PDA

View Full Version : dry fire

AIRret
07-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Does it matter if you have a magazine in your gun when you dry fire?

I saw a u-tube video the other day that said you shouldn't dry fire a 1911 without a magazine. So is that true?
And what about Kahrs?

RRP
07-06-2013, 05:56 PM
AIRret, I deliberately leave the mag out.

After every dry-fire trigger pull, I was taught to execute an immediate action drill (tap, rack, reassess/bang). The purpose is to condition oneself to clear malfunctions, without hesitation.

Racking with an empty mag would result in a slide lock, so I leave the mag out.

BTW, the USMC operator (ret) who taught me this, shoots a 1911. He dry-fires w/o a mag.

jocko
07-06-2013, 06:15 PM
I wonder why it would make an difference in any semi auto. A magazine has nuttin to do with the action. With a kahr just a 1/4 pull back on the slide and ur good to g o again for dry firing. or u can do the drill and give the slide a full retraction and be good to go but if u have a magazinein there it is gonna lock open that way to.

AIRret
07-06-2013, 07:08 PM
I always dry fire without the mag because of the reasons you folks listed above.
However, there was a u-tube video to the contrary and since I DEFINITELY do not know all there is to know about guns, I thought I would ask.

Thanks folks, I guess I'll just go back to what I've always done, dry fire without the mag.

gb6491
07-06-2013, 07:17 PM
I wonder why it would make an difference in any semi auto. A magazine has nuttin to do with the action. With a kahr just a 1/4 pull back on the slide and ur good to g o again for dry firing. or u can do the drill and give the slide a full retraction and be good to go but if u have a magazinein there it is gonna lock open that way to.

There are some semiautomatic pistols that can be damaged by dry firing without a magazine in place. One that comes immediately to mind is Ruger's P345. It has a magazine disconnect safety; the safety's plunger and firing pin can be damaged if the magazine is not in place to operate the safety.
Regards,
Greg

muggsy
12-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Dry firing can work harden the firing pin of a 1911 and cause it to fail. You should only dry fire a 1911 using dummy rounds or snap caps. You don't have to cycle the slide to cock the hammer. Mag out won't hurt a thing.

O'Dell
12-30-2013, 11:57 AM
There are some semiautomatic pistols that can be damaged by dry firing without a magazine in place. One that comes immediately to mind is Ruger's P345. It has a magazine disconnect safety; the safety's plunger and firing pin can be damaged if the magazine is not in place to operate the safety.
Regards,
Greg

That's true - I had one of those monsters. Good gun but big and heavy. I only have one other pistol with the mag safety, a S&W CS45. I wonder if the same rules apply.

garyb
12-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Does it matter if you have a magazine in your gun when you dry fire?

I saw a u-tube video the other day that said you shouldn't dry fire a 1911 without a magazine. So is that true?
And what about Kahrs?

Airret, I dry fire practice with my PM40 all the time. Great practice especially with a CTL. I practice both with and without a mag in, depending on what I am practicing. Sometimes I practice mag exchanges during dry fire. As far as the PM is concerned...does not matter. Just keep practicing. I am sure it causes some type of very minor wear...like anything. But I feel the practice is important. Whatever wears out, whether it is shooting it or dry fire practice, I will replace. I've been doing this for a few years without any problems.