I think I'd have more peace of mind with my 19. But, you know what they say about opinions

eklipto101
04-04-2013, 10:18 PM
The manual say every thousand round :hungry:

yqtszhj
04-04-2013, 11:38 PM
I've seen the torture tests, and I'm a fan. I originally bought my CM9 because of it's size but here lately I've been debating selling the CM9 to carry my Gen 3 G19 primarily. We have an LCP I could use for deep concealment, and use the 19 all other times. I always worry about having a big range day and not being able to clean my Kahr before I go out that night. I think I'd have more peace of mind with my 19. But, you know what they say about opinions

Buy the G19 first, carry it for a while, then carry the cm9 again. You'll sell the LCP. The glock is gonna weigh a lot more and you'll realize how small that cm9 really is.

ripley16
04-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Most modern guns can go a long time without cleaning. I suspect Kahrs would go a long while as well. Most gun owners probably over clean their firearms to be cautious and for protection of the investment. The same reason I hose off my lawnmower.

Todd Bell at http://pistol-training.com has done some interesting and amusing tests. One thing for certain, guns are pretty tough. Even pampered guns.

downtownv
04-05-2013, 03:33 AM
I enjoy the whole cleaning maintenance ritual... but one range trip q 50-100 rds later the chances are that gun ain't getting cleaned until AFTER the next trip out.
I'm that confident in my firearms and not that anal about the "shoot it- clean it" mentality.

muggsy
04-05-2013, 06:01 AM
I wash my hands after going to the bathroom and clean my gun as soon as I return home from the range. That's how I was raised and old habits die hard. I have never raised my gun and had it fail to fire. Take that for what it's worth.

Popeye
04-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Many of todays pistols can go a long way between cleanings. How many rounds who knows? I really do not think about it, as all my pistols stay in carry condition 100% of the time or it doesn't get carried. I will not trust my families life to a dirty pistol know matter who makes it. Much the same as I won't drive my pickup or ride my Harley with dirty oil in it. For me all this torture test chest thumping stuff is a non issue.

KKing
04-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Buy the G19 first, carry it for a while, then carry the cm9 again. You'll sell the LCP. The glock is gonna weigh a lot more and you'll realize how small that cm9 really is.

I own the G19 already, but I never carry it. It's my nightstand gun/range favorite. I'm good with it out to 25 yards or so where the CM9 I can't do much past 12 yards. I know it's me and not the gun, but still makes you think

yqtszhj
04-05-2013, 07:41 AM
I own the G19 already, but I never carry it. It's my nightstand gun/range favorite. I'm good with it out to 25 yards or so where the CM9 I can't do much past 12 yards. I know it's me and not the gun, but still makes you think

I picked up a XDs a few weeks ago and It shoots pretty well out to 25 yards. The sight radius is longer than my CM9 and the trigger is different. Nice thing though the top of slide to bottom of grip is almost the same as my CM9 and the slide width is the same as the CM9 too so it carries pretty good. It still weighs 25 oz. loaded though where the CM9 I think was less than 20. You can tell the difference in that weight. Wear the XDs or my CW45 for a while and then go to the CM9. The CM9 disappears.