PDA

View Full Version : Also new from Connecticut

Jeff023
06-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi All--

New to the forum although I've been hunting and shooting for way more years than I care to admit, lol. This week I will be picking up my first Kahr Arms / Auto Ordnance, an M1 carbine, about which I've heard almost uniformly good reports. Also shot one my friend has and really liked it. I'm an old guy and like wooden stocks--never have gotten into the AR thing, though I own plain-jane mini-14 that I love.

I'll post pics and a range report once the rifle arrives. Looking forward to reading posts and learning much.

Jeff

wyntrout
06-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forum, Jeff. The M1 carbine can be a lot of fun... a real plinker... and maybe about as cheap to shoot as the .22LR now!

We love pictures and range reports. I hope you have or can find some ammo and break your new toy in properly.

At present, the only rifle I own is a Ruger 10/22, but I would like to have a long gun for better accuracy and stopping power in defense. Hopefully, I'll find something I want as prices go back towards reasonable and finding ammo and magazines is possible.

Wynn:)

Jeff023
06-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your service.:Amflag2: And for the welcome! I actually don't have a .22 at the moment, so we're even. I've been looking around for one identical to the one I learned on--a pre war Remington, not easy to find, lol. I just ordered a mess of .30 carbine ammo from various places. I use ammoseek, which finds online stuff in stock, and I sometimes will buy from an auction page, like gunbroker, if the price is right and there not a lot of shipping. So I managed to get 300 rounds of various kinds of .30 carbine for about 50 cents a round. Not great, but not too terribly awful either. Once I find a brand it really likes I'll buy a thousand round lot and be done with it for awhile.

The carbine strikes me as the perfect little suburban HD rifle--I have about an acre of yard, so my mini-14 is fine, but it weighs around 8lbs loaded, while the carbine is about 5 and change.

Jeff

wyntrout
06-29-2013, 04:16 PM
January last year I didn't have a rifle and decided I needed to get something for prepping. Bought the Walmart all-weather synthetic stock version and then went online and bought 9,200 rounds of assorted ammo when it was plentiful and there were good deals. Now I'm thinking of selling the 10/22 in favor of the break-down model with the threaded barrel... for more versatility! I have a Tactical Solutions Threaded Barrel conversion for my Glocks and just got the Ruger MKIII 22/45 Lite with threaded barrel. I night have to get a suppressor eventually... or throw my own together if the SHTF! I got several kinds of Sub-Sonic .22LR and lots of it, too.

Wynn:)

Jeff023
06-29-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm close to being a kindred spirit--I wouldn't call myself a prepper, but I'm kind of a closet prepper, lol. I keep extra canned food around all the time, I have a cache of clean water, and I have a couple of boxes of freeze-dried rations tucked away. A generator, extra fuel, first-aid stuff, just sort of everything you might want. Oddly enough, I've had to use some of it in the last few years. I live right on the coast in Connecticut--we've had a couple of major storms and hurricanes with the power knocked out for a week or more. Sent the family inland to stay with relatives while I stuck it out here. Was damn glad I was ready.

I keep thinking a 10/22 takedown model would be great for a bug-out bag among other things. There are so many guns, so little time, eh?