PDA

View Full Version : Another visit to the range. .380/9mm/.45

wyntrout
04-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi, I needed to test my .380 to see if it still would shoot after all of the tinkering I did to the feed ramp. I tried out a few more of the 205 pieces that came with my Alltrade(~$25 at Costco) "Dremel-like" tool... grindstones, carbide grinders,.... Holy crap! I thought I would never get some of those furrows straightened out! I finally used 400-grit sandpaper rolled around a round file to make the ramp look somewhat like it did... before I oops'ed... oops... OOPS! Then I polished and polished and polished some more until it looked like it did before I screwed with it. the idea was to try to extend the actual feed-ramp part down a tad, using the very rounded bottom of the ramp. I was worried that the cartridges might fly out of the gun now, but it was like I had done nothing. I still had those same failures to feed where the bullet butts low against the feed ramp and just sticks... until you rack the slide to the rear and let go. That usually chambers the round. I had about 2 FTFeed with 50 Aguila and 4 or 5 with about 40 BB 90-gr JHP +P. The Aguila shoots well and when transitioning to the BB, it's sort of a shock with the increased recoil and report, but after a shot or two, I was shooting it well, except for the dang FTF's.

I then tried the stepchild... my PM9 that I had trouble shooting properly... throwing my shots about 7:30 to 8:00 o'clock at 3 to 4 inches. All the practice with the others had definitely corrected most of that... lots better.
I shot 50 UMC 115-gr FMJ, 50 S&B 124-gr FMJ, and 20 or so DT and/or Speer GD +P SD ammo. I may have had a FTF or two, but nothing I can remember. used the 7-shot with extended grip magazine... with the new extra-power Wolff spring, and it worked okay. I'll carry it as a spare now... when/if I carry the PM9.:p

Then I shot the big boy -- PM45. I shot 50 UMC 230-gr FMJ, about 20 or so Rem. Bonded Golden Saber 230-gr BJHP, and then another box of Wolf 230-gr JHP, steel-cased. I think the UMC was okay and the GS was okay, but the Wolf sucked... smoke, soot, and stink! I had two light strikes... one I was able to pull the slide back just far enough to re-c0ck the striker and it fired okay. the second I had to eject (took pix), reloaded and fired okay. I also had a few FTFeed, as well... most could be chambered by racking the slide to the rear. Again! I forgot to video the flashes and smoke from the Wolf ammo. I was just taking pix of the target... no video. DOH!:rolleyes:

The range had all kinds of ammo and "cheap" range ammo... $13 for 9mm, $17 for .45 and $20 for .380, though one price on the shelf said $13 for .380. I should have bought some. I only have the BB SD +P ammo left and I don't trust it because of FTFeed, though a quick hard rack works to correct that.
I don't know if I really want to screw around with the feed ramp anymore, but when I clean all three guns, I'll polish them some more. I just bought some more of the little ~1/2" polishing wheels.

I'll look through the pix and post some. While the target was at 15 yards I got some collateral damage from other shooters' ricochets. Shooting at the bottom of the target can hit the floor and spray the back area. I try to avoid that myself.

The first magazine out of the .380 was amazing... to me... only one "flier". The second was a little less tight. (~23 ft):D

Wynn:)

jlottmc
04-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Wynn your problem sounds more like a magazine spring/follower issue than a feed ramp length/geometry issue. Check to see that the magazines are seated properly, then if they are, pull the slide off and insert a magazine into the well. Check to see that the rounds are lining up with the feed ramp, and that they sit so the slide can catch them. I'll bet you find something interesting things there. :)

jocko
04-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Not sure wyn, I would carry any of those 3 until they are reliable. sounds to me like there are still some gremlins in each one of them that needs to be worked out..

I can over look the wolffs ammo crap, for that is what it is but the other brands should be flawless.. Be very sure your striker channel is spiffy clean to...I know you know what your doing so not trying to tell you anything you don't already know either..

wyntrout
04-17-2010, 01:09 PM
More pix, but have to name and load them, though. First is the LAST un-patched target after the 50 Wolf .45 FMJ, showing the two ricochets while at 15 yards. I never patched those... just remember the extreme left and lowest "dents" are from ricochets. My worst shots were high at 15 yards, fairly rapid fire. I nicked the clamp protector a couple of times... the target really jumped around!:eek:
The only problem I have with the .45 is trying to keep my thumb away from the magazine release... too close and it's a little rough.
I love my "Boomer"!:D
I didn't keep a log and I'm trying to figure out some of the targets. I know everything after the light strike is .45, but there was a box of UMC and some Golden Sabers before I got to the Wolf.:rolleyes:
I'll try to post a few more on this post later... trying to order some Wolff +10% P3AT magazine springs for the P380 mags.

Bawanna
04-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Seems like everything is peachy in the accuracy department. That should only get better as you mentioned your even shooting the step child better just by having more trigger time with the others.
Hope to see those glitches disposed of and everything working like a swiss kahr?

jlottmc
04-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Wynn, not to meddle too much, but maybe Bersa, or Llama 380 mag springs might work or maybe a single stack Beretta might work. Perhaps a 9mm mag spring as well. I'd have to see it a little closer before I could tell you any better than that though. Try turning mag spring around, it really looks like the follower is taking a dive, sometimes the mag springs are backwards, something else to try before dropping a bunch of money into it.

wyntrout
04-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I put Wolff +5% springs in my 3 PM9 6-rounders and the 7-rounder I was having trouble with. Now I only have two 7-round for the K9 mags, of which I have three, but they've been okay. I was looking at modifying one of the "old" 6-round 9mm springs so it would fit the .380 follower, but under compression, that looks like an easy jam... the loops are a lot bigger, so I think I'll try the Wolff +10% springs for the KelTec P3AT for the mags and query Ian about stronger recoil springs or a new set.

jlottmc
04-17-2010, 03:33 PM
That sounds like a winner