PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr/gun owner

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Hello all. I am new to the gun owner world. My husband is a cop/gun owner and has finally gotten me to a place where I am comfortable owning a gun and working towards my conceal/carry license. We looked at quite a few guns and I ended up with a Kahr CM9. I haven't taken it out to the range yet, but I have taken it apart a few times and I have cleaned it. We are going this Sunday out to the range so I can get a handle on it. Looking forward to learning more about this gun and meeting new friends :)

-mamaleader

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Welcome to our little oasis from a fellow Pacific Northwesterner. We're far outnumbered by the members on the east coast, mid west an have a ton of members in Florida and Texas.

What part of the wet and mossy NW you reside in?

If it's one of them you can tell but then you gotta kill me things, I really don't need to know, ya know.

I hang out everyday in the PD in Monroe.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 05:05 PM
We are currently just outside of Portland in Beaverton.

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Little south of us. We got a few members in that neck of the woods too. I have some friends near Lake Oswego? Never been to their place but we meet up couple times a year fishing in Eastern Washington.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Ahhh. You are farther north than I usually get. I have family in Chehalis, where I grew up.

skiflydive
04-25-2013, 05:13 PM
You are going to love that CM9! Remember to grip it really well and hide the bullseye behind the front sight and you'll have a lot of fun with it.
Welcome to the club!

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Well now your getting closer to the neighborhood. I occasionally get as far south as Puyallup but not too often and rarely venture much further south.

If I go anywhere it's usually East.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 05:18 PM
I have family east as well, over in Pasco. Love it over there. Not quite as wet.

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Now there's some genuine Pacific Northwest talk right there. Not quite as wet.

We had some good sun yesterday and today, the moss between my fingers and toes is already starting to slip into remission but that of course could change in the next 15 minutes.

Where the heck is Jfootin with your club badge, he's really slacking today.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Ooooh... I get a club badge. Nifty.

I have family in Nashville that always ask how much rain we've gotten today. The standard answer is usually "There's still moss between my toes."

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Oh yeah, club badge for sure. I don't know where the heck every one is today.
Wyn should be along with his page, Jfooting with the club badge and holster recommendations, it goes on and on.
After 30 post you get a cyber bride proposal from yours truly and after 100 you get a Jocko decoder ring. Although those are on backorder due to an extremely high demand.

I'm told the government is trying to acquire some as they think it's a key to foreign codes. I got nothing to back that up with, I'm sure it's all perfectly innocent and a misunderstanding.

We got people, kahr talk people (not bawanna people, well actually I guess kahrtalk people are bawanna people, we're like family here) in Nashville too. A few actually. Hopefully some of them will come along and chat with ya so you won't be stuck chatting with me. Although being the handsomest and with the glibbest silver tongue (a curse really) not much competition here.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Haha. Well at least there are certainly things for me to look forward to. I can't say that I have ever even heard of a cyber bride proposal. Interesting.

Man, my kids are keeping me running today. I still haven't managed to finish the cup of coffee I started this morning.

RevRay
04-25-2013, 06:40 PM
I suppose, being a reverend, you could call on me if you ever get to the cyber-bride part ... though she is married, and I'm not partial to breaking up or adding to an already existing arrangement.

Anyway, welcome to Kahrland. BTW, does your husband have a Kahr as well, or is something new for the both of you?

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Thank you, RevRay. This is new to both of us, although he wants one someday. He plans on qualifying with mine for work so that he can use it and see how he likes it. I personally an looking forward to him using my holster when he goes to qualify. I may have bought a hot pink one simply because I knew he would have to use it.

7shot
04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Congrats on your new CM9 and welcome aboard. Kahrs are great accurate little pistols, practice as often as your pocketbook will allow.

RRP
04-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I personally an looking forward to him using my holster when he goes to qualify. I may have bought a hot pink one simply because I knew he would have to use it.

Ohhhhh, yeah. I like you already.

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Haha. Well at least there are certainly things for me to look forward to. I can't say that I have ever even heard of a cyber bride proposal. Interesting.

Man, my kids are keeping me running today. I still haven't managed to finish the cup of coffee I started this morning.

Pay no mind to the reverend there, he's moving into my territory. I actually have 10 or 11 cyber brides here, but I love them all equally.

Many of them have been ignoring us of late, perhaps a subliminal message or perhaps busy with the shooting games.

I know Melissa's big into competition these days, TD2K is training a lot of folks, Airret still visits regular, I'm gonna have to make a list, I sometimes have a hard time remembering them.

Zena and MX5fan were 1 and 2 but that was years ago and they have forgotten me by now. I still miss them.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 07:24 PM
RRP- He wouldn't let me get a pink gun because he knew he would want to qualify with it. I had to get the pink holster. I used his paypal to order it, so it came in his name. He was so excited to get a package. He ripped it open and his jaw fell to the floor. I wish I had taken a picture :)

Bawanna- Still not sure I understand the concept of a cyber bride...

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 07:29 PM
RRP- He wouldn't let me get a pink gun because he knew he would want to qualify with it. I had to get the pink holster. I used his paypal to order it, so it came in his name. He was so excited to get a package. He ripped it open and his jaw fell to the floor. I wish I had taken a picture :)

Bawanna- Still not sure I understand the concept of a cyber bride...

Well maybe one of my other cyber brides will come along and explain it.

I'm not sure it's even a concept really. I've never met any of them, no behind closed door sneaky stuff or nothing like that, lord knows I've thought about it.

No contracts, no pre nups, just you and me like pumpkin pie and whip cream, hmm is that a good comparison.

AirRet, you were about moments ago, you still here?

Perhaps you could attest to my honorable and morally correct behavior and intentions. Don't mention that weekend in Vegas, remember it stays there.

That was a joke mama, I never been to Vegas ever.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Haha. I think I like you, sir. I am definitely getting a kick out of talking with you. Which is always good. I hardly have adult conversations anymore. I spend the day with a 5 year old, a 4 year old, and an almost 8 month old. Between rounds of "mama can I have a snack?" and "he pulled my barbie's hair"/"she used my hot wheel ferrari as a skateboard for her barbie" I usually lose my marbles.

Not to mention it will be nice to have some to ask gun questions of other than my husband. I love him to pieces, but he is definitely a "I'm the man of the house-I know everything" sort of guy. Only place he gives me free reign is in the kitchen (no jokes) and that is only because I threatened to rearrange his garage if he touched my pots and pans.

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Haha. I think I like you, sir. I am definitely getting a kick out of talking with you. Which is always good. I hardly have adult conversations anymore. I spend the day with a 5 year old, a 4 year old, and an almost 8 month old. Between rounds of "mama can I have a snack?" and "he pulled my barbie's hair"/"she used my hot wheel ferrari as a skateboard for her barbie" I usually lose my marbles.

Not to mention it will be nice to have some to ask gun questions of other than my husband. I love him to pieces, but he is definitely a "I'm the man of the house-I know everything" sort of guy. Only place he gives me free reign is in the kitchen (no jokes) and that is only because I threatened to rearrange his garage if he touched my pots and pans.

Does he pay you to say this kind of stuff. If I even thought about mentioning being man of the house I'd wake up in a body cast with foolish idiot wrote all over it in bold sharpie.
I sometimes can't tell if I'm reincarnated as a husband or a door mat.

I still have some of my barbies...................oh? too much information?

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Does he pay you to say this kind of stuff. If I even thought about mentioning being man of the house I'd wake up in a body cast with foolish idiot wrote all over it in bold sharpie.
I sometimes can't tell if I'm reincarnated as a husband or a door mat.

Ha! I wish he paid me.

And I only let him think he is the man of the house. I control all that happens through the clever use of homemade cheesecake.

RevRay
04-25-2013, 09:03 PM
I know I've not been around a long time ... heck, I've only fired my CM9 a total of 75 rounds ... but this is by far the nicest reception I've ever seen a newbie receive yet ... and she hasn't even posted a picture ... just saying.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 09:07 PM
I know I've not been around a long time ... heck, I've only fired my CM9 a total of 75 rounds ... but this is by far the nicest reception I've ever seen a newbie receive yet ... and she hasn't even posted a picture ... just saying.

Aw gee.... you'll make me blush.

A picture... hmmm.... I'm not too happy with most of my pictures right now. I had a baby 8 months ago. I still have a little loose weight to dispose of. I can try and dig one up.

JFootin
04-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Welcome to the forum, mamaleader! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) sections of the forum.

And welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! :D Our official symbol is the wide grin smily because we are so happy with our purchase that we can't wipe the smiles off our faces!

Here is your club badge.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Smilies/BigSmily.jpg

Check out this website. Holsters designed by a young lady from Georgia. I have 3 of the Stays-Put Ultra holsters for my CM9 and 2 other guns. They stay put in a pocket, but they also stay put and comfortable in the appendix position behind a good belt. And toward the bottom of the page they have purse and travel holsters. Great products!

Concealment Specialties (http://www.concealmentspecialties.com/products.html)

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Now reverend, control yourself, we haven't even set the hook yet.

A gentlemen never ask.

Besides didn't I try to be nice to you when we were all going through your extremely long and painful waiting period to acquire your shiny new gun?

Hmmmm, I'm an equal opportunity try to be nice guy here with few ulterior motives.

Bawanna
04-25-2013, 09:13 PM
I told you he'd be along shortly didn't I tell ya.

Jfootin, meet mamaleader.

mamaleader
04-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Pleased to meet you, Jfootin. Thank you for the link. I am doing everything I can to learn as much as possible before I actually go shoot it. I have shot my husband's gun, but the kick darn near got me in the face. Other than that, my shooting experience is limited to shooting a shotgun once when I was about 12. I ended up dislocating my shoulder due to not knowing what in the world I was doing.

wyntrout
04-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the forum, Mamaleader. my 38-year-old daughter is due to have her first child, a daughter, in 2 to 3 weeks or so. It will be my first grandchild.

Here's a collection of stuff... links and info, and advice that I've put together. I hope that some of it helps you.

Welcome to the Kahrtalk forum supported by K a h r Arms.
Here are a few essential links and things to do BEFORE you take your new pistol to the range, and ESPECIALLY BEFORE taking it apart and trying to re-assemble it! The Kahr is a different design… 6-7 unique patents cover the Kahrs. I’m not trying to imply that you don’t know anything about guns, but many don’t know anything about the Kahrs and some of the things you can do to damage or cause malfunctions of your new, or new-to-you Kahr pistol.

First, if you don’t have a manual, yet, or one didn’t come with your pistol, you can view it and/or download the pdf file here:
http://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf

Please watch one of these videos FIRST! These videos can point out possible problem areas and emphasize correct procedures!
Take down and re-assembly videos:
T, TP, CW, P, & PM/CM Series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA)
MK series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mSCnIOaUk#t=0s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXmSCnIOaUk#t=0s)
K series:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9-Elite.asp
There are many links on fixing problems listed in several places… under the New Member or Kahr Tech sub-forums.

A very handy one is the Kahr Lubrication Diagram:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14750
Many of your questions can be answered in these areas and you can learn how your Kahr works and not damage it with improper handling.

Another great resource for information on Kahrs... Archives of Magazine and Internet Reviews for Kahr pistols by industry experts. They test these pistols and report on their views and the ammo they tested in it. This is a good way to find ammo that might fit your needs along with accuracy and feeding in the pistol... usually from a rest with velocity and energy, as well as penetration and expansion sometimes... very informational.

http://www.kahr.com/product-reviews.asp

Frequently asked questions: http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp?

One very important bit of advice: Hold the Kahr pistol firmly when firing OR CHAMBERING a round. These compact pistols need all of the force they can get from the slide to get a round into the chamber successfully. If you don't hold the pistol firmly, part of the needed momentum is transferred to MOVING THE PISTOL and the top round will DIVE and jam into the right side of the feed ramp. The weak hand, over hand rack method gives the best grip and a firm rack will give you the best chance at chambering a round.

Use the weak hand fingers over the slide(clear of the ejection port), thumb along the slide and pointing to the rear. Use the gun hand to simultaneously firmly push the gun as you give a vigorous rack with the weak hand and cleanly release the slide as it reaches the rear limit and is "snatched" from the weak hand. This approximates a real rack from firing and beats the slide release method WHEN executed properly. Much more strength can be exerted when this is done closer to the body.

Here's a video on that. The first part is what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hjLbFOw8sow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hjLbFOw8sow)

There are many helpful members here most of the time who might be able to help you, but as anywhere, there are many opinions and not all are correct. Be mindful of this before doing anything drastic to modify your pistol!

Wynn:)
Aka wyntrout

PS: I keep thinking of stuff to add and help new members... and am trying to cover most of the popular subjects. Yes, it's repetitious to many, but possibly not to all new members. This approach is easier than having to look up every tidbit for each new member or question that arises. :)

berettabone
04-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Welcome................

Bad Cheese
04-26-2013, 07:40 AM

I knew it!!! The truth would come out of the closet one day,,, Bawanna cloaks his lifestyle as a great guy on a gun forum and talks gun stuff all day,,,, yes,, that is what he'd have us all believe,,,,

RevRay
04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the forum, Mamaleader. my 38-year-old daughter is due to have her first child, a daughter, in 2 to 3 weeks or so. It will be my first grandchild.

Mamaleader, excuse me for going slightly off topic for a second, but ... have I told you guys that I became a brand new grandfather about two months ago? 2013 is turning out to be a good year for me already.

Bawanna
04-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Mamaleader, excuse me for going slightly off topic for a second, but ... have I told you guys that I became a brand new grandfather about two months ago? 2013 is turning out to be a good year for me already.

You did not and shame on you for making your pals wait 2 months with this news.

Congrats on achieving grandfather status. Photo's of grand babies are encouraged. Need more info. Name, boy/girl weight, length attitude, all the usual specifications.

wyntrout
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Congratulations, Rev'. I've been thinking that I would tiptoe through life without becoming a grandfather, since no one expected my daughter to be able to conceive... having only one damaged "floppy tube" left... her words... and my son being unable to settle on another mate after his disastrous marriage to his high school sweetheart.

It wasn't something I really wanted, but I like little girls and this will be a granddaughter.:)

Wynn:)

RevRay
04-26-2013, 07:26 PM
BTW, Mamaleader, how are you & the "man of the house" fixed for 9mm ammo? I hope you all are not just beginning to look for it now.

mamaleader
04-26-2013, 10:23 PM

Congratulations!! I can't lie that one of the things that make me the happiest would be babies. I may not be able to physically have any more myself, but that does not stop me from pestering my husband about adopting at some point in the future.

mamaleader
04-26-2013, 10:27 PM
BTW, Mamaleader, how are you & the "man of the house" fixed for 9mm ammo? I hope you all are not just beginning to look for it now.

We have a few boxes. Enough to break in my new gun and still have about 100 rounds left. He did recently order a box of the law enforcement grade 9mm, but I think we are good for now.

Wyntrout- Thank you so much for all of the information and links. I feel that you can never have too much knowledge on a new subject.
And congratulations to you. My mama always tells me that her grandkids are probably the biggest joy in her life.

AIRret
04-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Hey Mamaleader, welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot from many great people.

By the way, I'm one (one of many) of Bawanna's cyber wives. He treats all of us with the utmost respect. Being a cyber wife is EXACTLY like a regular marriage except you never really see each other.

phil413tx
04-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Hey Mamaleader, welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot from many great people.

By the way, I'm one (one of many) of Bawanna's cyber wives. He treats all of us with the utmost respect. Being a cyber wife is EXACTLY like a regular marriage except you never really see each other.

So....he does not have pictures of his cyber wives in his workshop? :rolleyes::rolleyes: he claims the other pictures are his wife...;)

mamaleader
04-30-2013, 02:00 PM

I see. So I will not be talked into rubbing his feet like with my husband? That is definitely good. I am so tired of man feet.

Bawanna
04-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Feet rubbing on me would be a complete waste of time. They have been purely cosmetic for 18 years or so.

I'd sure like to compare notes with your hubby though, I got a few other things I'd like to talk my real wife into that I continue to fail miserably at, like permission to buy more important stuff like guns.

Sage
04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the forum. This not the largest gun forum but It's by far the best.

mamaleader
05-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Feet rubbing on me would be a complete waste of time. They have been purely cosmetic for 18 years or so.

I'd sure like to compare notes with your hubby though, I got a few other things I'd like to talk my real wife into that I continue to fail miserably at, like permission to buy more important stuff like guns.

He would certainly not be the best to ask. He spends a good deal of time in the dog house. He still owes me a foot rub from when I was 8 months pregnant with our youngest. He will be lucky if I let him finish building the rifle he is trying to build.

yqtszhj
05-01-2013, 07:14 AM

You'll find that the new ladies get quite the treatment. Hey, even jocko works on his spelling when the new ladies show up.

mamaleader
05-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Nothing wrong with a friendly reception haha

Kong
05-03-2013, 01:18 AM
I must be looking in the wrong places.... I've never found a woman that would go near my feet. Even my podiatrist runs from them.
Welcome to the forum