PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

gunbunny
06-28-2013, 06:17 PM
I've owned several Kahr pistols over the years, but it started when my wife needed a weapon for duty carry, one that would fit her hand. At the time, Kahr was selling a limited number of E-9 pistols- a less expensive alternative to the K-9.

She qualified easily with it and carried it on duty for several years. Only to have to change up to a "standard duty weapon" and had to stop carrying her "pop gun" as it was called by the other officers. She went with a Walther P-99, that was manly enough for her department.

Same caliber... (9mm) :rolleyes:

In the mean time, I purchased a Mk9. I liked it so much that I bought one for my wife as her backup. It was nice having a very similar feel in a smaller package, and the ability to use the E-9's magazines when needed.

When a friend of mine received his carry permit, I sold one of the Mk9's to him. I kind of regret that decision, as the price of a new (I always assumed I could get another one easily) has gone up quite a bit from the time I had originally purchased it.

About a year ago, I purchased a used K-9 from CDNN for a great price. My only regret there was not getting two of them when I could- when I called back a month later they were out of stock. I really like the K-9 over the E-9; having the whole pistol made of stainless steel is comforting in the summer.

I can't really beat up the E-9, the only problem I've ever had with it was the front sight. I had the slide parkerized and the frame duracoated, so corrosion is no longer a problem. Before the process was started, the plastic front sight had to be removed, there was no way around that, but it was easily replaced with a new one.

RevRay
06-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Wow! You may be new here, but you're obviously an old hand at Kahrs. I'll say a quick welcome and then get out of the way for all the long-time KahrTalk officionados to chime in.

yqtszhj
06-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I had a chance to buy an E-9 about 2 years ago for $400 and should have bought it. Oh well.

7shot
06-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Glad you stopped in...I picked up my K9 about a year and a half ago, been my main CC weapon ever since. The MK9 is on my list as well, maybe some day.

b4uqzme
06-29-2013, 03:51 PM
welcome -- I look forward to your contributions.

Jeff023
06-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Hey, also new here, just saying hi :)

Jeff

gunbunny
07-05-2013, 09:13 AM
I had a chance to buy an E-9 about 2 years ago...

The E-9 is just as nice of a pistol (functionally) as the K-9. It's only distractors are the chrome moly slide and staked-in plastic front sight. I wouldn't pass one up if it happened to cross my path, but I don't think they are very common.

My E-9 has a bit more history to it than in my last post. I actually sold it to a friend of mine for his wife to carry, as these are great pistols for those with petite hands (or bigger hands when you get used to it). She learned to shoot well from it, but eventually my friend wanted her to carry the same pistol that he does- a Glock 23.

So, I got it back from him in a trade with a Glock 23. I did miss what the Kahr pistol excels at- concealed carry that the Glock was only marginal in comparison. I don't have a problem selling firearms to my friends, as I know who they went to and that they are being used for their intended purpose. I also get a chance to get them back as in this case.

While my friend had the E-9 in his possession, his wife shot it quite a bit, and had a malfunction with the slide stop. It broke in half and caused the pistol to stop working altogether. He ordered a new part and had it working again in about a week of downtime, but I'm not sure if the incident didn't sour him towards Kahr pistols.

I always had a problem field stripping the E-9, and subsequently the K-9, but was informed that this is normal for these pistols. How common is a broken side stop?

Eventually, I sent the E-9 to a technician that specializes in metal treatment and coatings; and had the chrome molly slide parkerized, and the frame duracoated. I have no concerns about corrosion anymore.