PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a Doublestack Kahr?

Tomac
06-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Wasn't sure which subforum to post this in, so mods feel free to move it to wherever you feel is appropriate. :)

Is there any interest in a doublestack Kahr?
Kahrs are available in many different sizes but all are singlestack (which I understand as aiding concealment).
If we're talking the larger-framed Kahrs, it seems to me making one doublestack isn't going to significantly alter concealability (problematic w/large-frame pistols to begin with) but would allow it to compete directly with other doublestack pistols while offering lower weight and that great Kahr trigger.

So, good idea or should I stick my head in a woodchipper? :confused:
Tomac

CJB
06-23-2013, 03:36 PM
There's another perfectly good woodchipper ruined.....

AIRret
06-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Great suggestion, it's a nitch they haven't filled yet.
Personally, I would be open to it, but as a woman with small hands I would have to give the gun a personal "grip test". For me that would be the only "possible negative.

chrish
06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
We've discussed this before from time to time. A lot of folks are like 'no way no how, doesn't fit their niche'. But I for one would welcome it. I'd love to have a 15+ round TP9 w/ the DLC finish and XS Big Dots. I dream about it at night. I'm dreaming about it now.

7shot
06-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Id be very much open to some type of Kahr double stack also, but seems if they were really series about it I'd be out by now.

JohnR
06-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Naw, first they gotta addict us all to the single stack, then addict us to doubles.

If Glock can fit a single stack in their lineup kahr can do a double.

CJB
06-23-2013, 07:44 PM
ok I poo-poo'ed the whole idea....

but what if Kahr made a double stack that was so small and compact it make other single stack pistols a non-contender? If they could do say.... 10 shots of 9mm or 8 shots of 45 all in a package only a little wider at the grip than the current PM series... might be worth looking into.

OTOH, I've gotten my first double stack 45, and the PM45, with its miniscule 6 shots of 45acp still has been residing in my pocket from sunup to sundown.

codegeek
06-23-2013, 07:49 PM
There's another perfectly good woodchipper ruined.....

Bwahahahaha

jpshaw
06-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Oh, I have one. It's called a Glock 19. Actually I want my Kahrs to be thin with small grips like my P9 so it's easy to carry.

JohnR
06-24-2013, 07:14 AM
ok I poo-poo'ed the whole idea....

but what if Kahr made a double stack that was so small and compact it make other single stack pistols a non-contender? If they could do say.... 10 shots of 9mm...
Kel Tec P11, except sexy and with a nice trigger.

Compact double stack .45s I know of: G30, EAA Compact Witness, Warthog, Bersa UC45.

ripley16
06-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Thin is good. I'm still waiting for a single stack polymer HK. Lots of people make thick guns, many fewer make thin guns. If I want a double stack Kahr, I'll buy a Glock. I guess that all means I have no real use or need for a double stack Kahr.

gunshinestateCW9
06-24-2013, 11:07 AM
but what if Kahr made a double stack that was so small and compact it make other single stack pistols a non-contender? If they could do say.... 10 shots of 9mm

Sccy CPX2 is a compact 10+1 9mm msrp <$300. But I'd rather have a 7+1 Kahr IMO

chrish
06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
But a glock 19 still has a glock 19 trigger and a glock 19 grip. Otherwise, yea...but get rid of those 2 things and you might have something there...let the flames begin.

Tomac
06-25-2013, 04:57 AM
So, something like a CW9 w/a doublestack 10rd mag to make it legal in the 10rd states w/a +2 extension mag for the sane states?
Tomac

JFootin
06-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Sounds good. :)

ripley16
06-25-2013, 11:29 AM
But a glock 19 still has a glock 19 trigger and a glock 19 grip. Otherwise, yea...but get rid of those 2 things and you might have something there...let the flames begin.

You may be overlooking the potential change in a double stack Kahr, which may result in a different trigger and would have a different grip.

chrish
06-25-2013, 04:13 PM
You may be overlooking the potential change in a double stack Kahr, which may result in a different trigger and would have a different grip.

Oh, definitely. I agree. My assumption is that it'd be a poly double-stack with the exact same trigger and exact same grip only a bit wider to accommodate the extra rounds.

If they aren't doing that, then all bets are off and I'd want to see it first. But if they were committing up front to produce a double-stack P9/TP9 that looks/functions just like existing Kahr models, then I'd order one (yesterday) sight unseen.

jeepster09
07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Well there are plenty of good double stacks already on the market. I think they would struggle to compete. I love my .40 CZ Rami and my Beretta Cougar. My advice is stick on the good stuff they have and not to stray and sacrafice quality. Look what happened to Coke trying to compete on others turf.

muggsy
07-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Wasn't sure which subforum to post this in, so mods feel free to move it to wherever you feel is appropriate. :)

Is there any interest in a doublestack Kahr?
Kahrs are available in many different sizes but all are singlestack (which I understand as aiding concealment).
If we're talking the larger-framed Kahrs, it seems to me making one doublestack isn't going to significantly alter concealability (problematic w/large-frame pistols to begin with) but would allow it to compete directly with other doublestack pistols while offering lower weight and that great Kahr trigger.

So, good idea or should I stick my head in a woodchipper? :confused:
Tomac

I would love to have a double stack the size of a CW9 for use as a home defense gun. I hate the thought of losing my Gold Cup to the police evidence room should I need to defend my home. I'd also like to see a rail under the barrel for mounting a light.

O'Dell
07-05-2013, 02:20 PM

No flames here - I agree completely. I have never owned one and never will because I can't shoot them worth a darn due to the reasons you mentioned.

O'Dell
07-05-2013, 02:21 PM
I guess I'm in the no way, not ever camp.

Bawanna
07-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Ditto for me. I don't mind dressing for any occasion (long as I don't have to wear a suit or a tie or a pink tutu. If that means more magazines I'm good with that.

I been wanting a Garrett mag holder that holds I think 7 1911 mags, has to weigh a ton all loaded up but for the right occasion it would be the ticket.

Be great for competition shooters as it's spring loaded so the next magazine is in exactly the same spot every time.

chrish
07-05-2013, 04:43 PM
No flames here - I agree completely. I have never owned one and never will because I can't shoot them worth a darn due to the reasons you mentioned.

:D yea, I know most folks knew I was partially joking, partially serious. I truly have little issue w/ Glocks. Fine, quality firearm. I've told most 'new shooters' that have been looking for a carry/HD firearm to put the 19 near the top of their list. That or a revolver. But they just don't do it for me. The few times I've been to the range w/ folks that have them, I shoot them just fine. But I just can't seem to get excited about them, enough to buy one anyway.

I just hope Kahr watches this forum and sees this topic (DS Kahr) pop up from time to time. There have to be enough people that'd buy one to make it as sellable as a metal T series or polymer TP series. Those two lines are pretty much out of the norm for what most people would consider buying (too low capacity for something w/ a 4" barrel, even if it is thinner)...therefore...no reason to not make something else a bit on the fringe if you ask me.

burdicda
07-05-2013, 08:17 PM
My heavy carry gun is a CW45 but on the average you can catch me carrying
a Kel-Tec P11 only because it is the same size as a cm9 but double stack.

Money really didn't have that much to do with it....double stack .....!!

b4uqzme
07-07-2013, 06:13 PM
single stack with back-up mags works for me ---- but Kahr can make whatever they wish --- options are good.

Ugly_Dog
07-07-2013, 07:28 PM
like the single stack because it is easier to carry concealed

muggsy
11-26-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm working on an adapter for my CM9 that will accept a snail drum magazine. I mean if your going to ruin a perfectly good concealed carry gun you might as well go all the way. :)

muggsy
11-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Ditto for me. I don't mind dressing for any occasion (long as I don't have to wear a suit or a tie or a pink tutu. If that means more magazines I'm good with that.

I been wanting a Garrett mag holder that holds I think 7 1911 mags, has to weigh a ton all loaded up but for the right occasion it would be the ticket.

Be great for competition shooters as it's spring loaded so the next magazine is in exactly the same spot every time.

I'd bet you'd look good in a pink tutu, Bawanna. ;)

Pointblank
03-23-2014, 11:37 AM
I think high cap is unnecessary for most people. People forget they are accountable for each and every round they fire. Accountable for not only where it goes, a hit or a miss, but also why they needed to fire each round. I know it's cool to sound macho online, but criminal and civil courts are not fun places. You would be best served training not only for accuracy, but also threat assessment and threat avoidance. As they used to say about Custer, "A good run is better than a bad stand."

chrish
03-23-2014, 12:06 PM
I think high cap is unnecessary for most people. People forget they are accountable for each and every round they fire. Accountable for not only where it goes, a hit or a miss, but also why they needed to fire each round. I know it's cool to sound macho online, but criminal and civil courts are not fun places. You would be best served training not only for accuracy, but also threat assessment and threat avoidance. As they used to say about Custer, "A good run is better than a bad stand."

I agree to a point. Threat avoidance. The Custer quote. Absolutely. But I don't own high capacity firearms for the trip to the atm, grocery store, vacation, or any other casual outing. I own them for the unlikely but possible eventualities in life. Upside down world. The U.S. is no exception and not immune. I own them for the possibility of needing them. If 7 rounds in my P9 are adequate for a single assailant, then it would stand to reason that I should have twice that or more for multiple assailants. Particularly in my home. I own them for convenience at the range. A double stack Kahr would sure be nicer to train with than 6-8 rounds per mag.

If you own a firearm for macho reasons, there are issues of a larger concern at play.

If the government is telling you that 'most people do not need X', there are issues of a larger concern at play.

chrish
03-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Oops. Pointblank. Was not suggesting you were the 'government entity' telling me what I could own. Just noticed your pict and in another thread that you were LEO or exLEO. Was just getting myself wound up in general about the thought of 'what people need', but not directly from your line of thinking above. I realize that was not what your point was with that comment.

downtownv
03-23-2014, 01:33 PM
I always thought Kahr's nitch was thin compact and reliably accurate....

Pointblank
03-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Oops. Pointblank. Was not suggesting you were the 'government entity' telling me what I could own. Just noticed your pict and in another thread that you were LEO or exLEO. Was just getting myself wound up in general about the thought of 'what people need', but not directly from your line of thinking above. I realize that was not what your point was with that comment.

Oh I understand completely and I own a few high-cap pistols myself. My point was it does not alleviate anyone of responsibility. If you live in the city or suburbs you have to be aware of what deploying a pistol means. I'm getting too old to lug a Glock 17 around in my belt and a Smith Airweight doesn't seem like quite enough, so I went with the PM9 and am very happy with it.

Purple Mountain Outdoors
04-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Yes, interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hardluk1
04-24-2014, 06:36 AM
There is a double stack in the same size class as a cw/p kahr all ready out there.
The 12 round double stack that will except a P226 high cap mags too. Cost less than kahrs cw9 with some better features. Don't knock it till you wrap your hands around one. I'm a kahr carrier but some break in time with my wifes this makes me want a 40cal version pt140 g2
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=890&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=MP1

berettabone
04-24-2014, 08:56 AM
There is a double stack in the same size class as a cw/p kahr all ready out there.
The 12 round double stack that will except a P226 high cap mags too. Cost less than kahrs cw9 with some better features. Don't knock it till you wrap your hands around one. I'm a kahr carrier but some break in time with my wifes this makes me want a 40cal version pt140 g2
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=890&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=MP1
Do you work for Taurus?http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif Personally, I wouldn't trust my life with one. There is a reason why you don't see very many people out there, with one.http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

SlowBurn
04-24-2014, 09:34 AM
If I want a double stack Kahr, I'll buy a Glock.

+1. I'd like to see Kahr's management stick to their knitting; improve production, QC, CS etc to meet the huge demand for the guns already in their lineup. They seem stretched pretty thin now, without extending themselves into the saturated market for doublestack.

hardluk1
04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
beretabone I own 3 kahrs that are my cc pistols but have 7 other brands I enjoy for different use's and I try not to be a brand snub. As I have said before With all the people that piss and whine about a kahr you have to join in as a piss and whiner too to make your self feel better ? I carried a taurus ss85 for 20 year as my first cc and still is a very good snubby and like the tcp better than the 380 kahr. If a firearm proves to be dependable and seems well build I have no issues.

berettabone
04-24-2014, 06:41 PM
:rain:

100percent
04-24-2014, 07:30 PM
It looks like Kahr has done a good job at making their weapons less expensive without losing much quality. Parts are available unlike some other guns. Since Taurus is mentioned, they are a company that internal components are not available.

Double stack is not a standard. It might be possible to get another round or two in a mag if the offset is not too much.

Double stack isn't a game changer for me. We all have situations that we envision yet hope that we won't need to use these pocket rockets for.

The main weakness for Kahr is that my hand doesn't fit the grip well. Unlike the bigger and heavier double stack Glock 27, which fits like a glove. The main difference is a slight bulge on the back of grip. The Glock also has a higher grip for better recoil control.

muggsy
05-10-2014, 07:01 AM
I used to be into the missionary position until I tried it doggy style. Variety is the spice of life. :)

downtownv
05-10-2014, 10:22 AM
I used to be into the missionary position until I tried it doggy style. Variety is the spice of life. :)

Please, acid wash my eyes!:puke:

Interest in kahr double stack? 0.0