PDA

View Full Version : Trigger re-install - what's the trick?

whgraham
04-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Hello Folks,

Finished parkerizing my K9 tonight, and I've got it all back together with the exception of the trigger group. I'm trying not to swear as much these days, but I'm ready to throw that goal out the window.

There has GOT to be a trick with getting the trigger, spacer, spring, trigger bar back in there, I don't know about it. Can someone share their experiences in this area. I really do not want to send the frame back to Kahr for them to do it. I've been at it for 2 hours now, and I would very much appreciate some advice.

At least the parkerizing turned out great!

Bawanna
04-20-2010, 11:17 PM
I can't help ya but I'm curious about how it's done as well. My K40 I'm sure is similar and I'm sure the time will come when that trigger will have to come out if for no other reason than to say I did it.
I've looked at it and can see it will be a challenge. Hang around and be patient, I'm sure there are several folks here that have been there and have our answer. Give em a little time.

whgraham
04-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I would expect somebody has done this themselves before. I could ship it back to Kahr, but something seems silly about doing so.

I had a K40 at one point, and wish I still did. My K9 is an older one, and has the front strap checking done by Wilson Combat. I really like this gun, and thankfully the parkerizing job turned out really nice (by my standards, and it even being my first try at that finish).

Thanks.

Bawanna
04-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I would expect somebody has done this themselves before. I could ship it back to Kahr, but something seems silly about doing so.

I had a K40 at one point, and wish I still did. My K9 is an older one, and has the front strap checking done by Wilson Combat. I really like this gun, and thankfully the parkerizing job turned out really nice (by my standards, and it even being my first try at that finish).

Thanks.

Please feel free to post some brag photos of your finish job. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would love to see it.
No worries on that trigger between us we'll get that figured out. I think someone had a link to dissasembling the frame on these. I know there's one for the upper and I did that one with great success.

gb6491
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Hello Folks,

Finished parkerizing my K9 tonight, and I've got it all back together with the exception of the trigger group. I'm trying not to swear as much these days, but I'm ready to throw that goal out the window.

There has GOT to be a trick with getting the trigger, spacer, spring, trigger bar back in there, I don't know about it. Can someone share their experiences in this area. I really do not want to send the frame back to Kahr for them to do it. I've been at it for 2 hours now, and I would very much appreciate some advice.

At least the parkerizing turned out great!
As I imagine the assembly process is pretty close to that for a P45, it looks like you will need a "slave pin", tape, and a slightly modified screwdriver; scroll down to "Reassembly Tips" on the linked page for detailed instructions:
Disassembly/Reassembly Of the Kahr P45 Pistol (http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/handguns/Kahr-Pistol-Disassembly184-1.html)

I do some home parkerizing (http://gbrannon.bizhat.com/1911.htm) myself and always like to see how others work turns out; please post some photos of your K9.
Regards,
Greg

jlottmc
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I just had my 1911, and Enfield 2A done. Wish I had time and space to do more of that kind of stuff again.

whgraham
04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
As I imagine the assembly process is pretty close to that for a P45, it looks like you will need a "slave pin", tape, and a slightly modified screwdriver.

I do some home parkerizing (http://gbrannon.bizhat.com/1911.htm) myself and always like to see how others work turns out; please post some photos of your K9.
Regards,
Greg

Got it done. I did find that link, and referred to it some. Thanks.

Wow. You've really got to get it "just right". The trigger pops out of it's hole, just when you almost get the pin through the trigger, spring, and spacer. Or, you push on the spring and spacer, only to finally determine that the flat spot in the spacer's rim is not where it needs to be. Of course it doesn't help that the trigger spring flops around on the spacer. How about the make the ID of that spring fit slightly snug on the spacer i.e. like a recoil guide rod. Then at least this troublesome pair of parts might act enough like one part that you can get them on a little easier.

I'll try to get some pictures up. This was my first parkerizing effort. I love doing it, and certainly learned some lessons along the way. One lesson, after my first try, was that parkerizing it tough stuff. It doesn't some off easily. The second was that TCP/brake cleaner is not as good of a degreasing process as is going straight from blasting to the solution. Other smaller lessons as well, but I hope to do this again.

I found some great solution, at a good price, and excellent customer service and support.

Hope this finish holds up, and that I get the opportunity to do some more. If this finish fails to hold up, I'll send this gun back to Kahr and pay for them to refinish it as factory ($125).

Thanks All.