PDA

View Full Version : PM9 failure to extract by hand

TommyJ
04-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Hello, new to the forum. I've been reading for awhile, bought a Kahr PM9 again after having one and foolishly selling it a few years back. Anyway my question is this: I shot my PM9 yesterday, chambered the rounds with the slide stop release, fired and everything worked as advertised. When I try to unload the gun by hand cycling the slide the live rounds jam. Is it just the tightness of the spring, or an extractor problem or me? I've examined the extractor and found no dings, chips etc.

Looking forward to hearing expert advice. Jocko, you come highly recommended. Thanks all and it's good to be here. TJ

Bawanna
04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Describe the jam? When you pull the slide back is the live round coming out of the chamber or being left behind. If it's cycling correctly when shooting, the extractor should be fine. If it's just hanging up in the ejection port your probably just not pulling it back hard enough or far enough to hit the ejector.

Bawanna
04-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Jocko comes highly recommended for good reason. I try to get ahead of him now and again usually without success. He da man!

jocko
04-14-2010, 01:40 PM
u gott run that slide back fast and it will do it, running it back slowly and kinda watching it and it might do just what yours is doing. I do feel by round 200, that it will be OK, but run it back fast and see how it works. Don't baby it either. What Bawanna said is exactly right. Kahrs are tight and especially when new, ... Listen to Bawanna that man speaks nothing but the truth so help him God.. He is very good at sign language and I can feel him giving me the #1 sign with his middle finger as I type this..

Maybe your being puniche dfor selling the first PM9??????

hsart
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I have about 1200 rounds through my PM45 and the slide is still tight (as when it had broken in at 250 rounds). Feels as though, with proper maintenance it should be this tight at 10,000 rounds. Is there a life expectancy for the PM models? - seems as though the polymer lower is susceptible to some chips, etc.

TommyJ
04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks all for advice and counsel. The wisdom is overflowing and I'm soaking it up like a sponge. Like most of my gun issues it is usually operator error.

Bawanna..The cartridge is hanging up in the ejection port.
Jocko I promise to never sell again.

TJ

gb6491
04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Remington, 100 pack, hollow points have always been a little problematic in my CW45. Feeding and extracting (especially) them by manual operation of the slide just seems to require an extra bit of effort/speed to "git-r-done"; perhaps, your PM9 is experiencing similar ammo sensitivity.
Regards,
Greg

wyntrout
04-14-2010, 03:40 PM
It helps to turn the pistol on its side so that the bullet can fall out as you vigorously rack the slide to the rear. If the gun is upright the extractor can hold it as the cartridge bounces off some part of the barrel or ejection port.
Wynn:)

Bawanna
04-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks all for advice and counsel. The wisdom is overflowing and I'm soaking it up like a sponge. Like most of my gun issues it is usually operator error.

Bawanna..The cartridge is hanging up in the ejection port.
Jocko I promise to never sell again.

TJ

Jocko nailed it then, rack it with enthusiasm, tilt it a bit as Wyn suggested and everything should be fine. I'm usually a perfect example of operator error myself. At least I don't think you have anything wrong with the gun itself. Seems everything gets better with time including the gun operator relationship.

jocko
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I have about 1200 rounds through my PM45 and the slide is still tight (as when it had broken in at 250 rounds). Feels as though, with proper maintenance it should be this tight at 10,000 rounds. Is there a life expectancy for the PM models? - seems as though the polymer lower is susceptible to some chips, etc.

I just got back from shooting a 100 rounds through my PM9, now up to around 25,900 and narry a hitch. no chips on the polymer rails at all. If one slides the slide on the polymer guide rails with some ease there will be no wear. Kahrs are built like a brick **** house and IMO if u keep it clean and lubed it will last. If mine broke tomorrow, I would fix what broke and not loose a minutes sleep. Man made, things can break.

Also put a 100 rounds out of my P380 with my new found PMC ammo, I really have this gun purring like a kitten. Just a super shooter. Having both the PM9 and the P380 at 7 yards I still shoot the P380 more accurate. hard to figure but that is a real tribute to the P380 IMO and those xs sights are just awesome. It needs to be in a better home than mine, as I \just never carry it, great gun but my pM9 just seems to jump in my front pocket 24/7.. If one reads alot of kahr threads, it seems to me, once a shooter get his particular kahr running right, we never seem to read about "anything" down the road breaking. Once they shoot in and all things mate up as they should the gun is like the duracell battery..

TommyJ
04-14-2010, 07:05 PM
I think the previous PM9 had been used a little more when I got it and the break in period was over. Again the new one functioned just fine when I shot it. Time to run some more ammo down range. TJ

TommyJ
05-27-2010, 05:45 PM
update:
I went out and shot another 200 rounds. I can now rack the slide and chamber a round without problems. I emailed Kahr and told them my ejection problem.The response was: This is normal shoot it some more. I inserted a mag of snap caps and they all hand ejected just fine. The snap caps are a little smaller and cleared the ejection port easier. I feel better about my little beauty now and just need to shoot it more.
TJ

Bawanna
05-27-2010, 05:56 PM
update:
I went out and shot another 200 rounds. I can now rack the slide and chamber a round without problems. I emailed Kahr and told them my ejection problem.The response was: This is normal shoot it some more. I inserted a mag of snap caps and they all hand ejected just fine. The snap caps are a little smaller and cleared the ejection port easier. I feel better about my little beauty now and just need to shoot it more.
TJ

Your just over the hill from me. If you need help busting caps let me know, I'm your man. Glad it's well on the road to perfection for ya.

cgo99
05-27-2010, 07:42 PM
u gott run that slide back fast and it will do it, running it back slowly and kinda watching it and it might do just what yours is doing. I do feel by round 200, that it will be OK, but run it back fast and see how it works. Don't baby it either. What Bawanna said is exactly right. Kahrs are tight and especially when new, ... Listen to Bawanna that man speaks nothing but the truth so help him God.. He is very good at sign language and I can feel him giving me the #1 sign with his middle finger as I type this..

Maybe your being puniche dfor selling the first PM9??????
They are both absolutely right I find that I have to rack my PM9 with more "humph" that other guns. I think it is because of the low tolerances of this guns, but I'm no expert.

TommyJ
06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Update on the update. I put another 200 rounds down the tube. I can now hand rack and hand eject rem. hollow pts. Getting better each time I shoot her. TJ

jocko
06-10-2010, 05:59 PM
you and the gun now are starting to work as a team, and that normally produces good results..

bazguitarman
06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
I've had this problem with my PM45 and 230grn HP's. I honestly think it's just because the pistols are so small and the ejection port is a tight fit for an unfired round. Not a big issue for me. Only happens with HP's, so I just shoot that one round out. Or work the slide a little to get the round unjammed. I have only tried 230grn Hydrashocks in mine so I don't know if it's gonna do it with all HP's. No problem at all with FMJ's.