PDA

View Full Version : Got my cw45!

Grizwold
04-20-2013, 09:13 PM
finally got my cw45 and concealed carry permit same day (last Saturday). Have only had time to put 50 rounds through it so far--had 2 jams (FTL) and one fail to eject. I do not believe that these were the fault of the gun, but rather improper grip, as all came in one magazine load and early on. (This is the first pistol I have fired for about 40 years + so I expect a bit of a learning curve.) One person suggested that a 45 was too much for a first gun, but my thought was that with a 200 round break-in, we will both be up to speed by then, or at least the gun will and I will be on my way.

JFootin
04-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Welcome to the forum, Grizwold! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) (the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 8th stickies especially) sections of the forum. Proper lubrication, even a little wet, is good when breaking in these tight Kahrs. The slingshot modification one is a good one that improves on the design of the magazine follower for improved feeding. The detail strip one is good because you will want to do like a lot of us and install the Wolff's 5 lb striker spring (http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29#188) to make the trigger even better. And, no, it won't cause misfires.

You're right. It takes some time and rounds fired to meld gun and shooter. After a few hundred rounds, you'll think it is a different gun! And you got a really pleasant, mild shooting 45 even though it is so light weight, so you're good to go.

The best holster I have found for forget-it-is-there 24/7 comfort with my CM9 is the PJ IWB Holster (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). There are so, so many members here that will concur. Paul is a great guy and a real gun lover, and he performs magic with kydex - making the holster incredibly comfortable to where you can't tell it is there whether sitting, standing or moving about. It is like the mass of the gun disappears, becoming one with your body. I carry mine with a 15° cant just behind my hip - the sweet spot. I prefer the one linked above with the over the belt clip. I normally wear the above under a loose shirt.

yqtszhj
04-21-2013, 06:00 PM
finally got my cw45 and concealed carry permit same day (last Saturday). Have only had time to put 50 rounds through it so far--had 2 jams (FTL) and one fail to eject. I do not believe that these were the fault of the gun, but rather improper grip, as all came in one magazine load and early on. (This is the first pistol I have fired for about 40 years + so I expect a bit of a learning curve.) One person suggested that a 45 was too much for a first gun, but my thought was that with a 200 round break-in, we will both be up to speed by then, or at least the gun will and I will be on my way.

I agree with you said. Welcome to the forum.

After the first 100 rounds and a good cleaning, it should run smooth after that and you'll be used to it. Make sure to follow the clean and prep sticky's and it should assure a good time with your new gun.

JohnR
04-21-2013, 06:46 PM
I don't want to rock the boat, but a 1911 is a pleasant and soft shooting .45. An M&P 45 is a soft shooting pleasure. A Glock 21 is a pleasant soft shooting gun. My Bersa Thunder 45UC is pleasantly soft shooting. So's my Ruger P345. My CW45 is a bucking bronco. Not wholly unpleasant, but not in the league of the bigger, heavier 45s mentioned above.

Just thought a little perspective would be useful to readers. :)

HappyCamper
04-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Welcome Griswold. It was my CW45 that brought me here, too. Great bunch on these forums and lots of info.
"One person suggested that a 45 was too much for a first gun"
Hate to admit it, the first time I shot mine I hung on for dear life. I'm somewhat slight in the upper body but am quite comfortable with mine.
AND congratulations on your concealed carry!

Grizwold
04-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes, I expect that the heavier guns would be less abrupt, but the cw45 was, I think, quite controllable--even for me as a tyro. 'Course, I have nothing to compare that to, still, shooting into a target at about 25 feet, my shots were all inside an 8 inch circle. (I know--nothing to brag about. Remember this was the first shooting in about 40 years--I'll get better.) Going to the range tomorrow to get some more practice.

Thanks to all for an amazing source of information and advice.
Griz

tigwelder56
04-22-2013, 11:01 PM
I purchased a new PM 45 this weekend at a local gunshow. I had been offered a used PM 45 from a buddy but he kept dragging his feet and I wanted a sub compact (micro) .45. I had waited long enough! Anyhow, I had given serious consideration to a Springfield Armory XDS .45 as well. I'm very glad I didn't go that direction. After much research I determined that the XDS had a questionable past and that was enough for me to change my mind. The problem that really soured me was the continuing problem of it falling out of battery. If any pressure was place on the face of the slide, enough to push the slide back as little as 1/8th of an inch. This could result from sitting down with it in a pocket or in an IWB! Most semi auto's will return to battery from guide rod spring force if this happens but the majority of time this isn't the case with the XDS! That scared the holy owl poo out of me. It was an overall nice pistol, accurate, nice features, blah, blah, blah, but there was no fix for this battery problem and Springfield wasn't very forthcoming when it came to addressing the problem!! So you know my choice and a great one it was!

I took the new PM 45 out today and put 100 230gr FMJ RN WWB rounds through it, slow fire, rapid fire, tight grip, loose grip, and had absolutely zero failures with it! I was expecting to have something go wrong, just because I was told that it was common in the PM 45 when new out of the box. I can't be happier right now! Another nice determination I was able to make was that it's incredibly accurate, scary accurate for a brand new 3 inch barreled uber compact gun!!! I've got the "Dot the I" sights and would like to get the night sights someday but right now these will work just fine.

I also want to add to this that I also own a Colt Govt. Model Series 70 1911. Have had it since 1978 and it's an incredible handgun, very reliable, accurate and very easy with recoil. I was expecting the PM 45 to be fairly rough on my wrist and figured that wanting to compare it the recoil of my "Big Boy 1911" was going to be laughable. Well let me tell you all that I was dumb founded after firing the Kahr off with full power loads and didn't find the recoil to be difficult to handle at all!! It was completely manageable and I was smiling all the way home!! Lastly, before I left the range for the day I ran a couple of magazines of 185gr Barnes X SCHP through it to determine if it would be as reliable as it was with the FMJ RN. It was, not a single hiccup!!

I'm thrilled ladies and gents! I couldn't be happier with my new purchase and look forward to many years of excellent, trouble free service from this super reliable big bore sweetheart!! :cool:

otium
04-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Can't always believe all the things you read on the internet...

My xds works great. My cw45 works great, too.

You would think in what has been posted about both models might indicate they are nearly worthless due to all the problems you read about.

Do think that the few bad examples get more "air time" than the quick reports of "all is good" do. That seems to be human nature.

I feel if you are an early adopter of a newly released firearm, that increases your odds of getting one that is less than perfect. Any more it seems early adopters are some kind of final beta testers and that's not just in the firearms arena.

If you can hold out a year, (or at least six months), before you buy one, that can go a long way to lower the odds of getting one with the bugs worked out.

Like all things mechanical, especially "cheaper" mass produced things, there are occasional examples that slip through that don't quite work right. How hard the company's customer service works with the person to get the product right to me is the sign of a quality company.

Longitude Zero
04-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Welcome Grizwold. I have a couple thousand rounds thru my CW45. It is my primary CCW.

tigwelder56
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
@Otium... Yes, you're absolutely right on the money regarding not believing everything you read on the Internet! I've got nothing but respect for the majority of Springfield Armory's contributions to the firearm world. There are issues that can be discovered for darn near anything and everything made by man or machine, that can't be disputed. I made the remark about the XDS as a prelude to my PM 45 purchase. I was very thankful I had discovered the current problem with the XDS before buying it. (I had seen the battery failure personally or wouldn't have mentioned it) I'm thrilled :D that you like yours and thankfully haven't had to deal with that issue. Like you, I felt that another generation or two of manufacturing experience would certainly make that issue go away. I'm sure it will, but I'll wait until those experiences cease to be a source of disagreement before putting out the $$$ for a concealed carry pistol that I hope will serve me as yours has you. Afterall, isn't complete reliability what you strive for in a concealed carry weapon? Of course it is. I hope you continue to have the top notch service you have so far received from your XDS!! Thank you for your reply!

Bawanna
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
My son has an XDS that kind of appealed to me. I have yet to shoot it but will one of these days.

I for a brief time considered getting one for myself comparing it to my PM45.

It was just a brief short period thank goodness. My PM45 isn't going anyplace. It's a perfect match up for me, runs well backing up the CBob on my hip.

I do like the XDS, has a lot going for it but no replacement for my PM45. We rode a lot of miles together and no need to fix what ain't broken.

Course nothing is to say I might not get an XDS just cause but not high on my must have list.

Longitude Zero
04-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Course nothing is to say I might not get an XDS just cause but not high on my must have list.

Same for me. It would place maybe in the bottom of the top 10 next firearms I will buy. There are several SIGs that are in the top spots.

JFootin
04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
I am waiting on the CM45.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Kahr-CM45-review.jpg

Bawanna
04-23-2013, 01:55 PM
This one gonna get the mirror polish job too?

JFootin
04-23-2013, 04:39 PM
I dunno. A lot of work. I got my CM9 already polished. I think maybe I'd get it Ceracoated black like a DLC PM45.

otium
04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Might have to take a look at the CM45 when it eventually shows up around here. I picked up the CW45 and later the xds before the CM45 was ever mentioned.

Need the wallet to recover some from the soon to be picked up M&P9c before anything else is considered right now.

So many toys to choose from today... if you can find them... at pre-panic prices.

ClickClick
04-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Hello,

The CM45's release date has been pushed back to Fall.

If you have any dealers local to you that can take an order for one, I would suggest looking into doing that.

Thanks!

v/r

Nathan Arsenault
Asst. WebShop Coordinator
Kahr Arms/Auto Ordnance/MR
130 Goddard Memorial Drive
Worcester, MA 01603
Fax: 508-795-7046