PDA

View Full Version : CW380....honest pocket gun discussion

BADGER
06-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Fellas -

Yes, I've searched (and found). I've read. I've heard all sides. But I want to approach the mouse gun question from a different angle.

I have a P9 and P45 that make the rotation as my EDC. Although I have a pocket holster for the P9, I don't use it and carry IWB. It occurred to me that I'm really missing a mouse gun I can slip into my pocket for early morning dog walks, biking, etc. Something truly tiny and light that I don't have to 'suit up' for.

Obviously I love Kahr for carry guns. I love the design and build quality. That being said, I have first hand experience with them being hit-and-miss. My P9 has been stone-cold accurate and reliable since round one. My P45 was a mess from the factory, with an incorrect rifling leade that made every round fail to go into battery and ejection a crap shoot. No way the thing was fired/QC'd at the factory. It's been back and now it's fine.

So I would consider the CW380 a roll of the dice. Then again, I would also consider the LCP and P3AT a roll of the dice. Reliability problems seem inherent to some degree in these guns. I do understand that the LCP and P3AT and fairly miserable to shoot, but the Kahr like their other calibers is just fine (internet wisdom here, no personal experience, but widely reported).

What I'm getting at...is it really worth NOT buying the cheapest option, the P3AT, when who the heck knows what you're really going to get? Does it make sense to carry a mouse gun at all instead of a taser or spray, especially considering possible reliability issues and the severe limitations of the .380 round out of a 2.5 inch barrel?

Discuss please...

XDGenerate
06-13-2013, 08:50 AM
I've got a CM9 in my pocket right now. I rotate from there to an OWB holster. Either works great. I know you were talking 380 but this is just another option.

XDGenerate
06-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Oh, and I absolutely hate Kel-Tec guns. Hunks of junk in my opinion. My uncle has one right now that has been in for FTF problems 3 times.. They are not offering a new gun and it has the same issues every time he gets it back. Not worth the pain.

jocko
06-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Oh, and I absolutely hate Kel-Tec guns. Hunks of junk in my opinion. My uncle has one right now that has been in for FTF problems 3 times.. They are not offering a new gun and it has the same issues every time he gets it back. Not worth the pain.

myu 3kelteks went back a total of 16 times,ur uncle has a ways to go, IMO

XDGenerate
06-13-2013, 10:11 AM
So what you're saying is, They are true quality firearms worth trusting your life to.. lol

jocko
06-13-2013, 10:51 AM
oh definitely, back when I went through all that sh!t with my kel teks, they were the only gamme on the block. as soon as runger came out with their kel teck copy I knew it would be a gun that worked and then even they had to recall 50K of them as they copied to uch of kel teks crappy design and had to redue them. But the Ruger was just a much better finished gun and once they got their bugs out of it I wouldhave trusted that gun for sure. I was just not a pleasant gun to shoot IMO but most all of these sub, micro guns are not pleasant. Nuttin tohold on to. My P380 gave some issues and had to go back but of allthe 380's I have owned it was by far the most accurate and the most fun to shoot. I gave it to my son for my pMJ9 can go damn near anywhere the P380 did and I trust the PMJ9 far more than my P380. plus it is allabout fire power to.

JFootin
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
You're missing the best alternative to the CW380: the Taurus 738 TCP. It has a slide lock and locks back on the last round, and it has a smooth, light trigger that I like better than the Kahr trigger because it has a dependable stage near the end of travel so I can take up the slack, refine my aim and then fire. I haven't priced the P3AT, but my TCP is the plain blued version and I got it for well under $200. I have found it to be a quality firearm and, BTW, it has a lifetime warranty.

http://img1.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/495/media/images/Taurus_738_TCP.jpg

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/56/10154656.jpg?is=500,500

Bill K
06-13-2013, 12:13 PM
The .380, IMHO, is capable of saving your butt [PM sent]. That being said I much prefer to pocket carry my PM9 over my P3AT.

kcs1
06-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Take a look at a Masterpiece Arms Protector 380. All steel (but only about 13 oz. loaded), same size as a Seecamp, decent trigger, reliable and can be bought for about $300.00 or less.

hardluk1
06-13-2013, 01:19 PM
I carry my cm9 as a pocket pistol and iwb from a pair of larger kahrs but the taurus TCP maybe the best dollar spent for a micro 380 when something smaller is needed. We have 2 of them and both are more than accurate for there size and seem to shoot everthing I have tried in them. Trigger is better than kahrs at 4lb's and is a DA type trigger also weight is under 10oz

BADGER
06-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Got me there - I forgot all about the TCP738. I've always liked those, and I hear a whole lot of good things about them. That may be the answer. Thanks for reminding me about those. The Truth About Guns site has a recent review of one and its basically glowing. Those guys pull no punches either.

Do you know offhand if the 738 is +P rated? I'd like to get as much mustard as is reasonably possible behind that round.

gunshinestateCW9
06-13-2013, 05:56 PM
I have an LCP that I cc a lot. It's not fun at the range(not y I bought it) but it has been 100% reliable for me. It's by far the easiest to conceal thus being easiest to carry. GL

dirtkicker
06-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Take a look at a Masterpiece Arms Protector 380. All steel (but only about 13 oz. loaded), same size as a Seecamp, decent trigger, reliable and can be bought for about $300.00 or less.

I have been interested in one of these myself. Do you have firsthand experience with one?

dirtkicker
06-13-2013, 06:22 PM
In regards to the origional post. I have owned a Ruger LCP and while it was reliable I couldn't shoot it worth a darn. The trigger pull is a mile long and I could never get used to it. I traded it for a DB380 which was a sweet shooter, when it actually functioned. I ended up trading it in on a Kahr CM9 which has proven to be totally reliable and a very accurate shooter. I will not be trading it. However, that being said I find it too big for my pocket. I was pretty set on a Taurus TCP but now Beretta is coming out with the Pico. http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-pico-380/ The MPA 380 interests me also. Lots of choices.

kwh
06-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Just another thought from a different angle. Dog walks, I am more concerned being attacked by a dog than a person. Personally I would not be confident that a 90 gr. H.P. from a .380 would have the penetration needed for a 100 pound Rottweiler. I would rather have pepper spray or a larger /heavier bullet. On a bicycle= different story.

codegeek
06-13-2013, 07:07 PM
If it makes you feel better, my Davis Industries P380 is stone cold accurate at 7 yards. And I love my LCP. I will will continue to shoot her every couple of months to make sure her record of flawlessness continues. As a side note, I have started carrying my CW9, both in pocket and shoulder holster.

nuke
06-13-2013, 07:46 PM
My wife just ordered a S&W BodyGuard380 as her new carry after looking over the one that my ex-brother-in-law carries. It makes my CW9 look like I'm carrying a cannon.

Had the CW380 been available by this time, we might have had 2 ordered. IMO, I'd be more likely carrying either 380 due to it being that much easier to conceal comfortably. If 6 or 7 rounds of 380 isn't dropping the BG then the stench from the load in my pants might.

CougarRed
06-13-2013, 08:36 PM
You're missing the best alternative to the CW380: the Taurus 738 TCP. It has a slide lock and locks back on the last round, and it has a smooth, light trigger that I like better than the Kahr trigger because it has a dependable stage near the end of travel so I can take up the slack, refine my aim and then fire. I haven't priced the P3AT, but my TCP is the plain blued version and I got it for well under $200. I have found it to be a quality firearm and, BTW, it has a lifetime warranty.

http://img1.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/495/media/images/Taurus_738_TCP.jpg

Lots of TCP owners love them. However, anyone considering a TCP needs to consider one issue:

At page 20 of the TCP Owners Manual (http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/manual-TCP.pdf), Taurus warns:

"After a shot is fired, the trigger must be allowed to move fully forward. If the trigger is pulled before the trigger mechanism fully resets (two “clicks”) the hammer may or may not fire the cartridge."

Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPqBwUIr6k) showing what can happen if you short stroke the trigger after the first click.

Also, the Owners Manual at page 8 says dry firing the TCP is "bad for the firearm." Just get snap caps.

igolfat8
06-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Tell me more about the trigger. I thought I had seen a video where the 738 trigger had a flaw if you squeeze off the first round, hold the follow through, let out until the trigger resets and if you try to shoot another round from that point, then the trigger failed to function? I thought it said you must release the trigger ALL the way out before it would shoot the next shot? What is your experience?

dsk
06-13-2013, 10:38 PM
All handguns are the result of compromise, and even more so with these tiny .380 pistols. Were talking guns that are the same size and less weight than the old .25 vest pocket autos of old, only with the .380ACP (a medium-caliber cartridge in many parts of the world) shoehorned to fit inside them. They're marvels of engineering, but they also pay a hefty price when it comes to recoil, practical accuracy, and also reliability. I haven't heard of a single model where 90% of owners report flawless reliability worthy of a full-sized service pistol. The LCP seems to have the largest number of satisfied users, but I note (with no small amount of cynicism) that most of the glowing reports of reliability are from folks who've shot only 200 rounds or so through theirs. Some have gone more and reported no problems, and others have shots theirs less and had nothing but trouble. The Kahr owners seem to be the same way, some have had no trouble while others have been pulling their hair out. I also have a Kel-Tec (P32), and it was nearly perfect for the first 500 rounds but now seems to choke a lot at range sessions. Unfortunately I don't think the perfect micro-.380 exists, as they are attempts to do the impossible (serious stopping power in a true pocket-sized package) using the benefit of modern technology to accomplish what simply couldn't be done 25 years ago. The better ones (like the Kahr) are great examples of today' gunmaking, but they all have to be kept in perspective and their limitations duly noted.

jpshaw
06-14-2013, 05:51 AM
I wanted to be able to pocket carry the CM9 really bad but it just doesn't work for me. Yes, I've heard the Tauras is the least expensive of the polymer .380 pocket pistols. My choice is the Keltec P3AT. If eliminating the slide lock was a result of tricking it out to be the lightest then so be it. It has been 100% for me with everything I've fed it. I own a Don Hume back pocket holster for jeans and an Uncle Mikes #1 for front pocket carry in shorts. I don't own a single belt holster for it and never will. If it goes on the belt it will be my P9.

muggsy
06-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Life is a crap shoot. I had a P3AT that never incurred a single failure in more than 500 rounds. It wasn't a pleasure to shoot, but then it wasn't meant for target shooting. It was accurate enough at self defense distances even with its lousy sights and trigger. I sold it because it wasn't a P380.

JFootin
06-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Tell me more about the trigger. I thought I had seen a video where the 738 trigger had a flaw if you squeeze off the first round, hold the follow through, let out until the trigger resets and if you try to shoot another round from that point, then the trigger failed to function? I thought it said you must release the trigger ALL the way out before it would shoot the next shot? What is your experience?

CougarRed explained it well. I have a Kahr CM9 and a J frame, so I am used to letting the trigger all the way out after each shot. Therefore, I didn't have to retrain myself. I recently bought a Walther PPQ which has a short reset, and I am having to retrain myself to use it as intended for fast followup shots.

CougarRed
06-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I have a Kahr CM9 and a J frame plus the TCP

LOL - I have a P9 Covert and a J Frame plus the LCP. Two peas in a pod.

I'm sure there are probably thousands like us running around who turned to the .380 searching for something: 1) lighter (and therefore more likely to always carry) than a 21 ounce 9mm (fully loaded) and 2) more fun to shoot/practice with than a snubbie.

jocko
06-14-2013, 04:11 PM
my PMJ9 fully loaded with corbon power ball and the custom work done to it. loaded weighs in at 18 ounces. Some slide melt, grip stippling/reduction....

sharpetop
06-15-2013, 02:11 PM
myu 3kelteks went back a total of 16 times,ur uncle has a ways to go, IMO

I remember all your problems with your Kel-Tecs when we were members of KTOG. Didn't we have a discussion about throwing one of them in the Wabash river?

I've owned three Kel=Tecs, now down to a P32, which I gave to my dad. [It's been flawless] I like my two Kahrs a whole lot better. I've also got an LCP [flawless] but the trigger sucks. A P/CW380 may be in my future.

Tomac
06-15-2013, 04:34 PM
I think dsk has the right of it. The laws of physics cannot be cheated, you can't make a micro .380/9mm w/o tradeoffs in reliability, recoil, features, accuracy, etc.
I used to pocket carry a Beretta INOX Tomcat for deep CCW (100% reliable w/FMJ after many hundreds of rds) but I wanted more power than a .32 (9mm preferred, .380 as my absolute floor).
After much research I realized my "perfect pocket pistol" just doesn't exist and may not ever exist.
So, the CM9 is my compromise; adequate power/control/accuracy/reliability but just a tad big/heavy for true pocket carry (might have gone w/the P380 if the bugs were worked out).
I'm currently experimenting w/the Covert Carrier combo grip/clip as a holsterless way of carrying the CM9 when I simply can't carry my preferred S&W M&P 9c.
Tomac

jocko
06-15-2013, 04:44 PM
but the sad part of alot of the micro guns is also shooter error. kinda har dto pinpoint that but I can remember talking to a keltek tech service man, who told me that 50%of all their guns returned, there was nuttin wrong. My wife could not shoot the 32 kt when I bought it for her. I could but she could not. so often times the gun gets blamed for the shooters error, as with so many of the small ass semis.

The shooter and gun have to mate up perfectly with these small framed semi's or other wise one will get frustrated. Anutter reaosn that in my gun dealer days I recommend for a woman and I still do today a wheel gun, she an't gonna limp a wheel gun that is fur sure. Just sayin

dsk
06-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Sorry, but so-called "shooter error" issues constitute a factory defect as well as far as I'm concerned. If I have to hold the gun a certain way for it to work properly then it's of no use except as a range gun. When you've been knocked on your ass and using once arm to protect yourself against your assailant's strikes while using your other to pull your pistol out of your pocket and shoot him it's kinda hard to be concerned with limp-wristing and holding it correctly. Part of my function testing of every carry gun is to run a few mags through it using my weak hand only, holding it as loosely as I dare without dropping it. If it doesn't work unless held with a locked wrist it's not going into any dark places with me.

dirtkicker
06-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Sorry, but so-called "shooter error" issues constitute a factory defect as well as far as I'm concerned. If I have to hold the gun a certain way for it to work properly then it's of no use except as a range gun. When you've been knocked on your ass and using once arm to protect yourself against your assailant's strikes while using your other to pull your pistol out of your pocket and shoot him it's kinda hard to be concerned with limp-wristing and holding it correctly. Part of my function testing of every carry gun is to run a few mags through it using my weak hand only, holding it as loosely as I dare without dropping it. If it doesn't work unless held with a locked wrist it's not going into any dark places with me.

I agree with this 100%. A self defense weapon must be able to fire when limp wristed.

jocko
06-16-2013, 04:34 PM

wanna tell Glock that then, as that is more common on glocks than one thinks. If a person has no clue as to how a semi auto has to work, as far as butting the recoil of the gun so that it ejects and feeds properly, then that is shooter error or ignorance, but shooter error is a kinder statement. If u wanna hold a gun with just two fingers and think it is gonna operate like u want then I think one will have more issues than not. Not trying to argue the point as u know how to shoot but so many that shoot a semi don't understand the principals behind it.

good for u that u have zero issues but when one person has issues with a gun and everyone else has none with that same gun, then it is not defective but it is also not the gun for that person either. Limp wristing is not a myth. Just sayin

dsk
06-17-2013, 12:04 AM
I know that limp wristing isn't a myth. What I'm saying is that I won't trust a gun that requires a locked wrist to function correctly. Limp wristing wasn't much a problem until all of these lightweight polymer frames came out and saturated the market. You can be sure that a Marine fighting for his life in the bottom of a foxhole with a Chicom soldier on top of him didn't have time to make sure he was shooting his .45 with a locked wrist. Neither do I. I have only three polymer-framed handguns in my collection- a Glock 19, a Kel-Tec P32, and the Kahr P380. Fortunately they've all passed my "girlie hold" test each time I've tried them. If they didn't I wouldn't trust them for defense, and since they're not worth keeping as safe queens I probably wouldn't keep them around period if that were the case.

Armybrat
06-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Traded off my 1st generation KT P3AT for the CW45 over a year ago, but kept my reliable hard chrome P32 because it never has had an issue. It's a safe queen, but if my granddaughter ever decides to carry, I'll give it to her.

My Ruger LCP is carried 90% of the time. Never has failed at the range.....although one time when I drew the little thing from the Desantis Nemisis, it threw off a dust bunny of lint when it ejected the first round. lol

jocko
06-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Traded off my 1st generation KT P3AT for the CW45 over a year ago, but kept my reliable hard chrome P32 because it never has had an issue. It's a safe queen, but if my granddaughter ever decides to carry, I'll give it to her.

My Ruger LCP is carried 90% of the time. Never has failed at the range.....although one time when I drew the little thing from the Desantis Nemisis, it threw off a dust bunny of lint when it ejected the first round. lol

wife many moonsago, I had bought her a KT P32 and she just had issues with it, but when I shot it, it was perfectj. I knew betterthant osend it back as nuttin was wrong with thegun.he juyst did not mate up to the gun at all.she had no issues with any of my Kahrs or my Glock or my M &P. I sur e could not blame the KT32 for her error...:Amflag2:

DKD
06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
I have been in the combat arms ground pounder airborne type and have shot guns for over 50 years and I have to agree completely with old JOCKO here. Sorry guys or at least you all call yourself guys....I mean are you for real....lets get serious for a second, you can't tell me that are man in a life or death confrontation is going to grip his weapon like a girlie man, that ain't reality folks. All semi autos to one extent or another need something to push back against to function properly, just the small semis are just more prone to poor or none existent form. Geeze...man up and get a pair and I quote "JOCKO" just sayin.

jpshaw
06-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Any pocket gun is going to be a compromise. Even the CM or PM9. My EDC is 2002 P9. Next in line is a Glock 19. However, when summer gets here and it's cargo shorts or khakis and TUCKED in shirt the only thing I have that doesn't make me feel like I've just shoplifted a grapefruit is my P3AT. Fun to shoot, No way. You can only get two fingers on it, actually one and a half. There is no slide lock back but it's the lightest .380 out there. I would reach for any other handgun I own for SD but if its all I have it beats a rock or a knife. BTW mine has been 100% with everything so far. I do not own a single belt holster for it and only pocket carry it. If a gun goes to the belt it will be my P9 or G19 but this whole thread is an "honest pocket gun discussion". That's my choice for my pocket carry. Trust me, I really wanted the CM9 to work out but for me, it didn't.

RickC.
06-22-2013, 09:24 PM
I’ll weigh in here.

I have carried concealed for over 25 years now, and over time have carried a 5 shot .38, a 1911 clone, a Ketec P11, a Makarov, and even for a short while—a Tokarev. Speaking directly to the question posed in this thread, the best solution I have used to date is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/RickC1/DSCF0248_zps042d3eb1.jpg[/URL]

Though I have a Kahr CW45 that I like very much and plan for that to be my primary carry in the months where I’ll be wearing a jacket (and when I sort out a belt holster I am comfortable with), this Keltec .380 in front pocket carry is with me most of the time when I leave the house.

I’ve had this P3AT for 6 or 7 years now and have over 1000 rounds through it—the only hiccups it has ever had after break-in have been with lumpy handloads or with steel or aluminum cases when the gun has gotten dirty. With brass case factory loads (and my handloads after I started using a factory crimp die) it has been 100%- that includes the various defense loads I have put through it: Federal Personal Defense, Hornady Critical Defense (my current carry load) and Buffalo Bore JHP +P (which are NOT fun to shoot in this little gun!).

The first 4 years I used a DeSantis Nemesis, which was OK,-- but it had a tendency to let the gun rotate forward in my pocket and in time got slick enough that it would come out with when I drew the gun. After talking to a few people I found a local maker who made this Rough Side Out leather pocket holster—and it’s nothing special, similar things can be found in lots of places—it was $50 bucks, which was a bit pricey for a pocket holster, but I promise you that gun does not move until I want it to.

I was reluctant to buy this Keltec after owning a P11 9mm when they first came out and having to send it back to the factory 3 times—they eventually fixed it, but I didn’t have any confidence in it and sold it off. Besides, the trigger was terrible.

This little P3AT has been great- and I have settled on what you see here: No magazine extensions, no slip on grip other than the one I made from a bike inner tube—and I tried all those— they either added bulk or made the pistol print. They did make life more comfortable at the range, but this little pistol is for deep concealment—a totally different set of criteria.

Is this the most fun pistol to shoot I have ever owned? No, not even close. I have a Bersa Thunder .380 and it is interesting to have them side-by-side at the range, shooting the same ammo. But if I need to arm myself for a trip to the store, a late night unexpected trip, or the like, I just slip this Keltec with the holster into my pocket from the dresser drawer and head out—no threading a holster onto a belt, no finding some other pants to wear to accommodate an IWB holster, no digging a vest or Hawaiian shirt from the closet to cover anything, none of that. It’s so light you don’t even know it’s there, and I am confident in its reliability. I could do the same thing with a 5 shot .38, but even the featherweights don’t just disappear into a pocket the way this does. I am a big fan of the JIT Slide (and have one for this, though I seldom use it) and have carried most of the pistols I listed at the top in one of these. But for just slip in and go, this is the best thing I have used.

I’d still like a CW380 though…

Tomac
06-23-2013, 06:27 AM
The wife has her new P380 and she likes it a lot as a replacement for her Sig P238.
Yes, it's small enough for me to pocket carry and I definitely understand the appeal or need of carrying that way (I miss the size of my old INOX Tomcat in its DeSantis 'Trickster' pocket holster).
If I had no other options we'd probably have two P380's right now but I went w/the CM9 and while it's a tad big for me to pocket carry (YMMV), I've found that w/the Covert Carrier combo grip/clip it carries/conceals AIWB just fine for me w/a major power increase over the .380 w/o having to use an actual holster:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/P6150005.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tomac/media/P6150005.jpg.html)
Tomac

nuke
06-23-2013, 11:26 AM
I would have liked to have waited for the CW380 but Kahr kept pushing the roll-out date back. My wife saw a friend's S&W BG 380 and really loved the feel so we picked one up to replace her wheel gun. Although she has issues racking my CW9, she has no problem with the BG380 and had great groupings her first time at the range with it. If the CW380 doesn't come out soon, we may soon own 2 BG380's. It makes my CW9 look like a cannon; 5.25" OA length, 4.1" high, .75" wide. 11.85 oz WITH the factory laser.

JFootin
06-23-2013, 11:53 AM
I have a Taurus 738 TCP 380 that I am very pleased with as a pocket size gun.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/P1010401.jpg

It is the only gun that is with me almost 100% of the time, sometimes as my BUG and at other times my primary. The reason is that it is so easily concealable, much easier than any other gun I own.

Actually, I don't pocket carry a lot, but I have holsters that work well when I do. They are Stays-Put Ultra Pocket Holsters (http://www.concealmentspecialties.com/products.html) and I have 3 of them for my TCP, CM9 and J-frame. Just $14.95 shipped and they work great for pocket and AIWB carry. As the name says, they stays put! :p I also have a couple of Desantis Nemesis holsters and an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster that I use in a variety of ways. And, I used to own an El Paso Pocket Max Horsehide Holster (http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-22-pocket-holsters.aspx) for my CM9 which worked especially well at not printing at all in my regular fit blue jeans when I was standing.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/images/Product/large/163.jpg

El Paso are one of the oldest holster makers in existence, and they know what they are doing. The holster moves when you draw the gun, but the hooks catch and prevent it from coming out with the gun.

gun papa
08-17-2013, 01:53 PM
I like the idea of the micro .380 concept. I have had an affection for small handguns since I was a kid. I used to carry a PPKS back in the mid 1990s. It was a heavy little gun, and did its job, but I have liitle love for guns with slide mounted controls. My Wife and I shopped around and looked at the S&W Bodyguard. The safety and laser controls were very small and hard to manipulate. I could imagine, not good under stress or duress.
Mt Wife has the P380. it is a great pocket gun once it gets broken in. I have carried a 5 shot, late 1970's, "pocket hammer" Charter Arms Undercover as my bug gun for some time now. I got it for a mere $50 at a moving sale, unfired. It is small, one pound, and packs a pretty good whallop.

I wish Glock made a pocket pistol. I am envious of the Wife's P380. So far I will have to make due with telling the Wife that I will break the gun in for her. I cannot see the justification for paying $600 for a .380.

jocko
08-17-2013, 03:07 PM
can ur wife hand racdk that P380 with no issues??? kudos toher if she can. Most can't

gun papa
08-17-2013, 03:53 PM
can ur wife hand racdk that P380 with no issues??? kudos toher if she can. Most can't
She can, but putting it in slide lock sans magazine is a little harder.

kwh
08-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Bought a 1st generation Kel-Tec P32 years ago. I saw no reason to update to a micro .380 due to all the talk of reliability issues and harsh recoil, when all the new models came out. Over 200 flawless rounds . When I would instinctively point and shoot I would hit about 8 inches low at 7 yards. My point & shoot was perfectly corrected by adding a Pachmayr palm- swell rubber grip. 9 shots as fast as I could pull the trigger Suddenly FTF every 3 rounds. Kel-Tec sent free replacement parts. Installed parts but did not fix the problem. Sent to factory $$$ by UPS. Factory replaced the entire frame at no charge. Checked for function=perfect. I still carry the .32 occasionally when my CM9 is too heavy. I trust the Kel-Tec to go bang every time, but I will not shoot it often anymore.

gunbunny
08-19-2013, 09:30 PM
I trust the Kel-Tec to go bang every time, but I will not shoot it often anymore.
It's a shame that you can't practice with your carry weapon because it is uncomfortable to shoot and/or may have a limited lifespan and round count.

Everything we do in life is about risk mitigation- choices that balance the bad things that may happen with the good things we expect for an outcome.

I wouldn't mind paying $600 for my primary carry pistol, if that was what I was going to stick with and that's all I was going to have for carry. If I wouldn't already have quite a few mini pistols around, I would definitely go for a P380. I mulled over the idea in my head to sell my MK9, but I kind of like it where it is...

Decisions, decisions.

codegeek
08-20-2013, 07:13 AM
the LCP has been fine for me. I don't have a problem shooting it. I agree with jFootin. You should give the Taurus 738 FS serious consideration.

ReManG
10-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I had a P3AT years back, it was a joy to carry. Shooting it the take-down pin backed out and while the recoil was more than a larger .380, it was manageable. I shot an LCP in the earlier version, went with an LCR in .38 instead. The idea of the P3AT stuck in my head, and when a friend had some problems with his traded on P380, I helped him out and became a P380 convert. Nice to shoot, well made and accurate..... Think I found my next purchase, or wait for the CW380 if my patience holds out...

East River Guide
10-09-2013, 08:14 PM
I have two of the new 2013 LCPs. I think of them as the AK-47s of my mouse guns. Not as precise or well made as my P380s but so far 100% reliable (and a slight fraction easier to pocket too).

berettabone
10-10-2013, 09:14 AM
I used to carry a Bodyguard semi................liked it a lot..............not a joy to shoot, but found it to be very reliable. Changed to a Kahr MK9.................if you can find a bug that is a larger caliber, at the same size, why carry a .380?

berettabone
10-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I have been in the combat arms ground pounder airborne type and have shot guns for over 50 years and I have to agree completely with old JOCKO here. Sorry guys or at least you all call yourself guys....I mean are you for real....lets get serious for a second, you can't tell me that are man in a life or death confrontation is going to grip his weapon like a girlie man, that ain't reality folks. All semi autos to one extent or another need something to push back against to function properly, just the small semis are just more prone to poor or none existent form. Geeze...man up and get a pair and I quote "JOCKO" just sayin.
It's why I carry an all steel MK9............if bad comes to worse, I can smack them in the head with it

igolfat8
10-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm still waiting on my CW380 that was ordered in January.... In the interim I picked up a TCP and want to offer a hearty thank you to JFootin for pointing me there. Its a great little BUG for the price.