PDA

View Full Version : Working towards my CCW

mamaleader
05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I've been looking online, but I do not know which information is useful and which is rubbish. I want to do as much reading as possible before I actually take the class and test. Does anyone have any useful links just laying about? Bot sure if it makes a difference, but I live in Oregon state. Thank you so much in advance for any help :)

RevRay
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Here's a link to the NRA's summary of Oregon's Right to Carry laws. You have to scroll down a little bit to get to the pertinent parts.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/oregon.aspx

Barth
05-02-2013, 03:53 PM
My concealed carry training and test was 8 hrs, live fire, bla bla bla...
Still stupid easy to pass.
Really didn't require any study at all.
Most gun shows have some flash training, like two hours, that's cake.
Most gun ranges have classes and will help you with the paperwork.
You can usually get fingerprinted for free by the police.

It's really no big deal.

TheTman
05-02-2013, 06:02 PM
The classroom part of my CC training, was done so that anyone with a spark of intelligence could pass. They didn't go so far as to give you the actual answers to the test, but did give you the page numbers in the handout that contained the answer to the question. I think most of us scored 100% on the written.
The shooting part was ridiculously easy, I think it was 5 shots from 3 yards, one hand unsupported, then 10 shots from 5 yards, using any grip you wished, then another 10 shots from 7 or 10 yards, again using any grip you wished. You had to get 17 out of the 25 shots into the scoring area of the target. I think the worst score was a 23 from a newer shooter. I think the legal aspects were the most important part of the class. And they were very clear on the legal and civil ramifications of an SD shooting. Overall, It was a very good class. For new shooters, I would suggest some advanced training, on the basics, safe handling, clearing jams, and all that sort of stuff.

ltxi
05-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Take the NRA Basic Pistol course from an NRA certified instructor! Settle for nothing less unless you have much age, wisdom, and LE/defensive carry experience.

JFootin
05-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Here's some good additions to add to your library.

Gun Digest Concealed Carry Value Pack (http://view.weapons-community.com/?j=febf127170670d75&m=fe9715707463077476&ls=fdff15727062077e75137070&l=ff63117173&s=fe2a167371630278771371&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe56157672670c7a7612&et_mid=615398&rid=234765271&r=0)

mamaleader
05-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Thank you guys so much!! Whatever course I end up taking should be good. My husband works for the local sheriff's department and will be helping me choose.

Jules Winnfield
05-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Take the NRA Basic Pistol course from an NRA certified instructor! Settle for nothing less unless you have much age, wisdom, and LE/defensive carry experience.

I agree 100%. CC is not a matter to take lightly. I don't think these "instructors" who make their classes ridiculously easy to pass are doing anybody any favors. As someone who cherishes our 2nd Amendment right the last thing I want is someone ill-prepared doing something rash that reflects poorly on all gun owners. The NRA Basic Pistol course is a great first step.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

TheTman
05-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I'd say pay very close attention when they talk about the legal aspects of using a gun for self defense, particularly outside of your home. And now that you are not a cop of any sorts. Drawing your gun is serious business, whether protecting someone from a beat down, a woman from getting raped, no matter what the situation, there are repercussions to the fact that you drew your gun. Say you interfere with a guy giving his wife a beatdown, Cops will tell you that if you interfere, there is a big chance, that the woman will turn on your, to defend her husband. Crazy, but facts back that up. Better to dial 911 and if you are really concerned, tell them you heard a gunshot, that usually quickens the response time. A "gunshot" may be a car backfiring, or something else. Things just often aren't what they appear to be. Something has to be pretty obvious, before I inject myself into a situation, like seeing the whole thing go down, and not walking into the middle of something and assuming this or that.

Barth
05-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Thank you guys so much!! Whatever course I end up taking should be good. My husband works for the local sheriff's department and will be helping me choose.

Just relax, soak up the information and don't hesitate to ask questions.
I've never seen anyone fail the training.
It's mostly meant to be informational.

Enjoy the training and welcome to the forum!