PDA

View Full Version : Kahr 380 Malfunctions

notsopriddy
04-20-2010, 05:49 PM
I just purchased my first Kahr, P380, I have put 250 rds of ammo on three different days, the gun was cleaned after each use. I shot 100 rds today and I am still having malfunctions. No load situations, and also a round not loading in the barrel ( hung up from the magazine ). I have been using Monarch 94 grain ammo, It's not top quality ammo, should I try a hotter type of ammo. I love the guns craftsmanship and feel, but these malfunctions are making me aggravated. My friend showed up with a new Tarus 738 shot 50 rds and not one problem, I was embarrassed. Any suggestions?

jocko
04-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I have never shot monarch ammo, but I would think it should be OK. I would indeed try another brand if you can find one and test out ur theory. Also how about letting another person shoot this gun to verify that the issues are gun related and not possably shooter related. Eliminate any possabilities,

did you refer to the kahr tech section and hit on the proper prepping of your new kahr??there are some helpful tips there to try also.

don't give up the ship yet either. It is a good gun, actually a great gun, u might just have one with a bug in it. Check your recoil spring sto see that they are on correctly, flared ends towards the front of the slide.

I never want to accuse a person of possably limpwristing a gun either, but this is one thing that can happen with this tiny gun and you just don't know it is happening. that slide has to have some resistance in order to eject and reload a round, if the gun is rocking, moving, twisting in ur hand that resistance is lost. Again take no offense here, just eliminate the possabilities. Letting another good shooter can sorta test that theory out to.

Please do PM me if u have any questions ...

notsopriddy
04-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the response. I am going to let other shooters have a go with my Kahr tomorrow, I agree with you, I have been shooting for a while but not with these new small pocket pistols. I just cleaned and examined my gun everything looks OK, I will give your suggestion a try and also shoot some different ammo tomorrow. Again thanks

hsart
04-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I have never shot monarch ammo, but I would think it should be OK. I would indeed try another brand if you can find one and test out ur theory. Also how about letting another person shoot this gun to verify that the issues are gun related and not possably shooter related. Eliminate any possabilities,

did you refer to the kahr tech section and hit on the proper prepping of your new kahr??there are some helpful tips there to try also.

don't give up the ship yet either. It is a good gun, actually a great gun, u might just have one with a bug in it. Check your recoil spring sto see that they are on correctly, flared ends towards the front of the slide.

I never want to accuse a person of possably limpwristing a gun either, but this is one thing that can happen with this tiny gun and you just don't know it is happening. that slide has to have some resistance in order to eject and reload a round, if the gun is rocking, moving, twisting in ur hand that resistance is lost. Again take no offense here, just eliminate the possabilities. Letting another good shooter can sorta test that theory out to.

Please do PM me if u have any questions ...
Very good point about letting another shooter test it out if you think that there could be user error causing malfunctions.

jlottmc
04-20-2010, 09:01 PM
I've used that brand in my 308, yes its rifle, but not a problem.

Concerned Citizen
04-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I, too, shot my new P380 today. I shot 100 rounds of Winchester 92 gr fmj. I had read of others having problems with their P380's, but mine worked like a champ. I had one failure to completely eject, but no other problems. Then I shot 2 magazines of Speer Gold Dot 90 gr hollow points to make sure they would fire if needed. No problems there, either. I am happy with my new gun!

jlottmc
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Best thing, try different ammo, and lots of it.

notsopriddy
04-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the response, I'm headed to the range this afternoon, I have Winchester and hollow points, I will try the different ammo, and have other shooters fire of a few rounds. I will update tonight.

jlottmc
04-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Good call, more shooters too, then we can help more.