PDA

View Full Version : When to replace springs?

gi1964
05-31-2013, 01:51 PM
(Yes, I searched, however did not come across a good answer)

How often do you replace the recoil spring (outer spring) on a PM/CM9? Also, what other springs should be replaced on a regular basis?

As always, I appreciate the good advice and the occasional snarky comment.

Bawanna
05-31-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm not into snary remarks myself.

If memory serves I think Kahr recommends 1200 to 1500 for the recoil spring, other's please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Personally I don't change springs until something isn't working right. I believe spring changing is somewhat over rated.

I have only changed 1 or 2 recoil springs in my years of shooting and owning numerous autos.

My Hi Power recently benefited immensely from a new spring but its very old and was super weak.

Really there aren't any other springs that should weaken enough to warrant a swap in a Kahr. The striker spring and the trigger bar spring should last a very long long time. No harm in having a set on hand in case but not likely to ever need them.

ripley16
05-31-2013, 02:25 PM
I look at the spring question from two separate views. Is the gun a range gun or for protection? Range guns go until they need fixing. Carry guns gets routine recoil spring changes according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

I agree with the range 1200 to 1500 for the Kahrs. This is what many people have reported as being the answer Kahr gives to this question.

Bawanna
05-31-2013, 02:33 PM
I agree also with the range gun / carry gun scenario. I shoot my carry guns at least a mag full or two at every range trip which due to the way things are isn't as frequent as I would like.
I do think that I'm still frequent enough to detect any issues. One more reason to keep springs on hand which I'm somewhat negligent about myself.

I also believe a range trip is in order immediately following a spring change to make sure it's working properly and help with the designed spring set.
Sometimes a new spring will actually cause minor issues for a little bit.

JimC
05-31-2013, 02:44 PM
I asked this very question of Jay @ Kahr CS awhile back.
Here is his answer to me.

Good afternoon. Thank you for the question. If the firearm is used as
a carry weapon, we would recommend changing the recoil spring every
1200-1500 rounds or every couple of years (whichever comes first) as
preventative maintenance. If this firearm is just used for range use, we
would recommend changing it whenever you start to see failure to feed or
return to battery issues. I hope this information helps.

sincerely,
Jay
Kahr Customer Service

Alfonse
05-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Well, that means I am a bit behind in changing the recoil spring.

gi1964
05-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Great answers! Since I do carry my CM9, I will look at changing it out around 1500 rounds. I am about 750-1000 now. (This makes me realize I should do a better job of keeping track of the rounds through each gun)

Thanks

Bawanna
05-31-2013, 03:14 PM
That's the hardest part for me. With multiple guns, son usually with me and drawing from the same ammo supply it's darn hard to remember exactly how much goes through what.

I gave up long ago.

I used to try and keep my ammo in lots for reloading, so I would know how many times a case had been fired or trimmed or whatever. Gave up on that long ago too.

At an indoor range with brass all over the floor it just doesn't work. I tried color coding, all kinds of stuff. No more. I just look it over good and load it up again if it looks ok.

Fodder
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM
This is a great question and one I wonder about. I also wonder, with high round counts on PM9's, what parts people have had to change in addition to springs. I'd be interested in seeing Jocko chime in on this.

RB

Sgt01
05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
On my carry CM9 and CW9 I plan to change recoil springs every 1000 rounds. Inexpensive insurance. Now... on my P380, that's a different story. If I don't change the springs between 250-300 rounds, I start having failure to return to battery issues. This is on a gun that has almost 800 rounds through it. I think Kahr needs to beef up the P380 springs a bit. The springs shouldn't need to be switched out every 250-300 rounds for the gun to work properly.

jocko
05-31-2013, 04:11 PM
This is a great question and one I wonder about. I also wonder, with high round counts on PM9's, what parts people have had to change in addition to springs. I'd be interested in seeing Jocko chime in on this.

RB

go wtih the "ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. MY PMJ9 with over 32K out of it has seen recoilsprings changes, One slide lock lever spring (due to y fokking it up). I changedmy striker spring to 5# at the git go and have never visited that area again. I use exclusively that clean out hole. I have changed mag springs and use the 5% estra strength wolffs springs for that. I had one cracked follower that never gave an issue until I took the mag apart and it fell out in peaces. I do feel the other kahrs springs need nuttin replaced. The trigger bar spring should never be an issue. It really doesn't do alot for strss. Kahrs are IMO very maintenance free. buy ur ecoil springs from wolffs, they are lower in price and now to the recoil springs that wolffs shows for their pm9 will fit any m9 and cm9 beit old or new style slide. I think we under estimate springs, and more than likely really don't know what makes a spring good or bad. Many here take a spring out and compare it to a new one and see the length difference and assume it is worn out. that is incorrect. Any new recoilspring is gonna be longer than the one in the gun, as one has now taken its desinged set and the new one is about togo through that process. Kahr recoil springs are for me stout.When u starthaving some issue sthat u didnt have before, the first thing I wuld change would be new recoil springs.:Amflag2:

My K9 has over 6K rounds and oly the recoil spring has beenchanged. It also has the 5# striker spring. recoil springs are very low in cost, so IMO u cannot over due replacement of them either. Forum ur own schedule according to how u shoot etc and just stick with it. Kahrs suggestion is probalby a median suggestion to. No doubth they will go 3K with ease. Keep ur carry gun tuned and ready to go all the time. Ur range gun is different...

Alfonse
06-08-2013, 08:13 PM
No Jocko, I did not buy the little girl. But, after reading this thread, I thought what the hell, I've got new recoil springs and new magazine springs. They're cheap too. I'm at over 3 years and over 1600 or so rounds in my PMJ9, so I changed the recoil springs and the magazine spring.

Reloading that magazine was something! It was probably that way once before, but I sure don't remember it. Getting the recoil spring assembly back in and locked into the barrel was tougher too.

My pistol has never missed a beat. So, don't change your springs if you want your Kahr to be easy to take down.

Just sayin.:)

33roadwarrior33
06-09-2013, 01:50 PM
I've got a cm40 and have to replace the spring, now, at 800 rounds. Some people say .40 is harder on it than 9mm I guess. That and micropistol springs get more wear than their full size cousins.

JimC
06-09-2013, 03:03 PM
IMO, changing out a recoil assembly on any pistol that is carried for self defense is cheap insurance so you know that the pistol will work when called upon.
I have no problem spending $23 + shipping for a complete Kahr OEM unit every 1200 - 1500 rds. I have 3 in inventory right now.
The MSRP of my PM9 is over $900, $23 is a drop in the bucket. ;)
I don't cut corners when it comes to my EDC gun working properly.

Alfonse
06-10-2013, 08:40 PM
after installing the new recoil and magazine springs. Went to the range yesterday and it ran like usual. The UpLula helped take care of the loading with the new mag spring. I didn't have one of those for the first few years. I must have been tougher when my PM9 was new.

gm412
06-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Ok I have been negligent, 2500 + rounds through bg and occasional primary carry PM9 and I have only oiled. Better get a new spring.