PDA

View Full Version : 1st time shooting a Tommy gun! Woo hoo!

dkmatthews
05-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Oh, I could be seriously ruined.

A buddy of mine bought a used AO Tommy gun and brought it with him to the range. He felt the need to burn through several magazines of ammo, so of course I volunteered to help him with that mission.

Oh me, oh my! What a fun carbine to shoot!

Shooting 12" paper targets at 50 yards was child's play with that fantastic piece. The recoil was negligible to non-existent.

It only had one hiccough while we were shooting it, but we may have found the issue. The bolt would stick to the rear and wouldn't move for ANYTHING. My guess is that the gun was getting hot and gunked up, but the bolt released when I was pulling back on it and simultaneously nudged the bolt release pin on the right side of the frame.

What a sweet shooter.

I may have Tommy gun envy bad enough to go buy my own! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bawanna
05-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Everyone should have a Tommy.

Longitude Zero
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Two actually. One full auto and one semi. Emptying a drum mag with one trigger pull is nirvana.

7shot
05-06-2013, 05:09 PM
That's awesome...every gun enthusiast should have the right to a gangster gun. Nobody gonna f with ya that's for sure.

Salty
05-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Tommy is kool but he is seriously overweight. Great range fun guy.

dkmatthews
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Tommy is kool but he is seriously overweight. Great range fun guy.

Yeah, it's true that Tommy is no welterweight, but I was surprised to find the majority of the weight behind the bolt. It's not like an AR-15 with a skeletonized stock and a 108-piece swiss army-style fore-end equipped with red dot, BUIS, lights, lasers, vert grips, bipods, etc etc etc. It's way more comfortable to shoot standing, unsupported than the typical tactifool AR. :33:

TheTman
05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
They need to come up with one of those bump fire stocks for the Tommy, I bet that would be fun day, long as someone else pays for the ammo. :)

Bawanna
05-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Actually the bolt alone seems like it weighs 5 pounds by itself. It's a solid hunk of steel. Nothing like most of the Mattel products we're used to in modern times.

DeaconKC
05-07-2013, 12:40 PM
It's a REAL gun made out of steel and walnut. That's also why it is so pleasant to shoot.

Longitude Zero
05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
It's way more comfortable to shoot standing, unsupported than the typical tactifool AR. :33:

Agreed.

phil413tx
05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I have always wanted to try one of those! They had one on the outdoor channel the other day. It was fun to watch.

Bawanna
05-07-2013, 04:23 PM
I have always wanted to try one of those! They had one on the outdoor channel the other day. It was fun to watch.

Your welcome to shoot mine any time your in the neighborhood.

Used to be a member here in Kyle Texas that had one, hasn't been around for a long time. No idea where Kyle Texas is, kind of a big place and all.

jocko
05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Your welcome to shoot mine any time your in the neighborhood.

Used to be a member here in Kyle Texas that had one, hasn't been around for a long time. No idea where Kyle Texas is, kind of a big place and all.

years back an old Italian woman was cleaning out her basement as the ol man had died etc, and she found this violin case and in it was the motst beautiful Thompson u ever seen, drum mag and all, high gloss blue, adjustable sights etc, looked like it had never been fired even. She gave it to the chief of police for our police dept to have, as it was past any amnestry act back then so that was all she could do with it. But the chi9ief brought it up for me to see and guys, this was a real peace of art. Definitel it was made for commercial sales b ack when legal. The dept kept if toe 30+ years kand finally a local class 3 dealer worked out a trade witht he dept for the thompson in exchange for a AR's.this dealer told me , he could never sell this gun as the amnestry provented it but he could legally own it and shoot it etc. I never forget that gun ahd how sweet it looked. Wehad alot of boot leggers in my home town and many carried thompsons as they moved whisky fro here up to Chicago which was about 250 miles.. Just sayin

vedearduff
07-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Sorry for the late post, I just read this thread and had to reply.

About the bumpfire stock, it's not needed. Check out this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22BXs_C3GdQ) (no, it's not me) on YouTube. I've been able to get 3 to 5 round bursts, from the shoulder, with my 1927a1. I've also managed to empty 20 and 30 round stick mags from the hip. The rate of fire is close to that of the real deal.

Here are a couple photos of mine.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Guns/Thompson/Thompson-03.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Guns/Thompson/Thompson-02.jpg

It takes a bit of practice, but it is a blast.

Vernon in Indiana