PDA

View Full Version : Does the PM9 have any cast or MIM parts?

kahr360
04-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Does the PM9 have any cast or MIM parts?

gb6491
04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
The last one I looked at had a metal magazine latch and that latch had mold marks on it. FWIW: my CW 45's latch has the same mold marks:
http://i39.tinypic.com/20z2q9s.jpg
So, I'm of the opinion that the PM9 does have at least one cast/MIM part.
Regards,
Greg

Cremator75
04-20-2010, 08:31 PM
The picture on their web site looks like it has a plastic mag catch.

http://www.kahr.com/imgs/mdtl_pm9093.jpg

gb6491
04-21-2010, 12:52 AM
The picture on their web site looks like it has a plastic mag catch.

Some do have plastic catches: others all metal.
Welcome to the forums.
Regards,
Greg

Cremator75
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Can a plastic one be changed out to a metal one on the PM9?

jocko
04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Can a plastic one be changed out to a metal one on the PM9?

they can and if your gun was bought in the last couple of years, it probably has the metal catch in it. I wold not panic if it had the polymer catch in it and everythihg is working fine. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. What alot of owners don't know , the plastic catch actually has a steel insert in the catch that engages the magazine opening, so not really any p[lasstic to wear etc. If the polymer catch works, IMO it is as good as the metal catchs. We have read on this forum andothers to where even metal mag catchs are out of spec and have to be replaced. so IMO, if allis OK, leave it alone.

wyntrout
04-22-2010, 09:55 AM
My 3-year-old PM9 has a metal mag release button and my P380, too. A magnet sticks to them.
Wynn:)

jlottmc
04-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Gotta go with jocko on this one. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

kahr360
04-23-2010, 11:54 PM
So no info besides that?:confused:

The mag catch doesn’t need to be that tough. The absolute garbage one made out of model plastic on my $3 airsoft has held up fine.

I’m more concerned about the slide stop and other parts.

jocko
04-24-2010, 06:41 AM
So no info besides that?:confused:

The mag catch doesn’t need to be that tough. The absolute garbage one made out of model plastic on my $3 airsoft has held up fine.

I’m more concerned about the slide stop and other parts.

on that statement. I think we tend to under rate a proper made MIM part. The CW series all of them have their slide stops made out of MIM process and to my knowledge I have never read or heard of one ever breaking either. There are places IMO for MIM parts and then there are not.

The ol style mag catch on hahrs that was used for years was made out of polymer and most were unaware that in that polymer catch was a metal insert modled in the process. This is what actually made contact with the magazine , not the polymer.

The polymer catch and this is just a SWAG to, but could have even been more expensive to make than the MIM catch due to the process of having to have that metal insert put in the polymer catch during the molding process and doing it perfectly. Actually never heard of a polymer catch breaking . either. When one had problem with the polymer catch, it was normally due to improper fitting of the metalinsert. With the MIM process it eliminated that process. Now u either get a perfect mag catch or one that is also alittle out of spec and needs replaced. Personally I would rather hav ethe MIM mag catch over the older style but both worked great...

Best thing to do is just shoot these guns like you stole um and not to worry about scrutinizing them so much either. Mine certainly has thousands of rounds down range and nothing worn out (recoil springs)