PDA

View Full Version : THINGS TO LOOK FOR before buying a new Kahr

Evi1joe
04-10-2013, 10:35 PM
While I DON'T KNOW if any of these things would affect the reliability or longevity, I looked at the gunstore's CW9 that was in the case, and then asked if he'd bring out 3 more in the box for me to choose--I told him I wanted to see if any looked better than the others, but that I was going to buy one if I liked what I saw (they were on sale for $339).

What I didn't expect was how much variety was in this sample of four.

All of the three I didn't choose had MAJOR tooling marks in various places--mine had some VERY minor marks (not scrapes) on the feed-ramp (it's so steep it shouldn't be called a ramp--it's more like a "feed-wall"), but I could only see them in the right light, and after a super slight touch with the dremel and a bit of Flitz, they're gone.

The worst was the feed ramp on one had 6-9 slightly indented scrapes in it; on another, the rear-top face of the barrel (where it closes up against the slide) looked like a giant humanoid-robot had pinched it and left deep fingerprints scraped all across it (the metal at the top was even curved a bit in one corner--almost peened looking). The third had a scratched up feed ramp and some tool marks around the barrel lug area. TWO of the THREE I didn't choose had a bit more space between the slide and the frame (though I could only get one to wiggle any--they're VERY tight guns, that's for sure). Again, loose can be good for reliability, so I'm not judging.
Two were very gooey inside with what looked like brown grease and some dark powder residue, one looked unfired--it was pristine (mine had a little grime, but was the second cleanest).

*** I'm wondering (A) if the gun-sales craze hasn't caused some slipping in quality control, or (B) if my gunstore somehow got a batch of blems for cheap, and put them on sale for $339 (I've seen Kahr's labeled "blem" for sale at BUDSGUNSHOP, so it's not impossible). I don't think anyone who saw the feedramp I saw would have let it out into the world, and perhaps if people payed closer attention there might be fewer guns sent back (or they might at least get a discount for the "blems"). ***

IF I had a decent camera on my old crap phone, I would have taken pics...I think it would have been an interesting thread, getting opinions on who thought what was acceptable or not.

ripley16
04-11-2013, 03:18 AM
That does not describe the eight Kahrs that I've purchased... not even the used ones.

Short Bus
04-11-2013, 03:44 AM
Does your gun have a B in the serial #?

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10457&highlight=blem

jocko
04-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Does your gun have a B in the serial #?

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10457&highlight=blem

be wrong on this but I am pretty sure the B mark is not in the serial number but stamped normally on thge trigger guard. The serial numer I think is no different than any other kahrs..:Amflag2:

ripley16
04-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Even my "blemished" K9 doesn't come near the abused state the OP described. Yes the B is marked on the trigger guard. The above Kahrs sound to me as if they were used.

JoeyG
04-11-2013, 06:32 AM
I'm pretty sure the blemished models only have cosmetic damage. What the OP is describing sounds much worse, even inoperable.

JFootin
04-11-2013, 06:48 AM
This report needs to be seen by everyone at Kahr from Justin on down. Outrageous!

Evi1joe
04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
IF others haven't noticed this and/or don't notice this, then I just got a bad sample--really only two of the guns were UNACCEPTABLE (in my opinion).

I'm sure the store probably has a TON of CW9s--that's why they were on sale for $339. However, I dunno the chances I could get some of the same ones if I asked to see a few for pictures if I went back (I'll take a camera in case they're not busy--I was gonna go do an ammo check anyway...last time all they had was the Liberty 50gr, 2000fps stuff).

JUST CHECKED MY GUN: mine has no "B" anywhere on the outside of the polymer (looked carefully around the trigger guard). Serial#: EH49xx

I've had a P9 and a PM9, and I know a ton of people with CM9s. I've always noticed these guns were exceptionally nice--though very tight; I mean, obviously they're super tight--mine took 200-300 rounds, before I could manually cycle rounds without a super-crazy-hard slinghshot. But I do like that better than on some guns where if you ride the slide, it's not strong enough to close the last 1/10th inch (some Shields were like this--OFF TOPIC: a local Sheriff's officer owes his life to a Sig that didn't fully cycle because the BG did it in the bathroom, quietly riding the slide...the primer had actually been very lightly hit, TWICE! -- both times the gun was pointed directly at his head, the first when they went to rob him, the second time after he threw the briefcase at the guy and tackled him and was on the ground fighting with the guy as officers from both adjacent hotel rooms came swarming in). BACK TO THREAD: And my feedramps have always looked pre-polished with mirror-like shines (even this one is that way--the marks I saw either wiped off or polished off, not that I spent more than 20-25 seconds polishing it). My theory is that a lot of people send them back or complain because they didn't properly clean, lube, grip, etc. the guns (which is why sooo many people reference the "what to do with your new kahr" threads)...most of us here know, with a bit of care and the slightest bit of technical know-how, they're great guns (my PM9 did have a trigger-reset issue that I couldn't fix--and I was able to reproduce it at home thankfully, though at first I thought maybe I just wasn't resetting it--having shot Glocks for the last 20 years).

If I'd known to look for the "B", I would have. I may ask to look at the floor model (which was almost as nice as mine); I'm just glad I asked...if I'd gotten home and seen the scrapes on the rear-top-face of the barrel or the ones on the other gun's feedramps, I would have been pissed. I just want others who are about to go out and get a CW9 (who happen to read this site first--like I did) to do the same!

But now I'm really wondering about the blem possibility. $339 for the CW9, but they wanted $559 for the CM9...I thought $220 seemed too much of a difference (I was actually going to buy the PM9 because I thought it was $339 too--but it was the CW9 and CW40s).