PDA

View Full Version : Shorten recoil spring on P9

RedRyder
04-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Ok. I need opinions of those much smarter than me here. Got a friend who talked to a local gunsmith who said "of course we can shorten the spring in that P9 and make it easier to rack the slide." That's the one thing about my Kahr that I don't like it the super strength of the spring. This guy says he can shorten it and not affect the reliability but I'm not convinced. Ok guru's 0 sign on with the wise info please.

Thanks

Bawanna
04-15-2013, 05:25 PM
It's not much of a gamble and at worst you just have to order a new recoil spring.

How new is this gun, how many rounds fired?

It will get better if it's still new. If you decide to try it I'd just order a new spring from Wolffs to have on hand. Then just cut half a coil at a time.

If your someplace where you can disassemble and shoot at the same place it would be easy. I'd be concerned about the reliability part, a half or one coil probably ok, much more and it gets risky.

If the guns new I'd give it more time.

ripley16
04-15-2013, 05:26 PM
IMHO, you rack the slide once, but will feel the increased recoil all 7 or 8 rounds. I'd leave the spring alone. It dampens recoil and insures good slide lock-up and shortenibg the spring may lessen reliability.

jocko
04-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Ok. I need opinions of those much smarter than me here. Got a friend who talked to a local gunsmith who said "of course we can shorten the spring in that P9 and make it easier to rack the slide." That's the one thing about my Kahr that I don't like it the super strength of the spring. This guy says he can shorten it and not affect the reliability but I'm not convinced. Ok guru's 0 sign on with the wise info please.

Thanks

what bawannasaid is about right. u cancut a 1/2 coil off with no harm no foul, u might be ableto do more but when it gets easier, then things can hapepn to. Wear and tear on the gun over all might be a facotr, if u shoot alot. If ur not a shooter but more of a carrier, than u probalby can shorten it a tad more,but again nutin beats shooting the gun to get the recoil spring sto take their designed set. 2 to 300 rounds seemsto lighten up the factory springs very nicely. Kahrs are stout, by desig, live with it, adapt to it and u will be OK ripley is also correct IMO) about lockup etc. U can use the same recil springs that the K9 uses in that P9 and u can buy them from wolffs gunsiprings in about 3 different poundages even. If I am not mistaken then even make a lighter recoil spring than factory, which u might try without cutting ur facotry spring any.

kahr factory recoil spirng is 20#wolffs makes a reduced power of 18#,that I am gonna assume they tesdtedit out and feel it is OK to use in the K9 and that spring will drop rightin ur P9, so buy a couple 18# springs from wolffs and give um a try, beats cuttng a coil ad not really knowing wha tu have either.

b4uqzme
04-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Red ryder. All good info so far. The two downsides of shortening the recoil spring are: increased felt recoil, opportunity that the slide may not return to battery.

A little at a time might not cause any issues. However, if you trim enough that the slide is noticeably easier to rack, that might be enough to cause problems.

My two cents = try the 18 lb. Wolff spring first.

Good luck.

Short Bus
04-17-2013, 07:20 PM
If you trim a spring or get a reduced power spring, I would forget about +P ammo.

jpshaw
04-23-2013, 05:31 AM
I would just buy the reduced one from Wolff. The original is going to loosen up some with wear anyway. BTW the P9 is my carry favorite too.

muggsy
04-23-2013, 05:47 AM
These posts get muggsy's seal of approval. I can't argue with any of them. A lot of good advice. For my money I'd by the reduced power spring. It never hurts to have a spare.

yqtszhj
04-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Let us know how it works out.

DavyNW
11-01-2015, 11:29 AM
I too really like my P9, have had it for eons it seems, but the slide is very stiff to operate, most people have trouble with the slide. Cutting or Shortening the spring a ring or two will ease this. ?

b4uqzme
11-01-2015, 04:00 PM
You found a good thread for your question. My best answer: it could help but go slow...half coil at a time and see if it makes a difference. There is a reliability trade-off that increases the more you cut. So take it easy. I'd recommend having a spare in hand before I try anything. Or just get the reduced power spring from Wolff since you are likely to get another anyways.

jocko
11-02-2015, 09:34 AM
IMO, leave the fokker alone, more rounds will soften it up some, bit it is what it is. I would think if u shorten the spring or go reduced power u should maybe think about leaving +P ammo alone. Cpourse most don't shoot alot of +P for range fodder so again that is an opinion, nuttin else..Just sayin

Omahaoutdoors
11-02-2015, 04:42 PM
I'm all for testing out modifications, so by all means cut it down; if done right it shouldn't impact performance too much. Definitely take the advice to have a spare recoil spring on hand though. As others have pointed out, is it really worth the increased recoil for an easier slide rack? If so, at least test both ways and find what works for you after you modify.

marshal kane
11-03-2015, 06:58 AM
I wouldn't cut coils on a new or seldom used spring. I prefer to let the spring take it's set first, then do the cutting. What's already been said is true, a few coils maybe is fine but there is a point where reliability and excessive wear becomes an issue. Do have a spare recoil spring on hand as insurance before you start cutting just so you won't have the pistol down if you end up needing a recoil spring replacement.

I have no issues with the stiffness when racking the slide. I do find it sometimes irritating when reassembling the slide and the spring wants to wander off. That little spring is strong!