PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a PM45, Info Please

Sage
04-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Hello guys,
I love my PM9. For me it's the perfect every day carry pistol. I'm also a big fan of the .45 cal and I'm ready to add a new pistol to the collection. My LGS has PM45's for $709.00.
How do you compare the PM9 to the PM45 and is this price reasonable? How is the recoil and feel of the PM45?
Thanks for your input.

jocko
04-27-2013, 03:24 PM
stickwith ur PM9

Bawanna
04-27-2013, 03:50 PM
I love mine, more comfy to shoot than my ported K40.

Obviously more recoil than the PM9 (never shot one so I don't know for sure) but your shooting a real bullet so not a fair comparison.

I can't say for sure if that's a good price or not, I think so but would have to do some researching. I like to check auction sites or Buds to get a ball park idea. If it's close I'd buy local.

pappy42
04-27-2013, 03:52 PM
I have not seen or handled a PM9, so I can't offer any comparisons. My PM45 has served me well as an every day carry. I pocket carry the PM45; and it works well for that.

I suspect that the PM45 is a little thicker, a little heavier, and likely recoils more.

I'm a firm believer in the adage "that it's not what you shoot them with; it's where you shoot them"

O'Dell
04-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Keep the PM9 and get the CM45. It's basically the same as the PM but much cheaper. As for the PM45, mine never gave one problem until it allowed itself to get stolen.

jocko
04-27-2013, 04:24 PM
quote from the colonel: but your shooting a real bullet so not a fair comparison.

total blasphemy

Dirt doc
04-27-2013, 04:29 PM
I have both a PM9 & a PM45. I carry the 9 in the summer and the 45 in the fall and winter. I prefer shooting the 45. It fits my hand well and I shoot it well. Recoil isn't bad but I don't shoot over about 30 rounds in a session. If I pocket carry its the PM9 I grab. The 45 is too big for my pockets but it carries well in a IWB holster

Bawanna
04-27-2013, 06:25 PM
My first range trip with my PM45 between my son and I we put 350 rounds through it. We'd probably still be there but ran out of bullets.

I don't generally shoot that many through any one gun but we were having fun and dialing it in.

Sure couldn't or wouldn't do that now days. Gotta conserve ammo.

yqtszhj
04-27-2013, 07:38 PM
My first range trip with my PM45 between my son and I we put 350 rounds through it. We'd probably still be there but ran out of bullets.

I don't generally shoot that many through any one gun but we were having fun and dialing it in.

Sure couldn't or wouldn't do that now days. Gotta conserve ammo.

So you wouldn't burn through $175 of ammo in one visit these days?

Cant say I blame you, But when oldest son came to visit recently we did go through $100 worth during one trip. I don't make that a habit. I hardly shoot more than one box these days then I switch to my limited supply of .22 to satisfy my shooting desires. :(

JERRY
04-27-2013, 08:06 PM
i have both, prefer the PM9 out of spite because it didnt take me over 500 rounds and "tweeking" it myself to get it to run right.

had i got my PM45 now as a slightly used gun which runs right id like it more but im still mad at it/them (kahr) for putting out a new gun that still needed work.

recoil, well it does recoil more but its not bad at all and surprising less than my g.i. 1911. it fits my hand better than the PM9 as well.

$709 NIB is a good price from what ive seen.

Sage
04-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

drgad
05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Not to purposely throw a wrench in the mix, but have you looked at the Springfield XDS? I too looked at the Kahr PM45 (and, frankly, 700.00 seems high for the base model); the XDS has several more options packed with it - costs less - and is just as reliable, if not more so. I went with the XDS and have no regrets. Just sayin...:Amflag2:

TheTman
05-06-2013, 07:37 PM
That XDS looks like a sweet gun. Reviews have been positive. I'm holding out for the CM45, IF it ever gets released. Can't believe they pushed production back because of the CW380 sales being so brisk. Why buy a pea shooter when you can have a pocket cannon. Actually I was going to get around to buying a 380 one of these days, had the elsiepee in mind, since I've had a chance to shoot a few different ones, and they all functioned well. Don't really like the trigger all that much, but I could live with it. Maybe a Keltec P3AT would fit the bill. But isn't there a saying, friends don't let friends buy a Keltec?

CJB
05-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Thought I'd chime in... have got two pm45's here, and a pm9.
My preferred carry is the pm45. Both of mine are utterly flawless, once broken in. Before breakin, there were a few stoppages. Before breakin, I got nailed in the forehead with brass a few times. After breakin, reliability is perfect, and brass sails far to the right.

Recoil is sharper than the pm9... well no crap. Its not an arm breaker, or wrist wrencher. Its more recoil. The 45 is easy recoiling compared to a 357 or any of the bigger bore magnum revolver loads. The 45 does not phase me one bit.... and neither does the 9mm. This is a personal thing.

Accuracy is outstanding - limited by the short sight radius and dao trigger - same as on the pm9.

If you got the jonesbug for a pm45... get one.

fwiw, I carry the pm9 when attire dictates it - only when I cannot carry anything else. There are times when I carry both as well - situationally appropriate for backup.

yqtszhj
05-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Maybe a Keltec P3AT would fit the bill. But isn't there a saying, friends don't let friends buy a Keltec?

:eek::19:

yqtszhj
05-07-2013, 07:18 AM
That XDS looks like a sweet gun. Reviews have been positive. I'm holding out for the CM45, IF it ever gets released. Can't believe they pushed production back because of the CW380 sales being so brisk. Why buy a pea shooter when you can have a pocket cannon. Actually I was going to get around to buying a 380 one of these days, had the elsiepee in mind, since I've had a chance to shoot a few different ones, and they all functioned well. Don't really like the trigger all that much, but I could live with it. Maybe a Keltec P3AT would fit the bill. But isn't there a saying, friends don't let friends buy a Keltec?

The XDS is good. CAn't get my hands on a PM45 or CM45 locally so when I picked up the XDs, it followed me home. :rolleyes:

By the way, it's as thin as my CM9, thinner than my CW45.

JFootin
05-07-2013, 10:32 AM
By the way, it's as thin as my CM9, thinner than my CW45.

Yeah, I've been looking at those life size pics in gun mags (haven't been able to see and handle one, yet). Definitely a viable alternate choice.

BarryinPa
05-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I have a cm 9 and a pm 45. had the 45 first. took a while to break it in, now runs fine. the cm 9 was perfect right from the first round. only ever had one malfunction and that was an out of spec case, was a bit too long to chamber, in Winchester ammo. can't say I like one better than the other, not a great difference in size when you put them side by side, a bit in weight, but not a lot there either. I take the 9 when dressed lighter. would not give up either one.
Barry

JrFreak
05-11-2013, 03:39 AM
My primary carry is a PM9. I was thinking about grabbing a PM45.. then I thought why not a PM40 instead? A PM40 would be my year-round carry. I like the 9, but would like a little more punch for winter clothing penetration.

Jules Winnfield
05-11-2013, 04:41 AM
My primary carry is a PM9. I was thinking about grabbing a PM45.. then I thought why not a PM40 instead? A PM40 would be my year-round carry. I like the 9, but would like a little more punch for winter clothing penetration.

Penetration of clothing is not an issue with today's 9mm ammo. Just stick to the premium defensive ammo.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ScottieG59
05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
I have a PM9 and it is a fantastic carry gun. I compared the PM45 and the Springfield Armory XDs in 45 ACP. Both are fine carry gun choices. I bought the XDs and after thoroughly testing it, it is my most common carry gun. The PM45 is a good choice too. I just liked the looks and feel of the XDs more.

I eventually decided that the XDs is too large for most pockets. For deep concealment or pocket carry, the PM9 is the better choice. If you hit your target and choose wisely on ammo, they are all fine choices.