PDA

View Full Version : CW9 range report...questions.

Evi1joe
06-12-2013, 09:40 PM
This was her first official range session (last time she shot 100rds, but hadn't been lubed up and I had to use the slide-release--not that there was any issues...but now she's broken in and slingshot works fine).
I shot-->
30rds of 147gr Federal HST with no problems,
50rds of Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ with no problems,
50rds of Federal Champion 115gr FMJ with no problems.
Finally, I put 20rds more of 147gr Federal HST through it--with no problems.

NOTE: I DID have the mag drop once after a first round--I think it probably wasn't fully seated. Anything to check for? Ideas? Probably nothing--was in the 2nd or 3rd mag, and didn't happen with another 17-18 mag-insertion/firing.

ALSO: I noticed it was shooting a bit high at 15Y. Like by about 2 inches. I don't THINK it was me, because it was doing it even when braced on the vertical-side of the shooting lane (which usually results in good accuracy) and braced on the horizontal platform. I HAD put 250rds through an AUG and 77rds through a Ruger LCP, so I was a bit shaky, but I still think it shoots high. The first time I shot her, I just put all 100rds into a berm and only occasionally aimed at dirt-clogs...it was 30-40Y away, so I didn't really care about accuracy...just reliability/break-in.
What do you think? Sights, gun or me?

yqtszhj
06-13-2013, 07:18 AM
On the mag drop, I had that happen in the beginning. I think it was me not seating the mag properly or I hit the mag release. It hasn't happened in a long time now.

On the sights, I think it's probably you getting used to the sights. With mine I have to put the dot right on top of the bar. Just my thought though.

espresso
06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
NOTE: I DID have the mag drop once after a first round--I think it probably wasn't fully seated. Anything to check for? Ideas? Probably nothing--was in the 2nd or 3rd mag, and didn't happen with another 17-18 mag-insertion/firing.

Keep an eye on it.
I had it happen to me multiple times on one range trip. I had just sprayed some CLP up in the mag release during the previous cleaning and that MAY have contributed to it.....I don't do that any more :2rolleyes:

Kahr sent me a new mag release and a new mag release spring(no charge)and I've shot maybe 3 hundred or so rounds since and never repeated.

jocko
06-13-2013, 09:24 AM
This was her first official range session (last time she shot 100rds, but hadn't been lubed up and I had to use the slide-release--not that there was any issues...but now she's broken in and slingshot works fine).
I shot-->
30rds of 147gr Federal HST with no problems,
50rds of Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ with no problems,
50rds of Federal Champion 115gr FMJ with no problems.
Finally, I put 20rds more of 147gr Federal HST through it--with no problems.

ALSO: I noticed it was shooting a bit high at 15Y. Like by about 2 inches. I don't THINK it was me, because it was doing it even when braced on the vertical-side of the shooting lane (which usually results in good accuracy) and braced on the horizontal platform. I HAD put 250rds through an AUG and 77rds through a Ruger LCP, so I was a bit shaky, but I still think it shoots high. The first time I shot her, I just put all 100rds into a berm and only occasionally aimed at dirt-clogs...it was 30-40Y away, so I didn't really care about accuracy...just reliability/break-in.
What do you think? Sights, gun or me?

2"high at 15Y, wow live with it my friend, that is good shootin. These ain't target guns, with that looooong trigger system. My advice is to practice at 7 yards and get fast and good at that distance. Play at 15 yards if u so desire but train at 7 yards. I would not mess with anything, for thatis vbery good shootin. Not sure what ur think you should be getting at 15 yards..:amflag:

The magazine thing, problaby was u did not have it seated all theway. A good way to check that is to look at the right side.that releawse whenin the magazine should be flushwith the grip, exactly like it looks without a magazinein thegun. If it sticks out a tad, then it has nbot locked up correctly.

Evi1joe
06-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it was 2" high ONLY when I was braced and steady as possible. My "group" at 15Y shooting offhand, and sometimes one-handed, was a 5-6" circle (ETA: more like a 8-9" circle now that i look at a target), about 4-5" above the bullseye, and maybe an inch to the left. Just didnt seem as good as I'd hoped...

My Kahr P9 years ago, was the only gun I've ever shot what I call a "magazine review group" with--once. At 25Y, I shot four holes that were all touching, aiming at one of the side tabs from a Corbon Pow-r-ball box. Normally I shot groups at 15-25Y that are centered in the center of the target, EVEN IF they're 15-16" in diameter.

I do most shooting at 3-7Y, then usually move back to 25Y for fun....but the 15Y range was the only one open yesterday (they're redoing the other ranges or something--maybe because right behind the berm is the "members only" rifle range, and I've heard a lot of bullets whiz zing and snapping overhead on that range (hopefully they're making the berm higher or something).