PDA

View Full Version : I got K9...

mity2
04-17-2010, 01:01 PM
my first post.
I've been carrying S&W M&P9C everyday for the past 2.5 years.
Its trusty, dependable and accurate gun.
But lately with nicer weather here, i've been considering something smaller to CCW.
Didn't want .380ACP, and perfer all steel weapon for a better recoil management.

So I bought myself a new slimmer/smaller summer carry to give my trusty M&P9C a much needed R&R...

Once I break this weapon in, my trusty M&P9C will be put back in the case, ammo removed from its mag, and tention off of striker spring for the first time in perhaps about 2 years?

My new CCW candidate...
Its supposbly a some special or limited edition K-9 is what the dealer told me...
http://i39.tinypic.com/2w2ep28.jpg
Also got Don Hume's IWB P.C.C.H as well...
http://i43.tinypic.com/142x7xe.jpg

There is story with this weapon too.
About year or so ago, I put deposit down on this very weapon. I had it in layaway for about 2 months before used the money to buy something else(Sig P-226Combat).
Then someone bought it. little while later in last summer, I ran in to this guy at the range who was shooting familier looking K-9, and upon chatting, I find out that this was the very weapon I put deposit on once before.
He let me shoot several mags though it(and I let him shoot my P-226Combat). Although little snappy, it shot very nice, and smooth DA trigger which I was originaly sold on was even smoother, now that it had some rounds through it.
"I wish I went through with the layaway" I recall thinking.

several months later, gun was back on the shop's shelf. Guy traded in to get full size Sig shop told me.
I thought about trading my M&P9C for it, but dicided no. M&P9C is much better CCW gun, and mine was running perfect. I just had no reason to replace my M&P9C.

So another person put it in Layaway.
He defulted on payment. Gun went back on shelf.

Then another guy put it on layaway. Yet failed to meet the obrigation again!

By this time, gunshop guys were telling me jokingly that gun just refuse to leave the shop. Even said that its cursed.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ra5cg9.jpg
I was talking to him about it when I was picking up S&W 66 few weeks ago, and dicided that it refused to leave the shop, because it was meant to be picked up by me.

I had money, so I bought it today.
little used, but still increadibly tight weapon, I can't wait to go shoot this thing on sunday!
Then night sight, SS guiderod, may be a better grip?

Bawanna
04-17-2010, 01:08 PM
New gun with a built in history. I do believe karma had something to do with you taking it home. I don't recall ever seeing a duo tone with that combination but it looks really nice.
Thanks for the pics, keep us posted after you get some bonding time with it. Welcome.

mity2
04-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Its part number is K9093BX.
On box, it says
"K9 9mm special dualtone"

my first 4 digits of serial # is BF08.

can you tell me how do I figure out what the manufacturing date is?

jlottmc
04-17-2010, 02:07 PM
New gun with a built in history. I do believe karma had something to do with you taking it home. I don't recall ever seeing a duo tone with that combination but it looks really nice.
Thanks for the pics, keep us posted after you get some bonding time with it. Welcome.

What he said. As for the date of manufacture... I would send a letter to Kahr and ask them.

jocko
04-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Its part number is K9093BX.
On box, it says
"K9 9mm special dualtone"

my first 4 digits of serial # is BF08.

can you tell me how do I figure out what the manufacturing date is?

will be early 1st quarter of 2009 and the slide is not stainless but black carbon steel. would not be my first choice. the finish will not last unlike the kahr DLC tungsten finish they put on their stainless slides. As all carbon steel made things, Rust is going to be more of an issue than a stainless version. It would indeed have to be one hell of a super dupper price for me to want to own it. No doubt it is a damn good gun though, so no offense there.. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. the gun is a real shooter..

I had heard that kahr had some "left" over black carbon steel slides and decided to put out this K9 model. If you want a K9 get the all stainless version, not a better all steel semi out there IMO. If you call kahr, u might want to ask them if this gun has the NYPD trigger or the elite trigger . You can email kahr and give them your serial number and get the exact date of the gun but I am sure it is early 2009 but they will also tell you what kind of trigger is in thegun also. If u call, u get an swer faster and you might then want to ask for IAN. he seems to know what is going on, where some of the CS people tend to speak off the top of their heads..

Bawanna
04-17-2010, 02:43 PM
will be mid 2009 and the slide is not stainless but black carbon steel. would not be my first choice. the finish will not last unlike the kahr DLC tungsten finish they put on their stainless slides. As all carbon steel made things, Rust is going to be more of an issue than a stainless version. It would indeed have to be one hell of a super dupper price for me to want to own it. No doubt it is a damn good gun though, so no offense there..

I had heard that kahr had some "left" over black carbon steel slides and decided to put out this K9 model. If you want a K9 get the all stainless version, not a better all steel semi out there IMO.

I think with a little loving care it will still be fine. Not many guys go out especially with ccw's and get them wet and let them rust. Sweat could be an issue but a little cleaning and oiling and it'll last along time. If it ever does start to wear, sent that thing off to Robar and get the Rogaurd or NP3 or NP3 plus refinish and it'll be good as new and last a long time.
I didn't realize they still had any carbon slides.
My K40 originally was all black, it had some issues, went back to the mother ship and sat waiting for a new black slide. Not knowing any better I asked if I could upgrade to a stainless slide, they had one and it shipped back to me the same day, I like it better myself but I think I might have gave up a DLC slide for a stainless. Anyhow, is the black frame also stainless under that black or is it carbon steel? I'm thinking carbon steel. Share your wisdom with me oracle.

jocko
04-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I am pretty sure that model K9 has a carbon steel slide, not a stainless slide. I do know kahr had some inventory of those black carbon steel slides and decided to make the K9 like that. They didn't restart makign the black carbon steel slide, they just had a surplus inventory that probably they felt was not going to be eve rused unless they come up with the K9 dual tone version. and ur right, take care of it and it will be like any other blued firearm. I wish they would offer the steel versions in the upper dlc finsih but they don't YET.. Hell they could finish ther entire gun in that DLC finish. It would sell.

But it is not somethign taht they do in house, so more than likely would be more additional inventory that they right now don't want to mess with.

It is a nice looking K9, that is for sure..

jocko
04-17-2010, 03:09 PM
:) Me thinks he already bought it.

Just keep it oiled, & wiped down. It just needs a little more LOVE than a stainless.:D

I missed that part:banplease:

mity2
04-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys for encouragement. I can't wait to go shoot this thing

And to Nay sayer
Yes, I bought the weapon already, Yes, its carbonsteel slide with Stainless frame, Yes, i wish it was blackened SS, but its not, and yes, carbon steel do rust, and I'm well aware that.

I knew that when I bought the weapon. I do intend to to carry this weapon, and I do keep all my weapon well oild.
I have yet to have any weapon develop rust on me, and I'm not about to start either.

Geez, when someone put it like that, now I wish i didn't buy this gun:(
Who would be stupid enough to buy a carbon steel gun for CCW...

I mean really, I'm sorry for joining this forum hoping to share, and learn, but finding out that I only to disgust, and waste someone's time with such abomination as gun with parts made of carbonsteel...

And to someone who mentioned Rober NP3, while I love the look of NP3(specialy the new NP3 Plus), I think I'm gonna find other finish.
I have Beretta 96D PSP with NP3, and NP3 finish is wearing away on just about every serface. its also discoloring. Its also flaking away on locking block as well. But original owner of the weapon told me that when he asked, Rober refuse to warrenty it, stating that since gun was carried as PSP duty weapon, it seen extreme use, there for not warrentied , or something like that.

Oh but at least my carbon steel Beretta 96D's slide - NP3 is worn away down to bare metal on some spot, its still rust free...

jocko
04-17-2010, 03:58 PM
sorry u took it that way, I thought I also gave it a thumbs up. U did not mention u knew it was a carbon steel slide in ur original statement. That would have helped alot more.

The bottom line is that you like it and it serves your purpose well, so my comments are mine only and yours to disagree with. Certainly was not knocking the gun either and I do believe I said if you take care of it, it will be like any other blued version gun, They are not rust buckets and never meant it that way but also was unaware that you knew it was carbon steel slide instead of stainless.

I think you last sentence was way way off base but again, if I offended you, sorry about that. You come on here and u ask some questions and evidentley you did not get the exact answers you wanted.

PM sent. thank you

Bawanna
04-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I see absolutely nothing here where I mocked your pistol or down graded it in ANY way. As a matter of fact it is a damn good looking gun.

I think most people here own DLC KAHRS or STAINLESS KAHRS. The Carbon models are just not seen as often. I found a E9 in a store last week and had to come here and ask about it. I had never seen or heard of that model before.

I THINK YOU MAY HAVE JUST TAKEN THINGS THE WRONG WAY MITY2. Shake it off/ walk it out/ rub some dirt on the wound/ and join in the reindeer games.

+1 on everything but rubbing dirt on the wound. I think mud is preferred. Lets just start over again and see what happens. This was a learning experience for me as well, never heard of the model you have but as stated earlier I like the look. I guess opinions are like arse holes, everyone has one, so forgive us our transgressions.

jocko
04-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Heh guys MITY2 is OK, he's cool. we chatted, I probalbly jumped the gun somewhat to. as I knew of two other owners of these guns who were not told they were carbon steel versions, so I assumed wrong with this owner. and we all know that when we assume u make an ass out of u and me. welcome to the forum MITY2 and just shoot the K9 like you stole it and trust me when u hear comments from ryoung and bawanna, you know you have two of the best watching your back to. Super guys, we don't always agree and thats why it is a learning process on this forum to. But we have all agreed to be able to disagree.

I would watch out for Bawanna, when he doesn't take his meds, he thinks he lives in wyoming or wasington,

jocko
04-17-2010, 05:12 PM
probably never gonna see that ryoung. Proably to expensive. maybe even a lost art. Used to see it alot on older side by sides and some good ol colt western style revolvers. oh for the good ol days. u better go find that kimber my friend and put it in a nice glass case for memories..

ah yes K45 case hardened, with high grade whale bone grips , msrp $2895, get um while they last!! or for $500 extra bone grips out of the right leg of Bawanna45. NOW WE ARE TALKING!!!!

Bawanna
04-17-2010, 06:13 PM
probably never gonna see that ryoung. Proably to expensive. maybe even a lost art. Used to see it alot on older side by sides and some good ol colt western style revolvers. oh for the good ol days. u better go find that kimber my friend and put it in a nice glass case for memories..

ah yes K45 case hardened, with high grade whale bone grips , msrp $2895, get um while they last!! or for $500 extra bone grips out of the right leg of Bawanna45. NOW WE ARE TALKING!!!!

Case hardened rocks. I have a couple 45 Colts revolvers that I just love to pieces. I'm happy to donate the right leg, not using it for anything anyhow. Anything to promote the cause.
Saw a Colt 1911 where the guy had case hardened the whole gun, it was a thing of beauty. Now you've stirred up my wants and desires again.
I'm just rolling back and forth here in Cody, love this place.

mity2
04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
I just got back from shooting it.
First thing first - Gun ran with no issues. 200rds went without any issue.
Its plenty accurate for whats intended for. See the pic below...
http://i41.tinypic.com/in5nrl.jpg
(pic taken with IPhone. sorry for the low quality)
7~10yds. Rapid fire. Yep, its plenty accurate for any self defence situation. . Its little off to the right. But I can see that its front sight is clearly off to the left a bit. I'll fix that as soon as I get an access to sight pusher.

You all know exactly how well this gun works. SO im not going to bore you guys with impression.

I well tell you tho that the according to Kahr, Pearce Grip makes extention for 7rd mag.
This I must get

Inspiribomb
04-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Congrats, I love my K9 and carry it daily :) They are terrific guns, and are amazingly accurate. I find the recoil to be pretty mild, but I also am coming from shooting .40's exclusively. The all-steel Kahrs are, IMO, the creme de la creme for Kahr.

Bawanna
04-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Yup, I'd say she's plenty accurate for defense or otherwise. With that gun in your hand you are my master. 200 without a glitch, awesome.
I'd say your all set and good to go. Pretty good pic for a phone, I gotta figure out how to do something with a phone pic. My kid tells me my phone will do it. Need a cord or something? I'm technologically challenges to say the least.

PaiN
04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Nice pick-up
That is a damn fine looking pistol.(I know, I'm late to the party but what the heck ;) )

mity2
04-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Need a cord or something? I'm technologically challenges to say the least.

You can send it to your computer via cord.
Or with iphone, you can just get on the web, and post it from there.
Or with my case, I just e-mailed pic to myself, and retreved it from my laptop, and posted it.

Inspiribomb, i did find that recoil is bit on harsh side.
Recoil I felt was more sharp/heavier then Beretta 96D i took with me.
But its manageble, and certainly is no worth then shooting my commander size 1911 with Federal Hydrashock 240gr .45ACP+P.
It did bother my hand after 200rds tho.
But gun was never meant to be a range toy, and I didn't buy it as that.
With Dan Hume's IWB, this weapon simply dissappear. No inprints at all.

Do anyone have any experience with XS BigDot tritium Kahr sells through their accessory section?
I was always 3 dot sight guy, but I do like the sight set up on this weapon(lollipop sight) as it was very fast to accuire - more so then my other 3 dot sighted weapon I have..

Bawanna
04-19-2010, 06:26 PM
You can send it to your computer via cord.
Or with iphone, you can just get on the web, and post it from there.
Or with my case, I just e-mailed pic to myself, and retreved it from my laptop, and posted it.

Do anyone have any experience with XS BigDot tritium Kahr sells through their accessory section?
I was always 3 dot sight guy, but I do like the sight set up on this weapon(lollipop sight) as it was very fast to accuire - more so then my other 3 dot sighted weapon I have..

I'm a devout fan of XS sights. I prefer the standard dot, same concept just a smaller dot up front. If / when I get a PM either 9 or 45 it will no doubt have the big dot up front, fast and personal.
I have several sets on different guns and I just love them. Great for tired eyes I guess.
I'll track down a cord for the phone, I got the cheap program so don't do the cyber thing with the phone, I did actually take a picture with it a little bit ago, need the cord to get it out of there. I may get this technology stuff someday if theres enough time left.

jlottmc
04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Good enough for gov't work those holes are. Yup, that'll do donkey, that'll do