PDA

View Full Version : P45 hamburger hand after range time....ideas?

BADGER
06-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Gents,

I got back from the range a while ago and fired my P45 (and a couple of others). During the 200-round break in with 230-gr ball ammo, my hand was pretty torn up, and I expected that. This time around I went to ensure proper functioning with my SD ammo, Federal 230-gr HST +P.

This is serious stuff, with a bunch more recoil than ball ammo. It straight-up hurt to fire 50 rounds of the stuff. Part of that is due to the serrations on the grip. My P9 is much less aggressive, but the P45 is a parmesan grater. My hand is again pretty wasted.

What to do? Should I sand it down? Try Talon grips? Who has done what with theirs to avoid palm shred?

jocko
06-13-2013, 04:50 PM
for range use,howabout just buying a pair of walmart bicycleriding gloves.they have some paddingin the palmarea and being they are fingerless,u get agood feel yet. Many just buy aninner tube and cut a section and slip it over. 200 rounds of 45 might indeed be a tuff session. againsome people's palms are tuffer skinned to, . One thing about sanding ist hat " u can't put it back on if u ever so desired, so for me that would be my last resort.

ripley16
06-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Wear a glove or put a grip sleeve, about $10, on your P45.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Gone/kahrwithhoguehandall.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/ripley16/media/Gone/kahrwithhoguehandall.jpg.html)

CJB
06-13-2013, 05:33 PM
no pictures of the hamburger hand?

Armybrat
06-13-2013, 06:34 PM
for range use,howabout just buying a pair of walmart bicycleriding gloves.they have some paddingin the palmarea and being they are fingerless,u get agood feel yet. .

That's exactly what I did for shootin' my CW45 and the little bitty Ruger LCP which has a sharp bark too.

Gave the left handed glove to my oldest son who is a lefty (left-handed that is, he's no commie).

phil413tx
06-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Wear a glove or put a grip sleeve, about $10, on your P45.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Gone/kahrwithhoguehandall.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/ripley16/media/Gone/kahrwithhoguehandall.jpg.html)

Ripley has got it....this is what I like to use on my Kahr's...it makes a world of difference! You can buy the hogue grips on amazon

yqtszhj
06-13-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm sick. Any grating or pain reminds me of the joy of shooting. Gimmie the pain.

muggsy
06-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Men used to be men. You wouldn't catch me shooting with bicycle gloves. It's shooting gloves or nuttin. Callouses build characted my old man used to tell me. Man up you sissies. :) (Note to moderators: This was intended as humor. No need to ban me.)

Armybrat
06-14-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm sick. Any grating or pain reminds me of the joy of shooting. Gimmie the pain.

I'll bet you like to IWB appendix carry yours. :p

DougGuy
06-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Well, it's like this.. They make these for defensive carry, and the cheese grater grip performs well, I have to admit. I would rather have mine sharply checkered under a defensive situation, so just buy a shooting glove or use a cycling glove, golf glove, while at the range under extended firing conditions.

The one thing I did do, was round off just the tops of the first few rows where the mag release button is, because I carry IWB with no holster and that took care of the itch. I left the slide lock alone because it imprints nicely into my skin and helps keep the gun from moving around.

I have to use a shooting glove today, with 350rds loaded, because the upper corner of the back of the grip frame digs in and takes the hide off my thumb. I would rather sand it smooth and more rounded but, after these 350rds, it will be carried more and fired less so I can live with it and just wear a glove.

wyntrout
06-14-2013, 08:51 AM
I sometimes resort to a pair of my old USAF flying gloves with the fingertips cut off as a shooting glove. Before I shot my PM45 I saw those cheese graters and felt the sharp prominent nibs, and knew that I needed some kind of protection against what you've experienced. I had an unused 1.75" bike tube that I cut up to make grip covers. The first was a little small and went on my PM9. The next I cut a little longer and adjusted it for fit. It toned down the nibs and gave me a tactile feel similar to my K9's rubber grips, which I think are perfect.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7398&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1359086741

The 1.75" tube works on all of the polymer Kahrs... even the P380's. Care needs to be taken when cutting the tube because there is talcum powder inside. Make sure the cover doesn't interfere with the mag catch on either side, and that the tube isn't so long that it interferes with magazine insertion or removal. The 1.75" tube is more apt to stay in place.

I recently got some +P Underwood 230-grain Gold Dots and needed a glove as well. THAT is stout stuff, but ammo choices dictated buying what was available!

Some people just like to buy stuff for their toys... I do, too, but I like the look and feel of the tube grips... and "free" doesn't hurt, either! I've made 7-8 and still have over half the tube for future covers!

Wynn:)

burdicda
06-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Bleeding blisters all over inside of palm

Bought and installed a houge handall jr on my cw45

smooth as glass now....

For $8.00 there is nothing you can do better for yourself

burdicda

FirstKahr
06-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Plus one for bicycle inertube. Works great on my P45.