PDA

View Full Version : Happy Man Cave day

Bawanna
04-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Saturday morning I rousted myself out of the sack early knowing that it was gonna be a disagreeable wet miserable day outside. PERFECT day to spend in tranquility in my man cave. Make a near perfect cup of Joe with anticipation of a fine day fondling everything and doing a check on everything in the toy box. WRONG

Wife also roust herself out of the sack early (she always does) with her own plan for my day and bank account or lack there of.
Painting our bedroom. Crap! It's big, she has stuff hanging all over the walls, she is good at many things but painting is not one of them. Acoustic ceiling tough to paint.
Anyhow I took control and made it happen properly. Enough about the bad stuff.

So Sunday we try again. Pretty much success. Did have to break away for a few finish details putting stuff back and mowing the grass after the ground was covered with hail the day before.

Still 6 or 7 hours of Eastwood Dollar movies, and gun fondling bliss. Only got through half the toy box and none of the loose ones but no neglect noted, no rust, all bores good, just felt great holding stuff it's been awhile since I held.

Hope we have another disagreeable day or two before full summer, here in Wa, I might have already missed it. Hopefully with no wife visions of painting anything.

So how was your weekend?

muggsy
04-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Geez, Bawanna. You do a lot more from your chair than I do from mine. I even taught my dog how to fetch me another beer. He still has trouble with the pop tops. :)

eireguy
04-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Spent all day tilling & putting in bean poles & tomato plant stakes getting the garden ready for planting.took awhile but in the end its always worth it

O'Dell
04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Geez, Bawanna. You do a lot more from your chair than I do from mine. I even taught my dog how to fetch me another beer. He still has trouble with the pop tops. :)

He does a lot more than me, and I don't have a chair.

mr surveyor
04-15-2013, 03:10 PM
uuuhhhh.... income tax

jeepster09
04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Ah I can post using my CHROME....

Tinman507
04-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Got up Saturday morning knowing it was too wet to begin the mowing season. So I figured I'd get all the various machines ready to go for said mowing season. After a few dutiful hours I would sneak away to do some high velocity lead therapy. WRONG!!

First the tractor had two flat tires. Had to pull the truck down close to the shed to run the air compressor to fill tires. Next battery on tractor was too weak to start the engine. Fortunately truck was close by so jumping it was easy. Pulled tractor up to garage and pulled the mower deck off smashing pinkie finger and raising a monster blood blister. Changed out the blades and reinstalled the mower deck.

Got the leaf blower out and it wouldn't start, so I stripped it down and pulled the carb apart to clean it. No joy. By this time it's time to get showered and dressed for Sat. evening mass. Nice dinner with the bride and a long list for the next day.

Sunday comes and the leaf blower is bothering me. I strip it all down again and found a glob of grassy gunk in the filter screen. Reassemble and she fires right up. Success!!

Bride does the main mowing on tractor, I grab the push mower for the detail work. Pull to start and no joy....Dammit.

Pull the push mower up to the garage and pull the carb apart. Gum city. Strip and clean and get it running. Finish all the detail mowing. Grab string trimmer. It's only 2 years old. 3 pulls and it's running. Finish all the fine trimming in time for cocktails on the deck.

Sacrificed a steak on the grill and settled in for a quiet evening killing off a nice red wine.

All the trials of this weekend earned me enough "man/husband" points for about 6 months. Not horrible, all things considered. Never did get to go shooting.

Sore as hell this morning. Used muscles that lay dormant all winter.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

mr surveyor
04-15-2013, 05:05 PM
me and internal combustion engine powered lawn equipment just never get along.... especially mowers. I hate them, and they hate me. If mrs surv would let me, I'd cover the whole half acre+ around the house with pea gravel and paint it green.

mr surveyor
04-15-2013, 05:06 PM
oh... I forgot.... I don't like painting either

Tinman507
04-15-2013, 05:07 PM
I like the way you think. Pea gravel and green paint....hmmmm.

Or get a herd of goats and let them have at it. Goat's milk cheese too!

Bawanna
04-15-2013, 05:16 PM
My dad always threatened to pave the yard and paint it green. I loved yard and garden work though, he whined a lot but he hated vacations or anytime he wasn't there to take care of the yard. One weed and he'd tear it all up and start over.

Me, if it wasn't for moss it probably wouldn't be green.

I hate painting too very much and it hates me too.

tv_racin_fan
04-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Ah...

Well see towards the end of mowing season last season my push mower of a few year years age decided it did not want to run. Not being a real decent mechanic I messed about and messed about but the dern thing would crank but not run, changed gas still crank but not run. Ok so I went to town a bit earlier this year and bought a new push mower.

Well I gues the spark plug on the new mower went bad. Because when I got out and tried to give a decent first mow it died and would not restart. Changed gas and still no start. Wife suggested it was the plug... so one trip to town I stopped at a DIY place and ran in and got a plug and a gate latch that broke during a storm. Got a new gas can as well and changed gas and plug and voila new mower now runs. Oh and I forgot to mention that when the new mower wouldn't run I decided to change gas in the old mower and try it again.. of course it crunk up and ran like a champ. Aint figured out how I am gonna push two mowers yet but I did look at some riding mowers...

Oh and wife woke up late in the day whatever day it was I mowed think it was wednesday and came out and looked and said you mowed ALL that today? So I got some good hubby points, then she went to the grocer on her way home, uumm Saturday I think it was, and got herself some flowers and I got the good hubby points for them as well.

Bawanna
04-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Your a rock star with all them hubby points.

I usually get that "that's all ya got done". I'm slow but consistent.

Alfonse
04-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Lots of yard work. Trimming, pruning, ugh. Still did not get the orchard mowed. Trip to Costco, ferried kids about and changed 20 batteries in smoke detectors, some quite a ways up. It is annoying when they beep.

Did get to play with the CZs though. Worked in the triggers a bit more. Even got a blister.

yqtszhj
04-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Saturday: Yard work. Mowed back yard, sprayed Roundup (that's how I trim)
Sunday: Got up too early and took oldest son to the airport. Came home, ate, fell asleep, woke up and watched movies till night

Side note, I hate painting. I feel for you.

JFootin
04-15-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't have a house any more. When I did, I shopped for mowers and decided on a Toro Personal Pace mower with electric start, a 2 year warranty with guarantee to start on not more than 2 strokes - extended for another year as a special deal. Price wasn't bad either. A superb, effortless mowing machine!

muggsy
04-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't have a house any more. When I did, I shopped for mowers and decided on a Toro Personal Pace mower with electric start, a 2 year warranty with guarantee to start on not more than 2 strokes - extended for another year as a special deal. Price wasn't bad either. A superb, effortless mowing machine!

If I can't sit on it I ain't mowin'. Nuthin runs like a Deere.

Alfonse
04-15-2013, 09:00 PM

That Toro Time Master looks like the ticket for a lawn the size we have. I think it would cut mowing time in half. But, we have a Honda my wife bought nearly 25 years ago. Can't seem to kill it. I change the oil once a year and sharpen the blade. Starts in one or two pulls and I've only changed the plug once in 18 years. That was just because I thought I should.

I have an old 1983 Kubota tractor mower for the orchard. It is the newest tractor we have. Last year a drive shaft coupler broke. I had to make a new shaft. But, it still plugs away. We also have some old International Cub Cadets and a Ford 8n for various jobs.

The 8n runs a brush hog on some acreage and plows snow mainly. I don't have much modern technology when it comes to garden equipment.

muggsy
04-17-2013, 07:11 AM
All of these mower problems. I guess that's why Jocko is into goats among other reasons. :)

Tinman507
04-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Mostly because it relaxes him.

Salty
04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
It was also a weekend of small gauge chores. Long cold winters, poorly made batteries and crappy gas makes every spring the same here. Charge or replace tractor mower and ATV battery, clean hand mower carb, drain snowblower gas out and air up a bunch of tires. Now if I can just figure out how to pull the hand mower and chain saw rope starts hard enough I will be in good shape. On a brite note I don't have enough muscles to get sore.

Bawanna
04-17-2013, 10:01 AM
I've often felt that is how Poulan came up with their name. You pull and pull and pull.

I've never owned any of that stuff but know some who have. Good for one season me thinks.

GROTMAN
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
I know the weekend is long past but couldn't post the other day. I actually had a pretty good weekend. Saturday slept in a little and then watched a Western. Went to the Y and had a good workout and then a run under a beautiful Carolina blue sky. Temps were in the mid to high 70's with no humidity. After working out went home and washed my jeep. After cleaning up took my wife and dtr to a local pub for one of those burgers your dr warns you about. All in all a pretty full and good day.
Sunday kind of rested ..then watched the Masters while I did my taxes. Thank God for turbotax. As for I yard work I try to fit it in during the week after work as much as possible so I'm free to go play on the weekends.

Kong
04-17-2013, 06:31 PM
I had to work all weekend, 12hrs Fri, 12hrs Sat, and 16 hrs Sun. I did get a bit of riding time in between work so that evened things out a bit. Oh yea and I did pick up a new tagua holster for the cw45. The Galco I ordered 2 weeks ago is on back-order

Armybrat
04-17-2013, 07:01 PM
I watched some college spring football games & a couple taped season ones from last fall in my mancave:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/2011football017.jpg