PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Knives revisited

CJB
05-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Hey folks.... gotta say

That recent Benchmade out the front knife is really becoming my favorite.

Being able to deploy, cut with and stow the knife with on hand is something I find useful. Yah, I could do the same with a fixed blade sheath knife - but those are larger and ya have to pretty much wear 'em on your belt.

Compared to an out the side knife - which I have about four or five of, they each have their use. The OTS knives are less prone to sand/dirt causing problems. OTS's generally have single sided blades, easier to sharpen due to the blade geometery. OTF's generally - but not always - are dagger blades, double sided, which makes them a lot harder to razor edge due to the angles involved.

Currently... making up a little jig to hold the Benchmade so my Lansky stuff can be used with it.

The OTF... another plus for me, is that its ambidextrous while OTS's are not. OTS's are usually thinner and lighter.... and lock up tighter. OTF's, every one I've seen are tight "in and out" but have a little wiggle in the blade when deployed.

So to each their own, each knife has its uses....

knkali
05-20-2013, 11:06 AM
I think we got our Benchmade OTFs about the ame time.

Since I lubed my knife, I have not had any misfires no matter how hard I try to make one.
It has become my EDC
I really like my OTF but I do not love it. I would not buy another for the $ they go for. If it was $200ish I would think it is a fair price for it but not at $400ish.

Eventually, I am going to have the edge reprofiled so the it is razor sharp andf if it still has zero failures to deploy, it could warm up to me more. Time will tell. My Spyderco Police 3 with home made wave feature is really much better to carry IMHO. The OTF feels better in the hand though.

Barth
05-20-2013, 11:15 AM
My Spyderco Pacific Salt H1 with Spyder Edge is not an automatic knife.
But IMHO, for ~$58.00, it's one of the best knives on the market.
Been my go to EDC blade for years.
And has always performed beyond my expectations.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spyderco-Pacific-Salt-Spyderedge-Knife/17687621
http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/large/C91BK_L.jpg

knkali
05-20-2013, 12:30 PM
here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkxI288OgE

JFootin
05-20-2013, 03:24 PM
I have crippled hands, but someone with normal hands can open my Gerber Fast Draw (http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/Fast-Draw-Knife_22-47162) assisted opening knife with one hand. Can close it one handed with the right hand, too. It is ambidextrous, with assist buttons on both sides of the blade. Has a good clip. I got mine from Amazon for $23.xx shipped. One sided blade, but it sure can cut! I used it to cut open a large cardboard box containing pieces for a platform bed. It had about 1/4" thick walls, and the fast draw went through it like it was paper! (I didn't just open the top. It was about 7.5 feet long and I cut it down the side and laid it open.) Hard to beat at any price, IMO. :D

I got the smooth blade style, but here is a demo of the serrated version.

jeH-oqVKgXM

downtownv
05-20-2013, 03:24 PM
I have a good collection of auto-knives from around the world... The Protech Brend is by far the best made.

http://www.bladeops.com/Pro-Tech-Medium-Brend-3-Auto-Plain-Edge-Black-Hand-p/pt1306c.htm

LorenzoB
05-20-2013, 10:44 PM
I like my USA made Kershaw Blur the best. It has assisted opening by use of the thumb stud instead of a "flipper", but it is shaped and positioned perfectly for my hands.

SGT5711
05-20-2013, 11:09 PM
I have a good collection of auto-knives from around the world... The Protech Brend is by far the best made.

http://www.bladeops.com/Pro-Tech-Medium-Brend-3-Auto-Plain-Edge-Black-Hand-p/pt1306c.htm

I have been wanting to try a Pro-Tech as I have heard other good things about their knives. My current EDC knife is a Microtech Ultratech, which I am very pleased with.

TheTman
05-21-2013, 01:35 AM
I have Kershaw Leek an assisted opening OTS knife, dang handy knife. Also have a Kershaw with a bigger blade, and opens with flipper deal or the thumb stud and a flick of the wrist. Both are pretty nice knives that hold an edge well, and were around $50.00. I carry the leek more since it's smaller and doesn't take up much room in my pocket.
Also have a Benchmade, numbered limited edition pre-production run that cost about 3 times the Kershaw's, but is not nearly as handy to open, for me at least. The opening stud is off center and difficult to get a thumb under. I was carrying it one day, and my ex threw away the box and instructions/warranty paper, then threw the trash out. Almost went dumpster diving that day. :mad:

downtownv
05-21-2013, 03:11 AM
I have been wanting to try a Pro-Tech as I have heard other good things about their knives. My current EDC knife is a Microtech Ultratech, which I am very pleased with.

They are on the high side in terms of price $350= (I Only paid $200 with 2 CRKT's-nice products and a leather belt holder included) The ProTech spring SNAPS to life if you give it the "San Francisco" grasp it will fly out of your hand! You need a "Texas HOLDEM" prior to hitting that button!

CJB
05-21-2013, 05:06 AM
I think we got our Benchmade OTFs about the ame time.

Since I lubed my knife, I have not had any misfires no matter how hard I try to make one.
It has become my EDC
I really like my OTF but I do not love it. I would not buy another for the $ they go for. If it was $200ish I would think it is a fair price for it but not at $400ish.

Eventually, I am going to have the edge reprofiled so the it is razor sharp andf if it still has zero failures to deploy, it could warm up to me more. Time will tell. My Spyderco Police 3 with home made wave feature is really much better to carry IMHO. The OTF feels better in the hand though.

Best to not reprofile the Infidel.... D2 steel....tough but brittle. Thin edges not its forte.

muggsy
05-21-2013, 05:57 AM
here you go:

I'm gonna buy one of those knives the very next time that I have a need to stab a pine board. Until then I'll stay with my CRKT. :)

LorenzoB
05-21-2013, 07:15 AM
here you go:

knkali, was that you in the video?

knkali
05-21-2013, 07:51 AM
knkali, was that you in the video?

No sir

LorenzoB
05-21-2013, 07:59 AM
No sir

I'm glad, because he seemed a little nutty. ;)

Also not safe.
Maybe he cut his finger before with a folding blade (notice the bandage on finger) while trying to attack the evil menacing board... And now he is just really excited he has a "non-folding blade now.

LorenzoB
05-21-2013, 08:01 AM
The repeated attacks and determination is almost comical! Did I mention that I'm glad that wasn't you. ;)

kahrseye
05-21-2013, 08:10 AM
In my state we aren't permitted to carry automatic knives. I guess we're just too stupid to carry them....only LEO and military are allowed. Not sure I understand why. Anyhow, I have a lot of different knives including Kershaw, Benchmade, SOG, CRKT, and Zero Tolerance. But my most favorite is my newest. Notice how it opens when pulled out of your pocket.

Cold Steel Spartan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymcirr0VKM&feature=player_detailpage

ripley16
05-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Which one of you guys bought "Marks Owen's knife? Great way to raise cash.

They’ve got their own way of doing things, even when it comes to raising money. A pocket knife carried by former SEAL Team 6 member “Mark Owen” during the raid that killed Osama bin Laden went for $35,400 during “The Silent Professional” online charity auction to aid special forces personnel in need. Mark Owen is the pseudonym of the former Navy SEAL who wrote “No Easy Day,” a memoir of the mission.

He carried the knife for eight years; it was crafted for him Ernest Emerson of Emerson Knives, who offered a letter of authenticity to the winning bidder. “‘Owen’ is the real guy and this is the real knife,” Mr. Emerson says.

“Giving back to our community is very important to me, and if donating this knife to charity helps with that process then I’m more than happy to do it,” Mr. Owen says. “One team, one fight.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2013/may/21/auction-seal-team-6-knife-bin-laden-raid-raises-35/

knkali
05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
In my state we aren't permitted to carry automatic knives. I guess we're just too stupid to carry them....only LEO and military are allowed. Not sure I understand why. Anyhow, I have a lot of different knives including Kershaw, Benchmade, SOG, CRKT, and Zero Tolerance. But my most favorite is my newest. Notice how it opens when pulled out of your pocket.

Cold Steel Spartan

everything ColdSteel makes is scary sheet. But this knife at 7.5 oz is a little heavy for me to carry. BUT it IS a lot of knife too.

JFootin
05-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Cold Steel Spartan

That is impressive! I like the shape of the grip; your hand is locked into place for some serious business. I have a Cold Steel Roach Belly. Very inexpensive fixed blade knife, but I was impressed with the incredibly sharp blade. I'm a lefty, so the sheath fits backwards on my left side. But I like it like that because I can draw it and hold it like he did for stabbing.

Bawanna
05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Civilian pukes aren't allowed automatic knives in my state neither, some of the officers have them and let me play with them now and then, usually when they are dull and want me to try and sharpen best I can. I've pretty much converted to fixed blades myself.

I do have an SOG Pentagon which is the best folder I've encountered. Have several but its my favorite folder which I rarely carry anymore.

7shot
05-21-2013, 12:07 PM

Cold Steel Spartan

same deal in tx, though i believe you can actually legally purchase one you just can't carry it. :rolleyes:

i also own benchmade knives with the stryker assisted being my favorite.

SGT5711
05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
For anyone who lives in Kansas, good news:

April 16, 2013: After two years of hard work, Kansas Governor Sam Brownback has signed the Knife Rights comprehensive knife law reform act, HB2033 into law today.

HB2033 repeals all existing local knife laws in Kansas and enacts statewide preemption of any attempt to pass new local knife laws more restrictive than state law. HB2033 also repeals the ban on the possession of switchblades, dirks, daggers and stilettos. Be advised that the new law does not go into effect until July 1st.

wyntrout
05-21-2013, 12:54 PM
That was one of the bad things about San Antonio... Ban on lock-blade knives! Downtown had a lot of "panhandlers" and too many restrictions on the CWL, so I didn't bother with that until I got to Florida and could get a Concealed Weapon License... knives, clubs, stun guns, and any other legal weapons, not just a particular pistol, or pistols.

Wynn:)

muggsy
05-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Cold Steel Spartan

For a moment there I thought they were describing me. Big belly, comes to a sharp point! :)

ltxi
05-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Under federal law....possession of a switchblade/automatic knife by other than military, LE, or someone with only one arm is a criminal offense. Arcane and not much enforced, but to the best of my knowledge still true. "Spring assisted" opening exempted circa 2010, I believe.

Jeremiah/Az
05-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I have a whole drawer full of knives I have bought over the years, but the one always in my pocket is a "Swiss Army knife" which it is not, by Victornox. I like the doo-dads on it & it holds an edge as well as any of my expensive knives.

CJB
05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Under federal law....possession of a switchblade/automatic knife by other than military, LE, or someone with only one arm is a criminal offense. Arcane and not much enforced, but to the best of my knowledge still true. "Spring assisted" opening exempted circa 2010, I believe.

If you read the whole law thats not the case. The law is dealing with interstate commerce.

340pd
05-22-2013, 06:33 AM
It is interesting how intimidating these things can be. As a youth I was once confronted be three potential aggressors and one raised his shirt to show me the grip of his revolver. I still am not sure if it was the sudden "fight or flight", or the liquor I had ingested, but out of my pocket came a long bladed stiletto with a kris blade. It was intimidating enough to cause them to pause, and depart very quickly. I can still hear the sound of that knife opening and locking up 40 years later.

downtownv
05-22-2013, 06:39 AM
It is interesting how intimidating these things can be. As a youth I was once confronted be three potential aggressors and one raised his shirt to show me the grip of his revolver. I still am not sure if it was the sudden "fight or flight", or the liquor I had ingested, but out of my pocket came a long bladed stiletto with a kris blade. It was intimidating enough to cause them to pause, and depart very quickly. I can still hear the sound of that knife opening and locking up 40 years later.

So much for never bring a knife to a gun fight adage!

ltxi
05-22-2013, 06:24 PM
If you read the whole law thats not the case. The law is dealing with interstate commerce.

Yes, it is. Which is why it gets fuzzy and and enforcement isn't an issue.
Same as guns. Take away IC and the feds lose leverage.

CJB
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Agreed.

There's something in the law about not shipping by mail, but all the autos I've gotten have come by certified mail... go figure.

In Florida....

Carry your auto knife openly (even if its just the pocket clip showing), and you're good to go.

Carry your auto knife concealed - and you need a Florida Concealed Weapons Permit.

No restrictions on blade length, etc etc... all of that was tossed in 2003

Barth
05-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Florida is sweet for concealed weapons.
Not everywhere I can carry a double edged push dagger legally.
http://www.pvk.com/webcat/media/prodimg/0010/safemaker1new07.jpg